Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Call out to sbc converted teener owners, Harmonic balancer and timing marks
HalfMoon
post Mar 15 2018, 09:25 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,144
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Owning a Renegade converted sbc 914, I've often wondered how other owners have solved the problem of not being able to see the timing marks on the harmonic balancer.
What was/is your solution (other than timing by ear)?
Thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Mar 15 2018, 09:59 AM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Mar 15 2018, 08:25 AM) *

Owning a Renegade converted sbc 914, I've often wondered how other owners have solved the problem of not being able to see the timing marks on the harmonic balancer.
Thanks!

Cutting hole in firewall?

Now with cheap remote cameras that you can plug into your phone or laptop that might work?
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Mar 15 2018, 10:25 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(Mueller @ Mar 15 2018, 10:59 AM) *

QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Mar 15 2018, 08:25 AM) *

Thanks!

Cutting hole in firewall?

Now with cheap remote cameras that you can plug into your phone or laptop that might work?

The remote cam might work....
I did cut an access panel in my wall (to access the water inlets), but sadly, the lip of the wall just above the harmonic balancer prevents being able to see the balancer and or the pointer. Not even sure if a cam could see it.
Cutting the lip would be a no no as this is structural, right?
+Quote Post
FL000
post Mar 15 2018, 11:15 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 14,076
Region Association: Southern California

I got a tip from here to mark TDC on the flywheel as viewed from the inspection area on top of the trans. Have yet to fire it up and test it but sounded like a good idea. Should be enough space from engine deck lid area to shine timing light and use remote camera to check it. I asssume a timing light with an advance function is necessary since I won’t have degree marks on the case (just location of TDC).
+Quote Post
bulitt
post Mar 15 2018, 12:09 PM
Post #5

Achtzylinder

Member No.: 13,632
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(FL 000 @ Mar 15 2018, 01:15 PM) *

I got a tip from here to mark TDC on the flywheel as viewed from the inspection area on top of the trans. Have yet to fire it up and test it but sounded like a good idea. Should be enough space from engine deck lid area to shine timing light and use remote camera to check it. I asssume a timing light with an advance function is necessary since I won’t have degree marks on the case (just location of TDC).

I did this- took a punch and put a dimple on top of the flywheel when set at 8 BTDC.

The guys at Renegade sent me this advice-

"For our in house cars, we use vacuum to measure where the timing should be. At very low idle, and the advance plugged off of the distributor, then advance the timing until the vacuum is at it’s highest reading. Retard the timing from there until you loose 2 inches of vacuum. A test drive to make sure it’s not pinging, and you’re set! If the engine is pinging, you can retard the timing by a degree or 2. If you add the timing marks on the bottom of the engine in addition to this method, you can verify the accuracy of the timing."
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Mar 15 2018, 12:16 PM
Post #6

So, I'm thinking I'll have to cut another access panel below the shelf (where indicated)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Mar 15 2018, 12:18 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(bulitt @ Mar 15 2018, 01:09 PM) *

QUOTE(FL 000 @ Mar 15 2018, 01:15 PM) *

I did this- took a punch and put a dimple on top of the flywheel when set at 8 BTDC.

The guys at Renegade sent me this advice-

"For our in house cars, we use vacuum to measure where the timing should be. At very low idle, and the advance plugged off of the distributor, then advance the timing until the vacuum is at it’s highest reading. Retard the timing from there until you loose 2 inches of vacuum. A test drive to make sure it’s not pinging, and you’re set! If the engine is pinging, you can retard the timing by a degree or 2. If you add the timing marks on the bottom of the engine in addition to this method, you can verify the accuracy of the timing."

