Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Recurve / rebuild SC dizzy, for carburated engine
Justinp71
post Mar 14 2018, 03:04 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,922
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Edward Blume @ Mar 14 2018, 12:15 PM) *

QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Mar 14 2018, 10:02 AM) *

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Mar 13 2018, 07:24 AM) *

Looking for anyone who has had good results with a distributor re-curve rebuild.
The engine is a stock 1981 911 SC converted to carbs
Of course Jerry Woods is well known.....anyone else ?

Btw, this motor is exactly what I started with. I ran it with DC19 cams, headers, re-curved dizzy and webber IDA 40's. I can probably find my old carb settings if you want. It was a phenomenal motor. I was at thunderhill with a stock '81 911 on slicks, I blew his doors off and lapped him with in the 20 minute run session. I know the 914 is lighter, but there was no comparison between cars. The 911 owner was stunned. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) . Totally got me hooked (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif).

Also the DC19 cam can be run with stock FI pistons- http://www.drcamshafts.com/. I think it really helped the motor kick in along with the re-curved dizzy.

Have you had it on a dyno?

No I should have done that. I saw a dyno chart for a similar 3.0L but with DC40 cams and larger 3.2 heads. It was making 260hp at the crank. I think I was in the 230hp range.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
t collins
post Mar 14 2018, 03:12 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,754

QUOTE(sithot @ Mar 13 2018, 08:26 AM) *

Kurt Donohoe at Partsklassik is a good choice.

https://www.partsklassik.com/c-67-distributor-re-build.aspx

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I used PartsKlassic to rebuild/recurve the Bosh dizzy on my 2.4L w/PMO carbs.
priced reasonably and fast turnaround.
+Quote Post
patssle
post Mar 14 2018, 04:57 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 10,741

I switched to MSD when I did my /6 conversion - no regrets. Barry rebuilt/recurved mine - his price was higher but his technical knowledge seems far beyond the other guys. Is it worth it? Up to you.
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Mar 14 2018, 10:11 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Mar 14 2018, 01:02 PM) *

Looking for anyone who has had good results with a distributor re-curve rebuild.

Btw, this motor is exactly what I started with. I ran it with DC19 cams, headers, re-curved dizzy and webber IDA 40's. I can probably find my old carb settings if you want. It was a phenomenal motor. I was at thunderhill with a stock '81 911 on slicks, I blew his doors off and lapped him with in the 20 minute run session. I know the 914 is lighter, but there was no comparison between cars. The 911 owner was stunned. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) . Totally got me hooked (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif).

Also the DC19 cam can be run with stock FI pistons- http://www.drcamshafts.com/. I think it really helped the motor kick in along with the re-curved dizzy.

Excellent.
I shouldn't be concerned about having the smaller intake ports ?
Carb specifics would be greatly appreciated
Your pistons were standard SC ?
Any head work ?
TIA
Rory
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Justinp71
post Mar 14 2018, 11:55 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 2,922

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Mar 14 2018, 09:11 PM) *

QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Mar 14 2018, 01:02 PM) *

Excellent.
I shouldn't be concerned about having the smaller intake ports ?
Carb specifics would be greatly appreciated
Your pistons were standard SC ?
Any head work ?
TIA
Rory

The smaller intake ports give better low end response. The dc19 is not a huge duration high hp cam, so I think it’s still a good match. How much hp is there to gain over a stock or 964 cam grind is hard to tell, dc racing might know bettter. I had stock 81 heads and stock pistons, motor long block was all stock 81 3.0 besides the cams.

The next level up would be larger head ports, dc40 cams and je pistons. But that’s a good chunk of change, should give another ~30hp. I would do that all at once, I don’t think head work willl matter too much without dc40 or larger cams, but I could be wrong. And to run those cams you need new pistons. One thing that is nice with dc40 cams they are designed for carbs ( I think better lobe center) so they react faster to the carbs.

I will dig up and send you my old carb settings.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:42 PM