Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stock grind camshaft brand, What is decent
mihai914
post Feb 24 2018, 11:24 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,697
Region Association: None

Hi to all,

I'm getting ready to have the original 2.0 rebuilt. The only mod will be some Euro Kolbenschmidt P&Cs. Everything else will be stock. I will keep the D-jet.

I have my parts li$$$t ready and the only thing I am having difficulty making a choice is on the camshaft and lifter combo.

I searched the forum and most posts refer to cam choices for carbed engines or 2056, with Raby cams (9550) and WebCams (73) highly regarded.

There just isn't that much info on stock grind and there even is doubt on the specs from different vendors.

Major vendors who offer stock cams are EMW, Scat, CBPerformance, Type4store, WebCam and Pelican. Prices vary from $200 to $1000.

Anyone have recommandations or should I just go with a factory cam from Pelican with the Febi lifters?

Thanks for your help.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
worn
post Feb 24 2018, 11:35 AM
Post #2

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Thanks for posting this. I think I would have been better off with a stock cam in my 2056, but ended up with a Raby-style cam from WebCam. I think it is very high quality, but harder to manage with the stock FI. Finding stock cams was surprisingly hard. In retrospect I think I should have sent my cam off for a regrind.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Feb 24 2018, 03:55 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

webcam makes a nicely stock cam for 914 fuel injection.

QUOTE(mihai914 @ Feb 24 2018, 10:24 AM) *

Hi to all,

I'm getting ready to have the original 2.0 rebuilt. The only mod will be some Euro Kolbenschmidt P&Cs. Everything else will be stock. I will keep the D-jet.

I have my parts li$$$t ready and the only thing I am having difficulty making a choice is on the camshaft and lifter combo.

I searched the forum and most posts refer to cam choices for carbed engines or 2056, with Raby cams (9550) and WebCams (73) highly regarded.

There just isn't that much info on stock grind and there even is doubt on the specs from different vendors.

Major vendors who offer stock cams are EMW, Scat, CBPerformance, Type4store, WebCam and Pelican. Prices vary from $200 to $1000.

Anyone have recommandations or should I just go with a factory cam from Pelican with the Febi lifters?

Thanks for your help.

+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Feb 24 2018, 05:03 PM
Post #4

Please forgive me, I'm new to all of this!

Member No.: 20,991
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(mihai914 @ Feb 24 2018, 09:24 AM) *

Hi to all,

Thanks for your help.

I had the same problem, but was able to source a NOS VW Camshaft and lifters right in the middle of your price range noted. I am using a set of 96mm P&Cs for a 2056 with original D Jet as well. If you have the time and search the net using the correct Porsche/VW part #s you may be able to find exactly what you need.

I did the same for the internals of my 901 transmission rebuild with the same result. Its still out there if you look hard enough.
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Feb 24 2018, 08:01 PM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Send your cam to Elgin Camshafts. Go to their website and look at your choices.
+Quote Post
jcd914
post Feb 24 2018, 11:22 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
Elgin has a grind that is a slight improvement over stock without messing with the stock fuel injection

Jim
+Quote Post
mihai914
post Feb 25 2018, 06:15 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 3,697

Thank you to all for your input. I think I will send the best camshaft I have laying around to Elgin and see what they can do with it. I'll give them a call on Monday to see what they recommend for the lifters.

By the time the engine will be ready for reassembly, I may get lucky and find a NOS combo and use the rebuilt on the next engine he build.
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Feb 25 2018, 11:30 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 10,428
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I don't think you can go wrong with Elgin.

I went with a FAT cam & lifters. They have a bone stock grind available, but also have a slightly more aggressive grind (the 440MP) that works well with the factory FI.

+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Feb 25 2018, 12:29 PM
Post #9

Please forgive me, I'm new to all of this!

Member No.: 20,991
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(mihai914 @ Feb 25 2018, 04:15 AM) *

Thank you to all for your input. I think I will send the best camshaft I have laying around to Elgin and see what they can do with it. I'll give them a call on Monday to see what they recommend for the lifters.

By the time the engine will be ready for reassembly, I may get lucky and find a NOS combo and use the rebuilt on the next engine he build.

Try German Supply in Toronto for the lifters and Bug City in CT. For lifters and Cam. That’s where I found mine. Good luck!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:44 AM