I had thought I'd use vacuum, but my distributor guy said we need the marks (recurving the distributor).
+Quote Post
914GT
post Mar 15 2018, 12:34 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 2,923
Region Association: Southwest Region

I relocated the timing scale to the side of the balancer and made a new mark on the balancer corresponding to 0 deg at TDC. I can then easily check with the timing light looking from underneath the car on the driver side.
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Mar 15 2018, 12:39 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(FL 000 @ Mar 15 2018, 12:15 PM) *

I think this is going to be the best method. And I'm going to cut an access panel in the trunk. This gives me the ability to see a mark and make adjustments (dizzy is right there).
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Mar 15 2018, 12:41 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(914GT @ Mar 15 2018, 01:34 PM) *

I relocated the timing scale to the side of the balancer and made a new mark on the balancer corresponding to 0 deg at TDC. I can then easily check with the timing light looking from underneath the car on the driver side.

That one's a good idea too, but kinda problematic (as would be my idea of the access panel in the cockpit) cause access to the dizzy is kinda difficult and thus would require two people.
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Mar 15 2018, 01:59 PM
Post #11

I wonder if their's any other v-8 converted 914 owners out there that have done this and wouldn't mind sharing where in the trunk they made the access hole. I can take a pretty good guess based on feel, but an image would be most helpful
+Quote Post
914GT
post Mar 15 2018, 02:08 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 2,923
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Mar 15 2018, 11:41 AM) *

QUOTE(914GT @ Mar 15 2018, 01:34 PM) *

That one's a good idea too, but kinda problematic (as would be my idea of the access panel in the cockpit) cause access to the dizzy is kinda difficult and thus would require two people.

I've never had a problem adjusting timing by myself. I check where it's at with the light then advance or retard as needed. A couple of iterations and it's dialed in. If there was a reason to check timing often then I could see the access hole in the trunk would make it easier.
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Mar 15 2018, 02:57 PM
Post #13

I'm thinking here, but it's a guess
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Mar 15 2018, 06:56 PM
Post #14

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

Cut the shelf and add an access hole in the firewall. I cut all the shelf out, all the way around. The shelf is to seal off the air cooled engine. It's just in the way for a SBC.
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Mar 15 2018, 07:19 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Mar 15 2018, 07:56 PM) *

Cut the shelf and add an access hole in the firewall. I cut all the shelf out, all the way around. The shelf is to seal off the air cooled engine. It's just in the way for a SBC.

Yep, that's what I opted for. I cut the shelf and now have excellent access to the pulleys. Need to make a simple indicator, use my dial indicator to find tdc and mark it.
All good in the neighborhood :-)
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Mar 16 2018, 08:24 AM
Post #16

Scott with Renegade suggested the same but I found (on my 73) that the wall comes right exactly over the top transaxle hole.
Opening a panel didn't allow the ability to see the flywheel and it can't be seen from above (behind the dizz) even with the rear rubber shelf removed....so that solution (at least on the 73 where the body in the trunk is slightly different than earlier models) isn't going to work.
The only other thing I could see for using the flywheel as a timing mark is to remove the entire trunk wall and install a shock brace. More work than I'd like for this particular problem.
I've decided to remove the inner metal front shelf (that is apparently only for holding the forward rubber "shelf") behind the access panel I created in the cockpit which should give access to the harmonic balancer. It'll take two people to time the car with this fix, but at least precision timing will be able to occur (I'm re-curving my dizzy, so timing marks are pretty important)
+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post Mar 29 2018, 10:51 AM
Post #17

Honey, does this wing make my ass look fat?

Member No.: 13,704
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Mar 16 2018, 06:24 AM) *

Scott with Renegade suggested the same but I found (on my 73) that the wall comes right exactly over the top transaxle hole.
Opening a panel didn't allow the ability to see the flywheel and it can't be seen from above (behind the dizz) even with the rear rubber shelf removed....so that solution (at least on the 73 where the body in the trunk is slightly different than earlier models) isn't going to work.
The only other thing I could see for using the flywheel as a timing mark is to remove the entire trunk wall and install a shock brace. More work than I'd like for this particular problem.
I've decided to remove the inner metal front shelf (that is apparently only for holding the forward rubber "shelf") behind the access panel I created in the cockpit which should give access to the harmonic balancer. It'll take two people to time the car with this fix, but at least precision timing will be able to occur (I'm re-curving my dizzy, so timing marks are pretty important)

A picture of what you did would be great.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:45 PM