Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Car and Driver Article, 914 2.0 for $100k?
mmascari
post Feb 24 2018, 03:30 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,850
Region Association: None

https://blog.caranddriver.com/if-any-porsch...ark-this-is-it/
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Feb 24 2018, 03:47 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

They are misguided.

Although I personally think that 914s are worth more than any other car in my delusion, a car that has had a hundred holes bored into it and filled with tar is not worth 100 grand. I would value this car at 50 max. Any more than that and the person purchasing does not know what they are looking at, having no idea of the value

QUOTE(mmascari @ Feb 24 2018, 02:30 PM) *
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Feb 24 2018, 07:20 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

It’ll be interesting to see what happens at the auction. If you have a couple of bidders that want something different (and have had a few adult beverages to loosen their wallets), it might get a fair price with the Brumos name.
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Feb 24 2018, 07:25 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 12,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Yeah it's too bad that car was originally Ziebarted... too bad we didn't know more way back when.
+Quote Post
Steve
post Feb 24 2018, 11:40 PM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

Love the comments!! Someone compared our cars to a rotary phone versus a new Porsche would be a smart phone. You would have to be one hell of a collector with money to burn to throw away a 100k on a rotary phone.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Feb 25 2018, 12:17 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

Did I miss it, or did the piece sort of skip so many incredible sale prices for 914-4 vehicles at auction on the way to "struggled to surpass $15,000" comment? Also, we've seen good 914-6 vehicles go well over $70k.

Now, do I think this is a $100k 914-4? Personally, no. But then, a certain yeller big-bumpered 1.8 caught me off guard...and I'd rather have this than that. YMMV.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Feb 25 2018, 06:33 AM
Post #7

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Car and Driver's writer standards have dropped, maybe their editing standards too. Someone needs teach them about 914s or better yet, show them how to ask someone that knows.

Sure, its a Brumos car, but even if it were Charo's personal gucci gucci car, that would only take the car up so far....

This is pure hype.

Look on the bright side, maybe if it goes for $125K or so, all of those BHCC cars on eBay will start moving!
+Quote Post
carr914
post Feb 25 2018, 06:50 AM
Post #8

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

I do not remember Ever seeing that car at Brumos! And I went thru their Museum every few months in the 2000s
+Quote Post
Cal
post Feb 25 2018, 10:15 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 18,138
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 24 2018, 04:47 PM) *

They are misguided.

Although I personally think that 914s are worth more than any other car in my delusion, a car that has had a hundred holes bored into it and filled with tar is not worth 100 grand. I would value this car at 50 max. Any more than that and the person purchasing does not know what they are looking at, having no idea of the value

QUOTE(mmascari @ Feb 24 2018, 02:30 PM) *

I'm not sure the rust proofing treatment is going to effect the value of this car....it was very common back in the day. I've seen million dollar vintage cars with the same treatment and it hasn't affected their value.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 25 2018, 10:36 AM
Post #10

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I remember going to the mall with my father and stopping at a Ziebart booth. My dad was interested until the salesman told him they would drill 100 1/2” holes in his Jaguar.

The white ‘75 that I found just 2 miles from my house was a one owner car that was Ziebarted. It had 100 holes with black plastic plugs all throughout the car. Nothing could stop it from rusting while it was left outside in a dirt lot for 4 years. What I found funny is they had drilled a hole in the bottom door sill where the rear fender starts. There is no cavity there, it’s just one layer. So it was a hole to a wide open space. It must have been a spot on the chart so the tech made the hole even though the back of the fender was wide open. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Feb 25 2018, 11:19 AM
Post #11

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

The R&T article is much better writing.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/cl...socialflowFBRAT
+Quote Post
Pursang
post Feb 25 2018, 11:23 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 15,386
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

...and here's another thing, the mileage is so low that it adds to the value of the car but practically guarantees that whomever buys the car will keep it as a garage queen, probably not accumulating another 5000 miles before hell freezes over. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
struckn
post Feb 25 2018, 12:23 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 13,764
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Interesting but who cares. I got mine and you got yours, and those who never owned one will never get what the 914 is all about. Also, people try to compare the 914 to more modern cars which is a stupid comparison, IMO.

Some of us love the old feel of how things use to be when cars had to be driven verses the new cars which are boring, over designed and engineered. Two different Worlds.

Didn't Jerry Seinfeld keep his and sell the rest. Leno loves the 914s also.
+Quote Post
dcheek
post Feb 25 2018, 04:00 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 6,103

In my opinion this sale is going to set the bar for 4 cylinder 914's moving forward. The fact that there has been so much chatter on the internet and publications is fueling the fire. I guess you could chalk that up to good marketing on the part of Gooding, or that low mileage original 914's are really rare. Either way I think we are going to see a record here.

This car has a lot going for it; color, mileage and being a 2 liter are just a few. Doesn't hurt to throw the Brumos name in there even though it has no racing history. Add that Gooding attracts the high rollers and a BIG Porsche turnout at Amelia, and you have the perfect storm to blow away the numbers.

Again IMHO.

Dave

+Quote Post
Cal
post Feb 25 2018, 05:47 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 18,138
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(dcheek @ Feb 25 2018, 05:00 PM) *

In my opinion this sale is going to set the bar for 4 cylinder 914's moving forward. The fact that there has been so much chatter on the internet and publications is fueling the fire. I guess you could chalk that up to good marketing on the part of Gooding, or that low mileage original 914's are really rare. Either way I think we are going to see a record here.

This car has a lot going for it; color, mileage and being a 2 liter are just a few. Doesn't hurt to throw the Brumos name in there even though it has no racing history. Add that Gooding attracts the high rollers and a BIG Porsche turnout at Amelia, and you have the perfect storm to blow away the numbers.

Again IMHO.

Dave

I agree.....this should bring big money from a collector. It's interesting to see how the values are climbing for high end cars....here's what hagerty values a '74 2.0L.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Feb 25 2018, 06:04 PM
Post #16

Please forgive me, I'm new to all of this!

Member No.: 20,991
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Cal @ Feb 25 2018, 03:47 PM) *

Again IMHO.

Dave

I agree.....this should bring big money from a collector. It's interesting to see how the values are climbing for high end cars....here's what hagerty values a '74 2.0L.

Holy Shiz, when did that happen??? The #1 Concours '73 & '74 2.0 cars were $34K 60 days ago. I guess these are considered real Porsches now.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
+Quote Post
dcheek
post Feb 26 2018, 07:59 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 6,103

QUOTE(914 7T3 @ Feb 25 2018, 04:04 PM) *

QUOTE(Cal @ Feb 25 2018, 03:47 PM) *

Again IMHO.

Dave

Holy Shiz, when did that happen??? The #1 Concours '73 & '74 2.0 cars were $34K 60 days ago. I guess these are considered real Porsches now.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

What happened? What's happening is that people are waking up and realizing what a wonderful sports car it is. It's long overdue.

Dave
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:02 AM