Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Classified Rules!
> [SOLD] 1971 914/4 project car
Cornell89
post Mar 13 2018, 02:14 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,706
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

UPDATE - sold for $4100 shortly after I posted this.

I have no affiliation with the seller, but he seems like a nice guy so I thought I'd pass this on.
https://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/d/1971...6528883637.html
It's a 914/4 '71 chassis with an unknown engine - more on that below.
Car is in White Hall MD, north of Baltimore.

Current owner bought it 14 years ago, but hurt his back shortly after buying and couldn't drive it any more - been in dry storage ~13 years. Some details from my inspection on the morning of March 13th:
- originally chrome yellow, resprayed yellow but doesn't quite match (wrong shade or maybe fading?), some over-spray on door rubber.
- later model bumpers, not very well fitted to car
- hell hole rust, badly patched under battery
- both floor pans have lots of small holes, need to be replaced
- body panels look good except for driver's door, which is dented and may have bondo under paint.
- Rust bubbles under pass side sail panel, but didn't look serious
- interior is pretty good - tear on back pad of pass seat, both door cards are out - one has water damage, the other is OK - rest of int is OK. drives door handle is off but present.
- glass is all good - driver's door glass is out but good
- Unknown engine size. The owner listed it as a 2.0 L, but just because that's what he was told when he bought it. The spot where the engine code should be stamped is blank (not ground down, just blank) - maybe a bus engine?
- dual Weber IDF 40 carbs (just like the '71 I just sold!), but the linkage is backward; perhaps another sign this engine came from a bus? The heater fan and tubes are not installed. That said, I heard it start-up and run. Sounded like the timing is a bit off, but not overall not bad.
- engine & transmission (tail shifter) both dry underneath
- a couple boxes of parts (including some mentioned above) are included w/ the car

When I saw the hell hole and pan rust I decided to pass, so I did not take it for a test drive, but I believe the owner when he says it runs and stops OK. Lights/switches not tested but all said to be OK.

Too much work for me, but it has potential.
He's asking $4500, but doesn't really know what it's worth.
I told him to expect less, but not give it away.
Any thoughts on what might be reasonable?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Cornell89   [SOLD] 1971 914/4 project car   Mar 13 2018, 02:14 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:39 PM