Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> removing c.v. axles easy way
davepalmer
post Mar 15 2018, 04:44 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,970
Region Association: None

take out all c.v. joint bolts and plates remove inner joint by driving thin straight blade screwdriver into gasket between joint and falange , between bolt holes gently pry turn 180 degrees and repeat . It will take several rotations repeatedly prying. REMOVING OUTER JOINT On rear of trailing arm near shock mount measure in from dust shield about 1 inch, should be on weld file or grind weld flat center punch for drill, start with 1/8 inch work your way up to 1/2 inch. Now you should be able to see the gasket between c.v. joint and stub axle Pry off like the inner joint.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Mar 15 2018, 07:05 PM
Post #2

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

First, welcome to the world. Second, I would never, ever, use a screwdriver to separate cv's. Are you saying to drill a hole in the bottom of the trailing arm. Not doing that either.
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Mar 15 2018, 08:33 PM
Post #3

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

I appreciate that your first post was intended to help other members, but friends don't let friends drive drill bits into trailing arms!

For the outer CVs it's much easier to just remove the cv/stub axle as a unit. Here's a video on how to do that...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a5ACf2xK6Y&t=9s

I do use a screwdriver (carefully, as described in the Pelican how-to) to pry apart the joint. Curt...how do you do it?
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Mar 16 2018, 09:49 AM
Post #4

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Easy way?

Remove the big nut on the stub axle, remove the trani side cv joint bolts, pull out cv joint.

If exhaust isnt in the way you can do it in 20 mins for both sides.
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Mar 16 2018, 09:56 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,139
Region Association: South East States

It has been a while, but IIRC, they were on the bench and all I did was rotate the inner section until a ball came out.

Something like that.

Oh yeah, wear gloves to keep the grease off of you. There are quite a few YouTube videos for total removal and re-installation. CV videos in general and specific 914 videos. Again, IIRC the only tool needed was a bench vise.
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Mar 16 2018, 10:31 AM
Post #6

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Mar 15 2018, 09:33 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

I appreciate that your first post was intended to help other members, but friends don't let friends drive drill bits into trailing arms!

For the outer CVs it's much easier to just remove the cv/stub axle as a unit. Here's a video on how to do that...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a5ACf2xK6Y&t=9s

I do use a screwdriver (carefully, as described in the Pelican how-to) to pry apart the joint. Curt...how do you do it?

Ball peen hammer. Tap the side of the cv with the round side of hammer head while rotating. Not trying to reshape it, just a little vibration to loosen the bond.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:40 PM