Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Build me a Strong 4!, Yes, you heard me!
Andyrew
post Jul 10 2003, 05:44 PM
Post #21

Spooling.... Please wait

Group: Members
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

How is your suspension tuned? What kind of tires? brakes? how are YOU mounted in the car? Are you moving around? Do you have harness's? Have you done any lightening? (yaya, the list goes on) My point is have you done all the other stuff..

Edit, I looked at your pics and it appears track worthy, but what are the specs? Maybe if you get your car professionally alighned (I hear it works wonders). Just throwing out some suggestions.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post Jul 10 2003, 05:52 PM
Post #22

Group:
Member No.: 0

Suspension is pretty good. err, Bilsteins all around, front sway bar (23mm?) rear stock(??) bar, 911 5 lug and brakes all around, 205/45/16 R3S03 Hoosiers, Momo race seat mounted straight to the floor. FG bumpers front and rear. no interior, and also a Fuel safe fuel cell in front trunk.

I haven't done much lightening yet because that is later on in the line. The body work, I will do all at once, FG hood F/R, FG fenders and rear 1/4's.

I have no clue how the tranny is setup. I think the gearing is pretty damn short though. I find myself using all the gears. Should I do a tranny tear down and count teeth? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jul 10 2003, 05:55 PM
Post #23

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

You can swap the gears around to get better ratios. Just switching 5th and 3rd really perks the car up with a four banger. What is the top speed you see on the track?

Geoff
+Quote Post
Tony C
post Jul 10 2003, 06:41 PM
Post #24

Master of Fire and Metal

Member No.: 25

20hp does not = 8 seconds, sorry.

-tony (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jul 10 2003, 07:17 PM
Post #25

Aircooled Baby!

Maybe if he slaps Type R stickers all over the car it will.
+Quote Post
redshift
post Jul 10 2003, 07:27 PM
Post #26

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

I added those type R stickers (had to look all over town, they are popular!) as per your instructions on the PP BBS, I also bought one of those kits off ebay that makes your car pass gas... err.. something like that, and after placing a Tornado I bought off TV in my airbox, I estimate I have gained 300bhp, at least it 'feels' like it.

I am thinking about using 2 Tornadoes in series.

M
+Quote Post
post Jul 10 2003, 07:38 PM
Post #27

Group:

I have no clue what top speeds I am hitting. speedo is wayyy off. 90mph + - 10. haha. I just need some suggestions on what to do with this engine.

Yes Tony, I know 20hp does not = 8 seconds. I think the extra HP would make the car atleast fun to drive. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) I tried the Type R stickers, they helped me out a little. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif)
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Jeff Krieger
post Jul 10 2003, 08:25 PM
Post #28

Unregistered

Save up your money and buy one of these .
+Quote Post
post Jul 10 2003, 09:10 PM
Post #29

Group:

I am leaning towards carbs now after some research and feedback. I know absolutely nothing about them, and how to tune and stuff. What to get? I saw these on Ebay Click click click

What about throttle linkages and stuff like that? Would I be able to just purchase some manifolds for carbs and get something else?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jul 10 2003, 09:15 PM
Post #30

Aircooled Baby!

Throwing on carbs on a motor that has a stock FI cam will result in less hp.

You probably would do better to get atleast 2 914club stickers to get that 20hp you want (10hp each sticker). I really noticed a difference after I stuck on 4 off them, lots more power plus the car is now a chick magnet!

Geoff
+Quote Post
post Jul 10 2003, 09:32 PM
Post #31

Group:

I'm definately going to get a new cam. Probably going to do this first.

cam
carbs
P/C's
headwork
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
cha914
post Jul 10 2003, 10:04 PM
Post #32

MUSR 8 - 5lug conversion done wed - drive 500miles thrus

Member No.: 63

Do you have to stay 2.0L for your class or can you go larger?

If I was going to do a race engine, i would do an agressive webcam, carbs 44+ probably (get the CB performance linkage and manifolds - you can get carbs linkage and manifolds for ~600) and carbs are easy, you would be able to get them under control after a few times messing with them.

P/C - depends on size, if I was staying near stock I would probably do birals w/ KB pistons...any bigger than 96 I would go with the Nickies and forged pistons...

Valve train...I would go with the ceramic lifters and other lightweight goodies...try and make that thing spin...

Heads, send 'em out and have them worked over by someone who knows what they are doing...headflowmasters, rimco, I don't know who is in good graces now or not...but have the shop match the rest of your setup with valve sizes etc...

