Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sons 1st porsche.
mb911
post Mar 20 2018, 04:10 PM
Post #41

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(porschetub @ Mar 20 2018, 10:36 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 12 2018, 09:38 AM) *

Minor update is replaced fuel line from tank to fuel pump.. Not ideal I am sure the factory piece is formed but we were trying to get it to fire up.. Good news is the engine turns over, has spark, and compression.. Now need to buy a battery as was just using jumper cables.. Then check all connections and try to get fuel pump to turn on..

Yes the tank to pump hose has a larger formed end on the tank,a bit hard to fit much else but you could,in regards to the sensors you can use BMW ones and they are a little cheaper but the wires are a different length but still work,if possible give the holes in the sensor block a bit more clearance because they are too tight to start with...you will thank yourself later.
I have used the aftermarket FAE ones from Pelican but not used them long enough to tell the quality.
Fuel pumps have a habit of sticking up if the car has been sitting a while,ensure you have 12v getting to it,the connections tend to corrode on the pump due to its location.
A failed pump isn't such a big deal as it is common to other vehicles and not super spendy.
Good luck and enjoy the father/son project.

Any idea of the bmw part numbers to make it cheaper. Looks like one is only 30 dollars(porsche number) the other is about 100..
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mb911
post Mar 21 2018, 07:53 AM
Post #42

914 Guru

Unfortunately now a bit larger of a problem the ferrul that gets glued into the tank is trashed any ideas without replacing the whole tank?Attached Image
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Mar 21 2018, 10:30 AM
Post #43

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

Not sure exactly what I'm looking at, but can you turn a threaded retainer with a wide bond surface and glue it to the tank exterior?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mb911
post Mar 21 2018, 11:41 AM
Post #44

914 Guru

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Mar 21 2018, 08:30 AM) *

Not sure exactly what I'm looking at, but can you turn a threaded retainer with a wide bond surface and glue it to the tank exterior?

That may work the part to the right is /was bonded to the inside of the tank. May plans are to have a new part made if I can and glue it to the inside of the tank.. Or find someone whom has that fitting. At this point all options are on the table
+Quote Post
jesse7flying
post Mar 21 2018, 12:44 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 20,281
Region Association: None

You might ask over on the Bird 944 forum. Lots of good info and smart folks. Not as active as World, but you'll get a response. Good luck.
Jesse
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Mar 21 2018, 01:23 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 21 2018, 11:10 AM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Mar 20 2018, 10:36 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 12 2018, 09:38 AM) *

Minor update is replaced fuel line from tank to fuel pump.. Not ideal I am sure the factory piece is formed but we were trying to get it to fire up.. Good news is the engine turns over, has spark, and compression.. Now need to buy a battery as was just using jumper cables.. Then check all connections and try to get fuel pump to turn on..

Yes the tank to pump hose has a larger formed end on the tank,a bit hard to fit much else but you could,in regards to the sensors you can use BMW ones and they are a little cheaper but the wires are a different length but still work,if possible give the holes in the sensor block a bit more clearance because they are too tight to start with...you will thank yourself later.
I have used the aftermarket FAE ones from Pelican but not used them long enough to tell the quality.
Fuel pumps have a habit of sticking up if the car has been sitting a while,ensure you have 12v getting to it,the connections tend to corrode on the pump due to its location.
A failed pump isn't such a big deal as it is common to other vehicles and not super spendy.
Good luck and enjoy the father/son project.

Any idea of the bmw part numbers to make it cheaper. Looks like one is only 30 dollars(porsche number) the other is about 100..

Ben sensors...any one of the 1986 or latter 3,5 and 7 series with Motronic EFI (same system as 944) will work if memory serves me.
As you have the later car with the plastic tank I would doubt you could bond a fitting back in there,a replacement tank would be a better option and shouldn't be expensive to buy used,I seem to remember they can be a bugger to change however never done that myself so don't really know.

+Quote Post
theer
post Mar 21 2018, 01:43 PM
Post #47

Member No.: 19,014

'88 definitely has the plastic tank (all '85.5 and later). They are not crazy expensive, and not too hard to replace IIRC, especially if the trans is already out.

Take the trans out with the cross member attached - much easier. Good time to replace the center trans hanger, too.. which part I also have. (I haven't forgotten about the speed & ref sensors).

By the way, those fuel tanks are huge for such a small car.. they hold like 22 gals.
+Quote Post
theer
post Mar 23 2018, 04:29 PM
Post #48

Member No.: 19,014

Ok- I lied when I said the sensors are not interchangeable... they are exactly the same part number, but you just have to be careful to plug them in to the correct socket. And because they are the same, they’ll fit perfectly the wrong way around.

I have a pair, which you can have for the cost of shipping.

PM if interested.

I have lots of other 944 parts. Let me know what you need.

Tom
+Quote Post
mb911
post Mar 23 2018, 07:46 PM
Post #49

914 Guru

Tom,

Thanks yes I would be interested in the sensors etc.. Currently we are just trying to get it started before we go to far. Looks like it needs a tank for sure. Ugh

+Quote Post
914forme
post Mar 24 2018, 08:53 AM
Post #50

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

Ben,

This is the guy I get my 944 donor parts from. MarkSemi local to me, always has a few parts around, he has a small warehouse full of parts. Hard working guy, just trying to scrape by. It is a father and sons operation.

