Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sons 1st porsche.
EdwardBlume
post Mar 11 2018, 07:36 AM
Post #21

914 Wizard

Group: Members
Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(Edward Blume @ Mar 11 2018, 05:31 AM) *

QUOTE(Edward Blume @ Mar 11 2018, 05:26 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 11 2018, 05:17 AM) *

QUOTE(Edward Blume @ Mar 11 2018, 04:54 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Congratulations!

Time to rent 16 Candles.

I will definitely tell him about the movie.. He was suprised to see how expensive the car was new.. Waaay more then his 04 civic dd.. He mentioned that it still has current styling not like my 914.... He has a few things to learn..

Best Film Moment Ever

Where's my manners?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U9xMKkMdIc

This single moment in film (and the Dr.s' World HQ for the 85.5 automatic) probably gave the model some lift on the used side in the 90s and 00s.

Didn't remember the Dad flipping the WS sign though... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Mar 11 2018, 08:35 AM
Post #22

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

That was Nicho’s first car too. His is an 85.2 in Guards Red. Needs some little things and I’ve helped with that. I called in a favor with my upholstery guy, and his interior is perfect as long as you keep the dash cover on. We’re going to be learning how to paint soon as rubbing and buffing didn’t revive the paint. After some tuning and fuel pressure work, runs like a top.
He says he got the 944 bug from riding in my 944 S2. Thing is, I only had it for 8 months. I bought it for $3500 and flipped for $14,000. Guy who sold it to me called a year later and asked if I’d sell it back, said he didn’t know the S2 was special. You never know what catches a kids eye. We were talking about ‘why a 944’ one day and I mentioned 16 Candles. He said “Molly Ringwald is a local you know.” (Sacramento) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
gandalf_025
post Mar 11 2018, 09:26 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 10,509
Region Association: North East States

The closest thing to a 600.00 Porsche would be
a FREE Boat......
+Quote Post
JRust
post Mar 11 2018, 09:34 AM
Post #24

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I picked up a 944 turbo that had been in a wreck. Only 68k on it so couldn't pass it up. After seeing how much work he front end will take to make right. I'm looking for a nice roller to put it in. Wish I would ave just waited instead. May just sell it to get my money back. LOL! 944 is a good car & I had been watching for a while. We'll see what happens but great ride for your son. Get the timing belt done asap
+Quote Post
mb911
post Mar 11 2018, 10:08 AM
Post #25

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(JRust @ Mar 11 2018, 07:34 AM) *

I picked up a 944 turbo that had been in a wreck. Only 68k on it so couldn't pass it up. After seeing how much work he front end will take to make right. I'm looking for a nice roller to put it in. Wish I would ave just waited instead. May just sell it to get my money back. LOL! 944 is a good car & I had been watching for a while. We'll see what happens but great ride for your son. Get the timing belt done asap

Yup belt will be done once we get it running..
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Mar 11 2018, 10:52 AM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482

Looks like a great deal and nice to see your boy continuing the Porsche enthusiasm (though I couldn’t imagine him not becoming an enthusiast in your household)!
+Quote Post
mb911
post Mar 11 2018, 11:06 AM
Post #27

914 Guru

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Mar 11 2018, 08:52 AM) *

Looks like a great deal and nice to see your boy continuing the Porsche enthusiasm (though I couldn’t imagine him not becoming an enthusiast in your household)!

George,

He had considered buying a firebird, buick reatta, mr2, dodge stealth. Datson 280, all in the same price range with more rust, missing allot of parts or engines,etc.. I am not sure if it has bit him yet but will for sure once it starts..fingers crossed.
+Quote Post
914-300Hemi
post Mar 11 2018, 11:14 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 6,794
Region Association: Southern California

Congrats on a great find and first Porsche.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Mar 11 2018, 02:38 PM
Post #29

914 Guru

Minor update is replaced fuel line from tank to fuel pump.. Not ideal I am sure the factory piece is formed but we were trying to get it to fire up.. Good news is the engine turns over, has spark, and compression.. Now need to buy a battery as was just using jumper cables.. Then check all connections and try to get fuel pump to turn on..
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Mar 11 2018, 03:27 PM
Post #30

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

Cool score, if time, money and space ever permits I'd like to get a 944 as well.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Mar 19 2018, 04:32 PM
Post #31

914 Guru

Well yesterday went to the zoo with the younger kids so my 17 year decided to pull the reference and speed sensors and broke them.. Oh well thats how he will learn and then took the injectors out so we could soak them in seafoam.. Also proceeded to pull the tank metal threaded bung out with the tank screen. Now I need to find a bonding agent for plastic to metal that is impervious to gas.. Any suggestions?

Oh also the lug nuts decenegrated on 2 lugs and not sure how to deal with that one.. Just yet..its fun none the less.

