Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Black paint options for top of 914, flat vs textured surface
My 914
post Feb 24 2018, 06:32 AM
Post #1

Casual Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,928
Region Association: North East States

I have been thinking about repainting the top of my car and have seen tops with a flat black smooth finish and others with a textured finish. Were both original options and is there any advantage of one vs the other or is it more of a personal preference?
Thanks for any input/suggestions
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 24 2018, 07:41 AM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I think the textured finish looks better if you use the targa vinyl. Smooth looks good if you go vinyl free but is a lot of work to make it look nice.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Cornell89
post Feb 24 2018, 07:56 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 21,706
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 24 2018, 08:41 AM) *

I think the textured finish looks better if you use the targa vinyl. Smooth looks good if you go vinyl free but is a lot of work to make it look nice.

The texture on my top was fine but the paint had worn thin, so I just re-painted it with Krylon Satin Black (<$4 a can at Walmart). Took about 4 coats to get it right, but I am pleased with the end result.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
JOEPROPER
post Feb 24 2018, 08:22 AM
Post #4

The answer is "no" unless you ask...

Member No.: 19,387

I like the black textured look. I think it's necessary with the vinyl and gives good contrast without. My red car has a smooth painted top, but I'll probably change that at some point.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 24 2018, 10:39 AM
Post #5

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(My 914 @ Feb 24 2018, 05:32 AM) *

I have been thinking about repainting the top of my car and have seen tops with a flat black smooth finish and others with a textured finish. Were both original options and is there any advantage of one vs the other or is it more of a personal preference?
Thanks for any input/suggestions

For anyone trying to do an originality restoration, they should do it as per the factory. Otherwise it's a matter of preference. One advantage to the texture, is that it hides the flaws in the the fiberglass used for the top which would need to be first finished to dead smooth - which takes time, patience & skill (ask any 'Vette owner about body work).

To answer your question on how they came - they all came from the factory with the same textured finish & satin black paint, the same as used on the F & R Valances, & L & R Rocker Covers - & on the 73-74 MY only, on the black painted steel F & R Bumpers (IIRC the steel roofs of the factory racers 914-6GT were smooth painted).

Everything else from smooth black, to body color are repaints by later owners.

You can just top coat the textured top, if it's still in good shape.

If you want to do yours as original, there is a topic or a few in the O&H Forum on using Wurth Underbody Schutz & satin black paint. Use google search to find it, since the search function on here doesn't work as well. Also try out your techniques for the texture & top paint on some scrap metal, coated cardboard or something first, in order to get it down before doing the parts.

A house painter or Architect would call the texture a "heavy eggshell finish".

If your Valences, Rockers &/or Bumpers also need some TLC, then do them all together.

On your 73 V8 conversion you can also do whatever else you want, since it's not an originality resto, but a resto-mod anyway.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////

+Quote Post
My 914
post Feb 24 2018, 05:25 PM
Post #6

Casual Member

Member No.: 19,928

Thanks for the excellent comments and suggestions. The top of the car currently has a satin black smooth finish and unfortunately, every smudge and fingerprint shows up on it. I like the idea of the black textured finish and will redo the rocker covers while I'm at it.
Cheers!
+Quote Post
914-300Hemi
post Feb 25 2018, 09:45 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 6,794
Region Association: Southern California

Here is a Youtube link to Ed China restoring a 914 top on th Wheeler Dealer TV Show.
Wheeler Dealer 914 detailing
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:34 AM