I have gotten things off of him for 914 projects all the time. 924/ 944 manual sunroof parts check $25 bucks, 944 spare check $35 bucks for the steel one. I need a new 17" one. Full roof clip, with a perfect sunroof, check, even got the bag. I think I paid $100 for it, it might have been less than that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I am sure he has a gas tank or three (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

As far as fixing it your self. The only way I can think of doing it is building the section with the fitting, and plastic welding it into the existing tank. So build the panel and fitting first, then patch it into the tank or over the tank where the original came out. You could butt joint it, but why (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) your dealing with plastics here, as long as you have the clearance, just lap joint it, and be done. Like everything cleanliness makes or breaks the process.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Mar 24 2018, 09:51 AM
Post #51

914 Guru

QUOTE(914forme @ Mar 24 2018, 06:53 AM) *

Ben,

This is the guy I get my 944 donor parts from. MarkSemi local to me, always has a few parts around, he has a small warehouse full of parts. Hard working guy, just trying to scrape by. It is a father and sons operation.

I have gotten things off of him for 914 projects all the time. 924/ 944 manual sunroof parts check $25 bucks, 944 spare check $35 bucks for the steel one. I need a new 17" one. Full roof clip, with a perfect sunroof, check, even got the bag. I think I paid $100 for it, it might have been less than that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I am sure he has a gas tank or three (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

As far as fixing it your self. The only way I can think of doing it is building the section with the fitting, and plastic welding it into the existing tank. So build the panel and fitting first, then patch it into the tank or over the tank where the original came out. You could butt joint it, but why (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) your dealing with plastics here, as long as you have the clearance, just lap joint it, and be done. Like everything cleanliness makes or breaks the process.

Thanks I will ping him. I am flying to Cleveland on the 11th not sure how far of a drive he is away but I have 6-7 hours to kill the 11th so maybe a drive by him..
+Quote Post
mb911
post Mar 25 2018, 02:21 PM
Post #52

914 Guru

Yeah car started today.. Needs a fuel pump as well as a tank but got it going off of starting fluid.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Apr 5 2018, 06:01 AM
Post #53

914 Guru

Tank and fuel pump showed up yesterday from plyhammer.. He was very slow getting me the parts but everything looks good. Probably get it all installed this weekend.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Apr 22 2018, 06:04 PM
Post #54

914 Guru

Car ran very well today off of the new used fuel pump.. Finally something to look forward to..
+Quote Post
73-914
post Apr 22 2018, 06:30 PM
Post #55

Member No.: 11,651

QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Mar 11 2018, 11:26 AM) *

The closest thing to a 600.00 Porsche would be
a FREE Boat......

BOAT = Break Out Another Thousand
+Quote Post
mb911
post Apr 23 2018, 05:12 AM
Post #56

914 Guru

QUOTE(73-914 @ Apr 22 2018, 04:30 PM) *

QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Mar 11 2018, 11:26 AM) *

The closest thing to a 600.00 Porsche would be
a FREE Boat......

BOAT = Break Out Another Thousand

You guys must have expensive boats. Mine was 10k and has a 4 stroke on it that is flawless..

Thats was 14 years agoAttached Image
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jun 2 2018, 07:56 AM
Post #57

914 Guru

Update,

Transaxle back in after replacing the gas tank.

New reference, speed sensors, starter, brake pads, fuel hoses, and a score on an extra set of wheels though we still need 4 tires that actually hold air..

We took it for a short drive down the driveway.. Everything works. So 10 years of sitting it is now alive. Still need to change plugs and wires and bleed the entire brake system and timing belt..

Ps bought the ats cookie cutters for $100 which I couldn't pass up. Both my son and I are excited.. I really do appreciate the build quality of the 944.. Attached Image
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jun 3 2018, 01:44 PM
Post #58

914 Guru

Today we drove it down our non public road.. Drives pretty well. My son learned a little bit about driving stick. Attached Image
+Quote Post
AZBanks
post Jun 7 2018, 08:56 PM
Post #59

Member No.: 5,245
Region Association: Southwest Region

If you need 944 parts, check with Lart(Lois).

https://www.ebay.com/usr/larts_porsche_part...=p2047675.l2559

I've known him and been buying from him for years. If the part doesn't work, he'll pay the return shipping.

He's very well known on Rennlist.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jun 9 2018, 07:22 AM
Post #60

914 Guru

QUOTE(AZBanks @ Jun 7 2018, 06:56 PM) *

If you need 944 parts, check with Lart(Lois).

https://www.ebay.com/usr/larts_porsche_part...=p2047675.l2559

I've known him and been buying from him for years. If the part doesn't work, he'll pay the return shipping.

He's very well known on Rennlist.

Thanks so far we have found that plyhammer had what we needed semi locally but will Lart a try .

Car is now back on jackstands to do timing belt.. I can't help believe that folks over complicate this ? Talk of 2-800 dollar tools to check tension of the belts and replace the water pump each timing belt change seems like allot of maintenance costs every 30k. Either way I bought a kit and we will be tackling that this coming week.

Gotta figure out the power steering as there is zero fluid in it.. Probably rack seals. Anyway I need to stop spending my project funds on my sons project lol.. His IOUs are stacking up.

Sand blasted 2 of the wheels this week to prep for powdercoat. We are going to paint the wheels that came with the car black and see how they look..

He wants to be able to drive the car to school this year as a senior..
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:08 AM