Also considering buying a lift. This will free up some space.
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Mar 19 2018, 08:31 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482

It’s always good to catch Porsche fever at a young age!Attached Image
+Quote Post
theer
post Mar 19 2018, 09:11 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 19,014

QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 19 2018, 06:32 PM) *

Well yesterday went to the zoo with the younger kids so my 17 year decided to pull the reference and speed sensors and broke them.. Oh well thats how he will learn and then took the injectors out so we could soak them in seafoam.. Also proceeded to pull the tank metal threaded bung out with the tank screen. Now I need to find a bonding agent for plastic to metal that is impervious to gas.. Any suggestions?

Oh also the lug nuts decenegrated on 2 lugs and not sure how to deal with that one.. Just yet..its fun none the less.

In reverse order:

Lift: Do it. 4-post, 2-post, mid rise - each have their merits. All help immensely.

Lug nuts: the stock lugs are super light weight alloy, but start flaking apart after too many years of neglect. Use a smaller size 6-point socket and bash it on then carefully, slowly loosen. Do this by hand, no air guns! Then go buy the steel replacements for $2/pc.

Gas tank: your FLAPS sells gas-tank specific epoxy. But you may want to buy a complete unit from the 944 world out there.

Speed and crank sensors: these can be tricky (and expensive). They look identical, but are not interchangeable. Also, they need to be installed with proper spacing, etc. I might have a set, if you are interested.

On the fuel pump: try powering directly to see if it works. Mine was jammed, but I was able to get it going with carb cleaner and running it backward & forward. Works fine now. If the fuel pump works, try a new DME relay. I might have one of these, too.

Good luck!
Tom

PS: my daughter’s first car was a POS Reatta, my son’s a POS 944. Reatta was cool & unique, but an electronics nightmare. 944 is a better choice if you have to work on it.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Mar 20 2018, 05:00 AM
Post #34

914 Guru

QUOTE(theer @ Mar 19 2018, 07:11 PM) *

In reverse order:

Lift: Do it. 4-post, 2-post, mid rise - each have their merits. All help immensely.

Lug nuts: the stock lugs are super light weight alloy, but start flaking apart after too many years of neglect. Use a smaller size 6-point socket and bash it on then carefully, slowly loosen. Do this by hand, no air guns! Then go buy the steel replacements for $2/pc.

Gas tank: your FLAPS sells gas-tank specific epoxy. But you may want to buy a complete unit from the 944 world out there.

Speed and crank sensors: these can be tricky (and expensive). They look identical, but are not interchangeable. Also, they need to be installed with proper spacing, etc. I might have a set, if you are interested.

On the fuel pump: try powering directly to see if it works. Mine was jammed, but I was able to get it going with carb cleaner and running it backward & forward. Works fine now. If the fuel pump works, try a new DME relay. I might have one of these, too.

Good luck!
Tom

PS: my daughter’s first car was a POS Reatta, my son’s a POS 944. Reatta was cool & unique, but an electronics nightmare. 944 is a better choice if you have to work on it.

Was gonna order the sensors today so let me know if you do have some spares.. Thanks
+Quote Post
theer
post Mar 20 2018, 06:52 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 19,014

QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 20 2018, 07:00 AM) *

QUOTE(theer @ Mar 19 2018, 07:11 PM) *

In reverse order:

Good luck!
Tom

Was gonna order the sensors today so let me know if you do have some spares.. Thanks

OK - I'll check tonight
+Quote Post
mb911
post Mar 20 2018, 07:51 AM
Post #36

914 Guru

Did a little powdercoat for my son. The badge was junk so didn't hurt a good one. Attached Image
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Mar 20 2018, 07:52 AM
Post #37

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Mar 19 2018, 06:31 PM) *

It’s always good to catch Porsche fever at a young age!

I agree, granted this will probably be the only new Porsche me or my daughter will be able to afford (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Hopefully I can hold onto my cars (the 356 and 914 anyway...911 will be sold to pay for the 914) so she can enjoy them in 15-20 years.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mb911
post Mar 20 2018, 10:58 AM
Post #38

914 Guru

Attached Image

Powdercoat this as well.. Inspirational I hope for him
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Mar 20 2018, 12:08 PM
Post #39

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I like that black badge, pretty cool...kind of GTS-like with their blacked out trim.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Mar 20 2018, 12:36 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 12 2018, 09:38 AM) *

Minor update is replaced fuel line from tank to fuel pump.. Not ideal I am sure the factory piece is formed but we were trying to get it to fire up.. Good news is the engine turns over, has spark, and compression.. Now need to buy a battery as was just using jumper cables.. Then check all connections and try to get fuel pump to turn on..

Yes the tank to pump hose has a larger formed end on the tank,a bit hard to fit much else but you could,in regards to the sensors you can use BMW ones and they are a little cheaper but the wires are a different length but still work,if possible give the holes in the sensor block a bit more clearance because they are too tight to start with...you will thank yourself later.
I have used the aftermarket FAE ones from Pelican but not used them long enough to tell the quality.
Fuel pumps have a habit of sticking up if the car has been sitting a while,ensure you have 12v getting to it,the connections tend to corrode on the pump due to its location.
A failed pump isn't such a big deal as it is common to other vehicles and not super spendy.
Good luck and enjoy the father/son project.
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:13 AM