Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Build me a Strong 4!, Yes, you heard me!
my15window
post Jul 12 2003, 11:10 PM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 465

I'm from O.C.Cal, home of most all the aircooled scene I come from the V.W. side,big motor bus ,Big motor oval window, big motor 914 then throw on the biggest webers around, the sand guys doing the turbo uprights T4s you guys allways talk about resale value? hell It"s a money hole like the rest,why the worry about EFI unless it's C.B.s 1700$ unit? damn build it Big! build it good,drive it hard who cares if you need to freshin it up after 20,000 miles? 90% of us use them for a 2nd or 3rd car anyways Jake Raby"s got the right attitude about type 4s i
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
cha914
post Jul 12 2003, 11:17 PM
Post #62

MUSR 8 - 5lug conversion done wed - drive 500miles thrus

Member No.: 63

You should probably go hang out at www.shoptalkforums.com (type4rum) and read some of their back posts on this kinda thing...and/or bug Brad some more...STF is where I learned a good deal about these T4 engines a while back...

also, not that I am pushing you to Jake again, but you should at least read through his engine descriptions as they will give you an idea of what to start looking for...here is a link to his 2270 engine kit: http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/type4/2...0/kit-spec.html

good luck and just keep asking questions...

Tony
+Quote Post
cgnj
post Jul 13 2003, 07:27 AM
Post #63

Member No.: 403
Region Association: None

Paul.
Building it myself with my 13 year old son. (he probably has dreams of torque wrenchs chasing him).
Would I do it again? Qualified yes. If my car had been fuel injected, I would have just done 2055. I already had a set of Dellorto 45's and no FI parts for my car, but I would do it differently.
I would try Demello or DPR for the crank. Save about $200
I'd use KB 96's instead of JE. Another $200. These weren't available in stoker pin locations with 22mm pins when I started.

I cleared my rods individually, off of the crank. Today I would just clear one on the crank (#2 or #4) and take them to the machined to match. Ended up doing that anyway, just wasted a whole lot of time.

I used the Shadek pump. It cost $130 to machine it to work. Raby sells a type 1 pump ready to go.

Would I build another one? No. Project will have a six.

How would I go about raising the compression? Just get the heads decked?

If it's being stoked, your'll need spacers just to keep the pistons in the jugs.

Carlos
76 2270 'it's almost ready'
76 Project
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Jul 13 2003, 07:40 AM
Post #64

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Member No.: 598

Carlos

How did it go with your son? One of the main reasons I want to do this is to involve him. If all goes as planned he will be 14 when we build an engine. I realize he will get tired or bored before I do and that it will be a test of my patience to say "Ok son , that's enough for tonight". Did he stay interested in it or did it just go on too long? Did he learn anything? It sounds like he was on the business end of the wrenches. Did he feel any pride in the project?

Dave
+Quote Post
anthony
post Jul 13 2003, 02:01 PM
Post #65

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

I think it would depend a lot on your kid's temperment. At that age I was always building something - model airplanes, wood working, whatever. I loved wood shop and metal shop. I would have loved to build an engine with my dad.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jul 13 2003, 02:22 PM
Post #66

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Blair has hung around me while I worked on cars since he was little. He alway was willing to hand me tools learning their names and what they are used for. Watched me build a big block 390 ci for my old truck and rebuild the 914. He bought the RX7 from me after I rebuilt that car then started modifing it. Next thing he was learning how to pull transmissons and engines, how to have a custom driveshaft made etc... He was always asking why are you doing that? I always told him why I was doing something, the order of taking things apart or putting them back together. Now he is not afraid to take anything apart and its fun.
Teach em how to clean parts, use tools and think- all very important lessons.

