Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Recommendations & feedback on TIG welders
draganc
post Feb 24 2018, 08:12 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,000
Region Association: North East States

Hi Folks!

Looking for first hand experience with AC/DC TIG welders for Al and Ti.

I'm looking to weld mainly 6061 up to max 1/4", some thin wall Ti and
anything in between.

Budget-range $1500 to $2500 max.

Currently dialing in on Miller and ESAB but to recommendations.

Thanks in advance!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

dc

PS: open to used units in the tri-state area, just in case someone is selling.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bretth
post Feb 24 2018, 10:21 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 18,882
Region Association: Southwest Region

I purchased a Lincoln square wave tig 200 last year after alot of research. In general it seems that the Miller units are known for great torches and Lincoln is the better welding unit. The things that made me buy the Lincoln over the Miller was that the Miller units in the price range I was looking at ($1500.00) did not allow for changing different individual settings. Everything was automatic on the Miller but individual settings can be changed on the Lincoln without effecting other settings. To me more automation seems more limiting. Miller offers many different torches which is great but the Lincoln torch that came with my unit has a great flexable head to get into tight places too. The other reason I got the Lincoln was that it ran on 120 and 230v. Miller were 230 only. The only thing I don't like about my Lincoln is that you cannot adjust the post flow time and it runs a little long kind of wasting your gas. I almost didn't get it for that reason but all other benefits outweighed this issue for me.

Brett
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Feb 24 2018, 11:15 PM
Post #3

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659

QUOTE(draganc @ Feb 24 2018, 09:12 PM) *

Currently dialing in on Miller and ESAB but to recommendations.

I'd highly recommend looking at HTP, the Invertig 221 is an awesome welder. They run ~$2400 and are worth every penny. I've got probably 2000 hours welding on one over the last 10-ish years and have been really impressed. I haven't welded any Ti, but have welded carbon/stainless steels, inconel, a bunch of different aluminum alloys (incl. the casting alloys), and magnesium from soda can/razor thicknesses to about 3/16 inch.

For reference, I've spent a considerable time running a Miller Syncrowave 300 and bit of time with an Econotig. The HTP blows both out of the water. After welding on it I've really become a strong believe in inverter (vs. transformer) machines. Perhaps a Dynasty would be better, but one with comparable control settings is significantly more expensive.

Edit: Running 1/4" 6061 single pass requires a lot of power and really pumps heat into the torch. If you're going to do that regularly I think you need at least a 250A machine and water cooler. The max I've done single pass is ~3/16" without preheating.
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Feb 24 2018, 11:27 PM
Post #4

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659

Besides the welder, don't forget more toys...

A gas lense kit can be really helpful. Both being able to see better with a pyrex cup and push out the electrode a bit better with additional the flow straighteners is nice in some situations.

If you're doing a lot of tight work, a CK #9 torch is also a nice piece of kit. A ton of my hours were doing roll cages and one proved indispensable vs. the more standard #17.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Feb 24 2018, 11:33 PM
Post #5

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

I just bought an Everlast digital stick/TIG with pump/tank/water cooler for $1900 on sale. I've used TIG on stainless and aluminum. I've also burned a ton of stick on it. It works great. I'm very happy with the purchase and it has way more features than I will ever use. I love the HF start!

I even managed to get a free bottle of gas from Airgas. The kid only charged me for a refill and threw the tank in my truck. He told me he was supposed to charge me a $400 deposit on the bottle and asked if I worked for corporate. I said no and he said have a nice day.
+Quote Post
draganc
post Feb 25 2018, 12:02 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Feb 24 2018, 10:33 PM) *

I just bought an Everlast digital stick/TIG with pump/tank/water cooler for $1900 on sale. I've used TIG on stainless and aluminum. I've also burned a ton of stick on it. It works great. I'm very happy with the purchase and it has way more features than I will ever use. I love the HF start!

I even managed to get a free bottle of gas from Airgas. The kid only charged me for a refill and threw the tank in my truck. He told me he was supposed to charge me a $400 deposit on the bottle and asked if I worked for corporate. I said no and he said have a nice day.

which model did you get and wehre did you get the "sales" deal?

Everlast was actually my number 2 welder, but i heared poor reviwes about their warranty/service support. apparantly if it works, it works great but any reapir is a 2-4 weeks turn-around.

+1 ony the features and spec sheet!

+Quote Post
draganc
post Feb 25 2018, 12:03 AM
Post #7

PS: and thanks to all the other inputs!
+Quote Post
sithot
post Feb 25 2018, 06:20 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 7,090

QUOTE(draganc @ Feb 25 2018, 01:03 AM) *

PS: and thanks to all the other inputs!

Miller. Their dealer network is 2nd to none.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Feb 25 2018, 07:24 AM
Post #9

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I felt it important to note the standard heads on torches regardless of what brand are not movable. They are just copper tubing and can easily break. The I heads are really the only ones that are designed to move..

Regarding brand miller holds 65% of the total market within north America.. That in itself says allot.. I personally like the dynasty 210 but the invertec 205 is good as well..
+Quote Post
draganc
post Mar 2 2018, 03:25 PM
Post #10

Thanks for all the inputs, and to my own surprise, I did end up with a Lincoln Squarewave 200. Whereas I still believe that the ESAB is the "better" welder due to the fact it has more adjustability, it lacks service support in my area.

Also, on a 1:1 comparison the Lincoln is equall with the Miller but $400-800 cheaper.

Super happy with my first AC Al welding experience!
Still have to figure out how to deal with the clear anodization, but I think I have found a way - oven cleaner.

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
gothspeed
post Mar 2 2018, 04:08 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 10,019

Fantastic choice! I have been running a Lincoln Square Wave for 10+ years with zero issues! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
If you do any sanding or metal cutting around your TIG machine, the only precaution I would take is to apply a light gauze or fine sheer fabric over the fan/ventilation grates (I actually taped on some 'used dryer sheets' for a time (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) ). It goes a long way towards reducing dust build up inside the unit. I decided to do this after the first time I vacuumed/cleaned inside the machine (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) . This 'filter' has had little to no effect on air flow or cooling, as I rarely ever go beyond 60% amperage capacity. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

I have not had good experience with the one time I decided to 'switch' and buy a Miller Inverter TIG. I had to take it back after only 3 days of 'trying' maintain a steady arc. Come to find out the machine was defective right out of the box. The dealer tried it, called the Miller rep and he tried it and they both reluctantly agreed it was defective. They wanted to 'fix it' under warranty and they said it would take 4-5 weeks to repair (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) . I paid for it in full, had it for 3 days and they wanted me to wait a month+ to get it fixed?? ... uhhhh .... nope, give me my refund!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Mar 2 2018, 10:41 PM
Post #12

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

QUOTE(draganc @ Feb 24 2018, 10:02 PM) *

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Feb 24 2018, 10:33 PM) *

which model did you get and wehre did you get the "sales" deal?

Everlast was actually my number 2 welder, but i heared poor reviwes about their warranty/service support. apparantly if it works, it works great but any reapir is a 2-4 weeks turn-around.

+1 ony the features and spec sheet!

Bought direct from their shop in South San Francisco. Crazy Russian guy. CASH talks. 250ex...
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Mar 3 2018, 04:57 PM
Post #13

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

I basically have the same machine as Mike but mine is a 256 Si which also has a 60 amp plasma cutter.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:49 PM