Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> $93,000
Cal
post Mar 14 2018, 11:48 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,138
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Mar 14 2018, 01:02 PM) *

That car had hell hole rust. I was there, and I looked it over pretty well.

If it did not have the Brumos name attached, and not been sold at Goodings - that would have been a $15K car here - maybe $20k.

I doubt it was bought to drive, but it was showing signs of dry rot in the rubber. The hell hole had no more paint on it, and was rusty. I did not probe it, so I don't know how thin it was, but it looked worse then the hell hole on my car, and I still cut out the battery tray and grafted in metal on the long and firewall. No idea the state of the engine.

It is a BEAUTIFUL car, and I was looking forward to seeing it weeks before I left for Amelia. I'm glad its owner got $85K for it.

I will say this for the Goodings people - they know how to run an auction. The auctioneer was GOOD. He was funny. He knew the people there to buy had money, and he knew how to play them to wring that money out. There was energy in that room that I just did not see in other auctions that week.

Zach

I'm assuming these photos are yours.....

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bulitt
post Mar 14 2018, 11:48 AM
Post #22

Achtzylinder

Member No.: 13,632
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 14 2018, 10:45 AM) *

I think anyone who can afford $93K for a "mint in box" 914 can easily afford to have a second one to take out and play with. I'm glad that out of the 113K or so 914s made, that there are a handful of museum time capsules surviving. The only part that bothers me is that this is another outlier data point that pulls the resale average up and will work its way into valuations in the buyers guides.

Of course the Insurance industry will be all over this. Any reason to crank up rates...
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Mar 14 2018, 11:59 AM
Post #23

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(bulitt @ Mar 14 2018, 11:48 AM) *

I think anyone who can afford $93K for a "mint in box" 914 can easily afford to have a second one to take out and play with. I'm glad that out of the 113K or so 914s made, that there are a handful of museum time capsules surviving. The only part that bothers me is that this is another outlier data point that pulls the resale average up and will work its way into valuations in the buyers guides.

Of course the Insurance industry will be all over this. Any reason to crank up rates...

Good point! And a pretty big conflict of interest in Hagerty valuation guides.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 14 2018, 12:19 PM
Post #24

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 14 2018, 01:59 PM) *

QUOTE(bulitt @ Mar 14 2018, 11:48 AM) *

Good point! And a pretty big conflict of interest in Hagerty valuation guides.

It at least a good data point if you have to get a payout.
My insurance is $125/yr for my first 914 and $63/yr for the second so I’m not complaining.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Mar 14 2018, 02:57 PM
Post #25

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

QUOTE(Cal @ Mar 14 2018, 12:48 PM) *

That car had hell hole rust. I was there, and I looked it over pretty well.

If it did not have the Brumos name attached, and not been sold at Goodings - that would have been a $15K car here - maybe $20k.

I doubt it was bought to drive, but it was showing signs of dry rot in the rubber. The hell hole had no more paint on it, and was rusty. I did not probe it, so I don't know how thin it was, but it looked worse then the hell hole on my car, and I still cut out the battery tray and grafted in metal on the long and firewall. No idea the state of the engine.

It is a BEAUTIFUL car, and I was looking forward to seeing it weeks before I left for Amelia. I'm glad its owner got $85K for it.

I will say this for the Goodings people - they know how to run an auction. The auctioneer was GOOD. He was funny. He knew the people there to buy had money, and he knew how to play them to wring that money out. There was energy in that room that I just did not see in other auctions that week.

Zach

Yup.

Zach
+Quote Post
Ed_Turbo
post Mar 14 2018, 04:44 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 21,151
Region Association: Southern California

Read the comments on the bottom of the article:

“Four cylinder 914's are still glorified VWs.” (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

How many times you hear people always trying to knock down these 4 cylinder Porsches? I get those same ignorant comments by all kinds of different people. So funny...

-Big big Ed
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Mar 15 2018, 11:10 AM
Post #27

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

The British auctioneer knows how to work the room. Unfortunate for the buyer that those pictures weren't on the big screen behind the auctioneer. The most expensive 914-4 on the planet. Still needs rust remediation. Or save that patina? Bye bye originality.
+Quote Post
Grosbard
post Mar 15 2018, 12:10 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 10,862

This article was poorly written, and I could pick apart almost every other sentence. But the main ones I'll pick apart are these two:

"Not to mention that there are cars that are far more rare for less cash...."

I disagree with this - it's very hard to think of a 1970s performance car that is rarer than a mint/original condition 914-4 and still under $93k. That's the apples to apples comparison.

Now, you can say that this one wasn't mint, but he didn't make that argument. And regardless that's how it was advertised, and that promise of mint-ness is what caused the huge price. You can't compare a modern car, and you can't compare a driver's condition car.