Geoff
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post Jul 13 2003, 08:27 PM
Post #67

Hellions asleep

Member No.: 441
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Wow! you guys are cool.... Wished my Dad would've done that with me. (Actually, I guess he did, now that I think about it.)
He is/was an upholsterer (retired). I learned (partially)furniture, auto & boat upholstery. Worked with him off & on for most of my growing up years. I'd still be with him or have his shop if his temper hadn't gotten in the way and my rebellious attitude didn't flare (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
Oh well, at least we still love each other (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
bruce
+Quote Post
Rouser
post Jul 14 2003, 09:04 PM
Post #68

Anti-Post Whore

Member No.: 54

In 1972, my "father" (he ceased being my "Pops" after THIS stunt!) drags home my friend's '62 Bug (with '64 40HP engine) for $50, with a knocking engine sound that caused it to be parked for a few weeks. "Just tear it down and find out what's wrong with it, and you'll have a car for your senior year." I'm wondering what the HELL happened to a '69 Chevelle 396, or a '68 Z-28 302, like some of the OTHER guys I would see were driving. This man disgusted me.

We dropped the engine, tore it apart, and found the crank "all ruint" (my observation) and #3 rod shot. My "father" (who worked for Pan American Airways out of JFK in NYC) grabbed the crank and said, "I can get this fixed." Damn him. He had the bad journal built back up/replated and the whole thing cut 20-over and polished for oversized bearings. Bought one (1) rod (cheap SOB) and had the whole set shot-pee-peened and magna-tisement-fluxed (I was upset, remember?). Grabbed the other bits & pieces (pistons, lifters, rockers, etc) and had them x-ray inspected (no damn cracks) and quick-cryo'd ("Drop a building on these, kid; they won't break."). His VW/German repair shop friend rebuilt the heads while WE mahogany-verneered his wife's kitchen cabinets. I hate you.

I & HIM! meticulously assembled that VW aircruddy engine, using the cylinders/jugs he had me cross-thatch with glycol and a hand-drill-mounted stone (looked like a wisk broom with his balls attached!). The only items he would bow to was a Holley Bug-Spray carb & manifold, and some Appliance headers & muffler (I wanted some SOUND & PERFORMANCE, Dammit!). A new clutch ("Pressure plate checked out good." Mr. Cheep-o) and resurfaced flywheel (Mr. VW Shop, remember?), back in, 2-3 cranks, it starts, set the timing & idle/mixture, idles @ 750 RPM, and I can blat out specs to an impressed "father."

Pulled the SAME blasted stunt with my kid brother ("This 411 only needs some TLC and 2 Weber carbs installed after we pull out that burned-up FI after the engine fire, that's all!). This hatred carried over into adult life and kids of our own ... Oh, Hell, my brother & I bought the $2.5K 52" TV Pop's been salivating over and had it delivered on his birthday. All with a promise he stop spoiling the grandkids, dammit.
+Quote Post
anthony
post Jul 15 2003, 01:11 AM
Post #69

2270 club

Member No.: 218

Consider yourself lucky you got the bug! At least they are somewhat cool and I'm sure the chicks liked a bug. Your poor brother. No girl, I'm sure, would be caught dead in a 411.
+Quote Post
Rouser
post Jul 15 2003, 05:54 PM
Post #70

Anti-Post Whore

Member No.: 54

Actually, he did pretty good.

Since he wasn't busy sinking every penny he earned into superfulous speed parts ("I just GOT to get those chrome valve/timing chain/master cylinder/air cleaner covers for my Camaro NOW!"), and his car went for weeks on a full tank, he had $$ left over to take the other guys' ladies out to dinner & a movie!
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Jul 15 2003, 08:22 PM
Post #71

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Member No.: 598

Rouser

I was worried there but I quess I'm safe cause one of these engines is gonna take all my pennies. There won't be any left over to take other guy's ladies out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
Qarl
post Jul 16 2003, 08:44 AM
Post #72

Shriveled member

Member No.: 271
Region Association: None

L8Apex:

1300 views and 70 replies later.... what have you concluded?

Do you have a motor plan yet? Please share with us your thoughts!

Regards,

Karl Ellzey
+Quote Post
post Jul 16 2003, 03:53 PM
Post #73

Group:
Member No.: 0

haha! damn, I am very very stumped. I was thinking of converting to carbs and putting a new cam in and new p/c's. but I have these cool visions of a nice 2.4-6 conversion in my dreams the past few days! arg! a 6 would be a great conversion to do if I can get one for an excellent price.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 06:38 AM