Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Your thoughts on this hellhole?, Fix immediately, or drive this summer and fix later?
post Mar 15 2018, 11:47 PM
Post #1

Michael in Seattle

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,495
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Last week Rich/914werke spotted the first evidence of significant rust on this car, in the usual area under the battery tray. I know further exploration is needed, but I'm interested in your guesses whether it's something I should deal with immediately, or wait until next winter.

Related question: Does replacing the passenger side long, etc. usually mean wrecking the interior and paint?

Attached Image

Passenger door closes, but droops a little when not latched.
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 16 2018, 03:50 AM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I would be more concerned with the suspension consoles. Does the rear passenger wheel lean in at the top more than the driver side?
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Mar 16 2018, 04:28 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
gothspeed
post Mar 16 2018, 08:22 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 10,019
Region Association: None

Mine was similar. Most of what rotted away is the thin sheet metal on top. Get a mirror and flash light and inspect the inner and outer long reinforcements behind/inside the thinner sheet metal.

Try to cover the hole in red, even temporarily. As that hole will allow hot air from under the engine to get sucked into the cooling fan. Maybe use that ground stud to hold the temporary cover in place.

The door looks more like hinge area sagging or bent. If the misalignment was caused by the corrosion or long structural compromise, it would diminish the door gap as well.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Mar 16 2018, 08:25 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

I'm living in a...
Hell Hole!
Don't want to stay in this...
Hell Hole!
Don't want to die in this..
Hell Hole!
Girl, get me out of this...Hell Hole!
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Mar 16 2018, 09:05 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I would look under the passenger side rocker panel and see what the damage is. How does the underside of the long look?
+Quote Post
mbseto
post Mar 16 2018, 10:56 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 17,743
Region Association: North East States

Measure the door gaps, then put a hefty guy (or girl) in the passenger seat and measure again. You'll get some idea of the structural integrity without needing to cut it open.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Mar 16 2018, 11:18 AM
Post #8

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Consider posting a 'want to share garage/shop space' thread. You might find someone in the Seattle area. The engine will have to be removed for the rust repairs. Upside is you can address engine issues at that time. 914werke should be able to let you know what you need from Restoration Design. Time to get your hands dirty and stop the 'bleeding'
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Mar 16 2018, 11:23 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,139
Region Association: South East States

it is not what you see, it is what you don't see. Once the acid from the battery has made a hole, the acid goes deeper and does it's thing inside the structure.

mbseto's idea will give you a way to measure. Another similar measurement is to put the heavy person in the car with the top off. See if they can open the passenger side door.

You are putting off the evitable. Bite the bullet and dig in. Are you doing the repair or paying to do the repair?
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Mar 16 2018, 11:25 AM
Post #10

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

drive it and have fun, repair in the winter, not that bad as long as you have a battery tray

by the way, I do not like "hell" and "914" in the same sentence, maybe we can all change that expression to "rust in the battery area" How about it?
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Mar 16 2018, 11:28 AM
Post #11

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(98101 @ Mar 15 2018, 11:47 PM) *

Related question: Does replacing the passenger side long, etc. usually mean wrecking the interior and paint?

A surprising amount of this work can be done without wrecking the interior or exterior appearance. Where it becomes a problem is if you have to repair the outer long/inner wheel house area aft of the jack pyramids. Access to that area is poor without removing a section of the rear quarter panel.
+Quote Post
post Mar 16 2018, 11:48 AM
Post #12

Michael in Seattle

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Mar 16 2018, 10:23 AM) *

it is not what you see, it is what you don't see. Once the acid from the battery has made a hole, the acid goes deeper and does it's thing inside the structure.

mbseto's idea will give you a way to measure. Another similar measurement is to put the heavy person in the car with the top off. See if they can open the passenger side door.

You are putting off the evitable. Bite the bullet and dig in. Are you doing the repair or paying to do the repair?

Thanks for all this help. Any heavy people in the Seattle area want to volunteer for the test?

Most likely 914werke/Rich would be doing the repair. But I'm enjoying driving the car now that the weather is getting nice, and wondering whether it would be OK to wait until next winter.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Mar 16 2018, 11:58 AM
Post #13

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Forgot. Drive it. Rich is a big guy. About the right weight for the 'butt test'. Surprised it was not performed when you were at his place. If no one has been under the car for a close assessment now would be the time.
+Quote Post
post Mar 16 2018, 01:41 PM
Post #14

Michael in Seattle

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Mar 16 2018, 10:58 AM) *

Forgot. Drive it. Rich is a big guy. About the right weight for the 'butt test'. Surprised it was not performed when you were at his place. If no one has been under the car for a close assessment now would be the time.

We didn’t have time to do anything but the door locks since the sun was already setting by the time I got away from family activities. I’m working with him on scheduling another visit. I’m sure we will inspect the suspension.

A non-914 mechanic and I inspected the car from below on a lift, and it was seen again at Gerber Motorsport in Magnolia. I guess we missed this. I’m not too upset... just reluctant to take the car off the road for lengthy rustoration when it’s finally sunny enough to enjoy it. I already waited weeks while it sat at Chris’s German Auto (who never got around to doing anything on it) ... so eager to enjoy the car a bit.

Despite the air leak the engine stays cool (actually too cool). I’m guessing the Seattle weather and front oil cooler has something to do with this.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Mar 16 2018, 02:11 PM
Post #15

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Mar 16 2018, 09:25 AM) *

by the way, I do not like "hell" and "914" in the same sentence, maybe we can all change that expression to "rust in the battery area" How about it?

Revisionist history. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) It's been called Hell Hole for a good reason...for decades! This is the same semantical diversion as those who deny the NARP label from the early days. I was there, it was real.

BTW Michael, drive it till the weather turns again; unless the butt test is really bad.
+Quote Post
post Mar 16 2018, 02:19 PM
Post #16

Michael in Seattle

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Mar 16 2018, 07:25 AM) *

I'm living in a...
Hell Hole!
Don't want to stay in this...
Hell Hole!
Don't want to die in this..
Hell Hole!
Girl, get me out of this...Hell Hole!

I just watched Spinal Tap with the actors' commentary (added many years later) enabled. The commentary seemed to be entirely improvised. Those guys are at least as funny now as they were in the original movie.

How much more black could my car be? The answer is "None. None more black."
+Quote Post
914werke
post Mar 16 2018, 02:55 PM
Post #17

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Mar 16 2018, 03:12 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Mar 16 2018, 03:37 PM
Post #19

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Hate to say it but, by looking at that door, there's much more than just hell hole patching going on here. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
Rand
post Mar 16 2018, 03:56 PM
Post #20

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

Eric beat me to the punch. That passenger door gap is WAY beyond the big butt test, it's clearly obvious there are *serious* structure problems.

My first 914 was like this. The only way I would keep driving it before doing a proper repair was a temporary brace. I jacked up under the firewall until it was lined up, welded in a brace between the rear shock tower and part way down the long. That gave me enough confidence to drive it before getting the the real fix it really needs.

That thing is going to be an artichoke. The more leaves you pull away, the more rust and problems you will find. I hope you are as happy doing fabrication work as I was.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:53 PM