Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> questions about upgrades...., trany stuff, steering stuff.
xsboost90
post Jun 5 2005, 05:15 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,432

ok, so my car is together, but it is such a pain to drive. I have to shift into second before i stick it in first or itll grind. I have to downshift very slowly, or itll grind into second. I have to baby this thing to death, so its very polite into gear, tromp it, very polite into gear, tromp it. I know this is the usual porsche stuff, but i know it is worse than i could be. FIRST off, im thinking my clutch is dragging. Ive tightened and tightened , to the point im running a spacer on the cable and its all the way tight and still feels like its dragging the clutch. Im thinking of pulling the trans, seals, new pilot bearing, throw out, clutch disc, bushing for the pivot....and maybe a hydraulic conversion?? OR is this just something i need to rebuild the tranny to cure? I replaced the bushings in the rear shifter linkage, the ball socket, the one through the trans case w/ a bronze bushing, and the rest seem real tight and good. Not much play in shifter all together. IM also thinking of getting a welt shifter from someone.

Ideas, suggestions, thoughts? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/type.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Jun 5 2005, 05:20 PM
Post #2

:: Punch and Pie ::

Member No.: 3,342
Region Association: Upper MidWest

:: Raising Hand ::

Same deal here...I've gotten pretty good about sneaking it into 1st.

I'm going to re-build the syncros on my spare tranny, and go through it, then replace the one in my car now. I'll let you know if that does the trick.

I've got the Weltmeister short-shift kit in mine. I'd suggest driving mine first, it's not the 'upgrade' I thouhgt it'd be.

I'm also having the same problem you were with it being 'doggy' off the line. This just started AFTER I put the Crane XR700 in.

+Quote Post
xsboost90
post Jun 5 2005, 05:24 PM
Post #3

oh right, steering stuff...also need to get rid of some bumpsteer. Ive been told just space the rack up so the tie rods are more level. Im going to raise it up abit also since the tires rub like crazy. Anything else i can do besides that? This thing bounces around like crazy when i hit a bump. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/driving-girl.gif)
+Quote Post
xsboost90
post Jun 5 2005, 05:27 PM
Post #4

yeah im wondering if i should test out the points. Damnit! It actually runs fine w/ the unit, according to d-jet troubleshooting the car will dog out if the tps is misaligned or if the car is too rich on take off. After messing abit w/ the computer adjustment, she idles better but still giving me troubles. I wonder if the vac advance/retard messes w/ the crane unit somehow? Maybe ill try some experiments w/ the vaccum connections.
+Quote Post
redshift
post Jun 5 2005, 05:35 PM
Post #5

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

Yeah, rack spacers for bump steer.. used to be sold in a generic kit, but you can make them for your specific setup.

You need syncros.. and bushings... and an afternnoon tweaking, for perfection.

You need to roll your fenders too.. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

M
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jun 5 2005, 07:10 PM
Post #6

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 09:01 PM