Then have the whole mess balanced...dry sump if you are really serious...and finish it of with a ceramic coated tangerine header...

well...theres my 3cents...feel free to tear it apart...depending on sizes and how high you move the power band I would think you could easily get 140 and maybe more...I have heard about 2.0L engines that make 200hp, but they rev to 8K and need a rebuild pretty often....

course what do I know...I had Jake build my engine...but its not a full race motor...

Tony
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Jul 10 2003, 11:36 PM
Post #33

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(L8Apex @ Jul 10 2003, 12:08 PM)
I am going to pull my engine this week after an embarassing weekend at sears point.  Too little horsepower.  Can't even keep up with the 944's.

You still might have a challenge keeping up with the 944's (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

With my previous 2.4/four (weber 44's, header, cams, crane cd, etc) I was running very even with Glen Uslan at the Streets of Willow POC events; he's got a 944NA (2.5L) full race prepped car with approx the same mod points that I was running. We both had somewhere between 140-160hp I would guesstimate. Glen is not known for being a really quick driver, but the point is those cars have a modern, good-revving powerplant and fantastic handling, balance and brakes. Rick White also used to be very, very quick in his 924S. Of course he was/is an extremely experienced, smooth driver.

I guess what I'm trying to say is...20-40 more HP doesn't guarantee squat out on the track (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mightyohm
post Jul 10 2003, 11:43 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 162

Buy one of Raby's engines and sell me your 2.0. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

Or you can try my 1.7 on the track. You will reach a new level of slow.
+Quote Post
post Jul 11 2003, 12:25 AM
Post #35

Group:

WoW, thanks for the help. Let's keep this thread alive for more info as I start the parts ordering.

I will need to keep this 2.2L and under to meet class rules. I will be on the search for carbs as my first order of business. So CB Performance has some carbs for $600? Or are you trying to say that I can get some carbs for that price. So what's all this I hear about IDF, IDA, 44's, 48's, 40's. etc.... What should I be looking for? For the cam, do I have to get a cam according to what carbs I am running? If not, I will just pick up a web cam soon just to get started.

As for the headers, how are those "euro" race headers out there? I have seen them and i like them alot. Also the price is right too. I'll make my own muffler, or just not run one.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
seanery
post Jul 11 2003, 12:10 PM
Post #36

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100
Region Association: None

Read webcam's info on cams. They give a pretty good description on how the cam will perform. They specify carb or FI cam.

search cams in our club history (go past 30 days) and you will see a discussion and links.
+Quote Post
seanery
post Jul 11 2003, 12:12 PM
Post #37

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100
Region Association: None

Here it is:

cam talk
+Quote Post
Jeff Krieger
post Jul 11 2003, 12:17 PM
Post #38

Unregistered

QUOTE(L8Apex @ Jul 10 2003, 11:25 PM)
I will need to keep this 2.2L and under to meet class rules.

Why are you limited to 2.2L when 944s are at least 2.5L? Don't seem fair to me.
+Quote Post
cha914
post Jul 11 2003, 12:46 PM
Post #39

MUSR 8 - 5lug conversion done wed - drive 500miles thrus

Member No.: 63

Cbperformance has the whole kit, new carbs, new manifolds, new linkage for 600...

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=493

I am guessing you will want to go with 44 IDF's...IDA's only come in 48's from what I remember and that is gonna be too big for a 2.2, hell even 44's might be too big, but I run em on my 2056 with good success. Also, if you call CB be sure to tell them what jets you want in the carb as they will change it fromt the standard combo for you if you ask...saves a few bucks later...talk to Baya if you can, she is really good.

Personally, I would find someone to do the head work and/or talk to webcam at the very least and start making a plan for your engine combo...you want everything matched or you could end up with less power than you have now. So, decide on valve sizes, head cc's, compression ratio, what kinda rpm range you want to be in, etc, and that will help you to choose the right cam.

And as far as headers go, I think the euro-race ones are a decent one, just be sure they have the stub pipe design...although if you are in the quest for more power, then you should pony up for the tangerine headers...as they make the most.

good luck,

Tony
+Quote Post
post Jul 11 2003, 01:01 PM
Post #40

Group:

I want to keep it under 2.2 to meet PCA rules ( I think that's the rule for what i want to be in.)

Tony, thanks for the tips! I will check with Webcam to or CB perf. to see what they can do for me.

T
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 03:17 PM