He even says a 914-6 is worth that money, but I'm pretty sure there are less than 3000 mint/original 914-4's out there in the world.

“914s are great cars, I’ve driven a few dozen examples, and they’re always a joy, but there are so many cars that provide a much better driving experience for less.”

This one I disagree with even more strongly. Here he's talking about 914s in general, not this mint and original one. Which 1970s cars provide a better experience for less than the price of a typical 914? I'd love to hear his list.

+Quote Post
dcheek
post Mar 15 2018, 03:39 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 6,103

This reminds me of my experiences with a Volkswagen Split Window Buses through the years.

My first "car" 1966 13 window bus. Bought it for $850.00 in 1971. Put 20,000 miles on it and sold it for $850.00.

My second VW Bus i bought was a 1966 Westfalia Camper, all original for $9600 in 1988. Ridiculous money back then. I remember thinking it was the biggest mistake I ever made. Fast forward to now, and I've seen comparable campers selling in the 40-50K range. Beyond comprehension back when I bought it that they would be worth this much money.

So, 93K for a pristine 914 is not so crazy. Look what they are getting for 356's. and long hood 911's. And yes, they are glorified VW's too. Porsche had his finger in all of them. The first Gmund Porsche sports car had all VW running gear. So what?! I like the VW connection with the 914. I think its a better car BECAUSE of it. Those that poo poo the connection just don't get it.

All I know is that I'm glad I bought what I bought, when I bought it, because the hobby is getting very expensive now. And, I didn't buy what I have to make money. I bought them because I LIKE them.

Dave

+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Mar 16 2018, 06:22 AM
Post #30

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Cal @ Mar 14 2018, 09:48 AM) *

That car had hell hole rust.

that's "hell hole rust"!??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

+Quote Post
Mike Fitton
post Mar 16 2018, 06:33 AM
Post #31

Member No.: 13,069
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Mar 14 2018, 09:02 AM) *

Zach

C'mon you don't really believe that do you?
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Mar 16 2018, 09:15 AM
Post #32

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

I do.
I think this car could easily get $15K on the every day open market. The days of picking up nice 914s for under $5K are behind us for the time being.

And this car is a time capsule car. Someone checked it with a paint meter, and confirmed it has not been resprayed. The paint was in great shape for 40+ years old. 5K miles, and the rust (while present) is comparatively minimal. A guy no knowing where to look may not have even found it.

There is always going to be a bell curve. They guy who looks will eventually find a steal. But for the time being, 914 prices are up. Way up from 13 years ago when I bought mine.

Zach
+Quote Post
Grosbard
post Mar 16 2018, 09:18 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 10,862

Hi Zach

Just to clarify, I think Mike was disagreeing with you because he thought your price was too low, not too high.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Mar 16 2018, 12:02 PM
Post #34

Given the auction price I think we'll see the action on TV. What's My Car Worth? Right up Keith's alley.
+Quote Post
Mike Fitton
post Mar 16 2018, 01:17 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 13,069
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Grosbard @ Mar 16 2018, 07:18 AM) *

Hi Zach

Just to clarify, I think Mike was disagreeing with you because he thought your price was too low, not too high.

Yep! No way that was a 15 - 20k car. I sold my '74 2.0 for 20K 2.5 years ago.
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Mar 23 2018, 08:32 AM
Post #36

Please forgive me, I'm new to all of this!

Member No.: 20,991

Is this the new reality? No affiliation...

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/ctd/d/197...6539603786.html

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 23 2018, 08:34 AM
Post #37

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(914 7T3 @ Mar 23 2018, 10:32 AM) *

Is this the new reality? No affiliation...

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/ctd/d/197...6539603786.html

I believe so. Have you looked at early 912’s. $60k is the new normal.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Mar 23 2018, 08:40 AM
Post #38

Very sparkly.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Mar 23 2018, 09:16 AM
Post #39

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

Always one to drive one to show. If there are no representatives of the marque in original condition, its identity deteriorates.

I drive my 914 every day, but have
two five thousand mile sixes that CANNOT be driven
one 74 with ten thousand miles
one 76 with 11000 miles
one limited edition with 33,000 miles

these are true representatives of the marque, and I am only the temporary curator of these cars. Long after I am gone, someone will proudly own these low no mile 914s and be proud to display them for one and all to see how great the cars really were in their original right off the assembly line condition

among others

QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Mar 14 2018, 08:07 AM) *

QUOTE(windforfun @ Mar 13 2018, 06:57 PM) *

Wow. My Dad always used to say: "If you want to know what something is worth, try to sell it." It really does pay to keep the car stock.

Actually it "pays" to not only keep a car stock, but to not drive it. One needs to be insane to not drive their car. What's the point in a fun car if you just look at it and trailer it to shows? That's not my kind of fun but I understand that some people get enjoyment out of it.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:35 PM