Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V « < 6 7 8  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Alternator question., Not Charging.
Spoke
post Oct 6 2019, 10:36 PM
Post #141

Jerry

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

QUOTE(AZBanks @ Oct 5 2019, 09:46 PM) *

I placed a jumper wire between D+ and DF. Started the car and the multimeter showed no voltage change at the battery posts.

Correct me if I am wrong but the light failure should not be an issue when I jumper D+ and DF. Jumpering D+ and DF effectively bypass the light.

Check the bulb resistance with your multimeter. If it is open, it needs to be replaced. Not sure what wattage it is. Someone else should chime in on that.

Jumping D+ to DF will not get the alternator started if the bulb is not in the circuit. The bulb provides a bit of armature field current to get the alternator started. Then D+ will pull up DF and the alternator will produce maximum output of about 17V.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Oct 7 2019, 02:17 PM
Post #142

Member No.: 21,449
Region Association: South East States

Spoke -

Bulb is fine, lights brightly both with ignition on, engine not running, and when engine is running.

Remember? I checked to make sure it was 2 watt, which it was, and I still put in a new one.

Weird thing is new Bosch VR charges fine - but GEN light stays on most of the time. New SS VR - light is off, but max. voltage to battery is 12.4 to 12.6.

Still have to do the tests you listed....been busy.....

GN

QUOTE(Spoke @ Oct 6 2019, 10:36 PM) *

I placed a jumper wire between D+ and DF. Started the car and the multimeter showed no voltage change at the battery posts.

Correct me if I am wrong but the light failure should not be an issue when I jumper D+ and DF. Jumpering D+ and DF effectively bypass the light.

Check the bulb resistance with your multimeter. If it is open, it needs to be replaced. Not sure what wattage it is. Someone else should chime in on that.

Jumping D+ to DF will not get the alternator started if the bulb is not in the circuit. The bulb provides a bit of armature field current to get the alternator started. Then D+ will pull up DF and the alternator will produce maximum output of about 17V.

+Quote Post
AZBanks
post Oct 9 2019, 08:53 AM
Post #143

Member No.: 5,245
Region Association: Southwest Region

I think Spoke's response was for me. Sorry to hijack your thread. I'm having the same or at least a similar issue to what you are facing so I jumped in here instead of creating a new thread.

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Oct 7 2019, 01:17 PM) *

Spoke -

Bulb is fine, lights brightly both with ignition on, engine not running, and when engine is running.

Remember? I checked to make sure it was 2 watt, which it was, and I still put in a new one.

Weird thing is new Bosch VR charges fine - but GEN light stays on most of the time. New SS VR - light is off, but max. voltage to battery is 12.4 to 12.6.

Still have to do the tests you listed....been busy.....

GN

QUOTE(Spoke @ Oct 6 2019, 10:36 PM) *

+Quote Post
AZBanks
post Oct 11 2019, 06:42 PM
Post #144

Member No.: 5,245
Region Association: Southwest Region

I picked up a set of dash light bulbs from the bird. I thought I was getting one bulb so I ordered two. Turn out, I got two sets. If anyone needs a dash light bulb, let me know and I'll drop one in the mail, I have PLENTY!

I swapped out the bulb and nothing changed. Still no light when the key is in the on position.

+Quote Post
Spoke
post Oct 11 2019, 07:12 PM
Post #145

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

QUOTE(AZBanks @ Oct 11 2019, 08:42 PM) *

I swapped out the bulb and nothing changed. Still no light when the key is in the on position.

Assume you're talking about the GEN light. Please get your voltmeter, start the car, measure:V+, VD, V-, and Battery to chassis. So much information about the state of the charging system is contained in one of these charging voltage sets. Please take all 4 measurements at the same time. Should take about 1 minute. Write them down and let me know what they are.
+Quote Post

8 Pages V « < 6 7 8
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:23 PM