Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How to lock all gears/???, pulling the gear stack
jr91472
post Jun 3 2005, 04:41 PM
Post #1

"I'm pacing myself sergeant..."

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,437

I got the tranny out of the car and am ready to pull the gear stack. But, I cannot seem to get both 3rd and 5th gears engaged (in order to lock the stack).

I have read both Redbeard's and Bondo's accounts of how to do this, but no luck. I have the shift input thing out, rear cover off. I can get any of the gears to go one at a time (i.e. 1st only, 3rd only, and 5th only). But only can I get both 1st and 5th to engage together. The 2/3 shift rod will only go into 3rd, if no other gears are engaged1!!!

How hard can I hit it? Is there a specific order I should follow? Do I need to lock 1, 3, and 5? Or just 3 and 5?

Another thought, can I go ahead and pull the stack as is and try and lock the gears once the stack is removed (then take off the expansion bolt, etc)?

any thoughts would be appreciated.

JR

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bondo
post Jun 3 2005, 04:47 PM
Post #2

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

I always have a little trouble with this. Put it in neutral, spin it a bit and try again. Also try pushing down on both rods at once. It's taken me as many as 5 mins, and I've had to get out a rubber hammer and pound on the rods before. Just keep trying and it'll go. (if you want to make things easier on yourself, make sure the roll pin in the castellated nut is not pointing towards the pinion shaft when you lock the shafts.. it makes it easier to remove)
+Quote Post
jr91472
post Jun 3 2005, 04:55 PM
Post #3

"I'm pacing myself sergeant..."

Member No.: 2,437

QUOTE (bondo @ Jun 3 2005, 02:47 PM)
(if you want to make things easier on yourself, make sure the roll pin in the castellated nut is not pointing towards the pinion shaft when you lock the shafts.. it makes it easier to remove)

noted...thanks (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
phantom914
post Jun 3 2005, 05:00 PM
Post #4

non-914-owner non-club member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,708

What Bondo said. And no, I wouldn't take the stack out as is and try to take the expansion bolt out that way. There won't be the leverage to hold things and there will be nothing to hold the shafts in place in order to lock them.

By the way, instead of using the big ass crescent wrench on the input shaft, you can use a 1-1/4" crowfoot wrench. That will also allow you to retorque things correctly when you put things back together. In my case, with my torque wrench, I just multiply the required torque by 0.8 to compensate for the length of the crowfoot.

Andrew
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th June 2024 - 08:32 PM