Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fuel, Fuel Pump/hoses
Chip
post Mar 25 2018, 10:51 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,986
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Hi everyone! My 1.7 sat for over 30 years. Need to drain tank and install new pump, lines, filter. Anyone know what size lines (braided) come out of the tank? Fuel pump has been moved to front. Also need a good fuel pump. Original Bosch is over $600.
Thanks!Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Mar 26 2018, 12:44 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474
Region Association: Southern California

Hello, these images may help you. About the fuel pump, you might want to consider using 2 port inline type of fuel pump that are used for later 914. less return line with split. And if you still have the original plastic tunnel fuel lines, maybe it’s time to replace them with SS fuel tunnel lines and also for engine bay fuel lines.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Mar 26 2018, 07:31 AM
Post #3

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

Yes, on the late style pump. No, on the braided line. The fuel will seep through the braids after the rubber breaks down from ethanol fuel. Use only hose rated for ethanol, unless you have real gas in your area.
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Mar 26 2018, 08:19 AM
Post #4

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

Yes on the 2 port pump and SS lines. If you keep the pump up front you are now pressuring lines that were not meant for that purpose. Later cars had heavier lines when the pump were moved up front. 7.5 and 9.5mm are the line sizes.
+Quote Post
Chip
post Apr 6 2018, 08:02 PM
Post #5

Thanks mucho, gentlemen! When the purged fuel tank returns, I can get after it. The sludge/tar/goop that was inside the tank was unbelievable. I found a great radiator shop that is cleaning it out. Thank you, ndfrigi, for the terrific diagrams. Will use ss for all lines now, as I have no idea of what's in the original hoses.
Thank you!
+Quote Post
Chip
post Apr 6 2018, 08:23 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Mar 26 2018, 07:31 AM) *

Yes, on the late style pump. No, on the braided line. The fuel will seep through the braids after the rubber breaks down from ethanol fuel. Use only hose rated for ethanol, unless you have real gas in your area.

You can't imagine how much you have helped me!
Thanks again!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
mgphoto
post Apr 7 2018, 11:37 AM
Post #7

"If there is a mistake it will find me"

Member No.: 10,225

Do you know for sure the fuel pump is bad?
Most times you can run it backwards in a bucket of gas, to clean it out, be careful of sparks do it outside and have a fire extinguisher ready.
+Quote Post
Chip
post Apr 7 2018, 07:22 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(mgphoto @ Apr 7 2018, 11:37 AM) *

Do you know for sure the fuel pump is bad?
Most times you can run it backwards in a bucket of gas, to clean it out, be careful of sparks do it outside and have a fire extinguisher ready.

The pump could be good. The "R" port was completely blocked with black, solid gunk.
Can you please explain how I can clean it & check it out?Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mgphoto
post Apr 9 2018, 01:39 PM
Post #9

OK this is not for the faint of heart nor should it be done in a haphazard fashion.

Plan your problems, (what if I knock over the bucket?) and so on. Be ready.

Have a fire extinguisher, for combustible liquids like gasoline, a good one, close by.

Fill a plastic bucket with just enough gasoline to cover the fuel pump. Do this someplace that is safely away from structures and combustible materials.

Rig up two wires about 8 to 10 feet long, one end connect crimp on connectors to accept the pumps terminals. The other end use a battery clamp such as the items listed below (no affiliation)

https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/electric...BCABEgLPj_D_BwE[/url]

Try to remove as much gunk as possible, don't damage anything. After connecting the wires to the pump ONLY, place it in the gasoline, a full charged car battery works best for this.

Place the fire extinguisher between the battery and the bucket, connect the wires to the battery terminals for 15 seconds, than reverse the polarity.

Do this for a few minutes, keep reversing the polarity, soon enough the pump should clear.

Now a days fuel pumps are inside the fuel tank, ours are sealed just as the newest ones are, so just be careful, use your head.

If this doesn't work than you will need to get this one rebuilt or swap it for a rebuilt.

Good luck and be careful!
+Quote Post
Chip
post Apr 10 2018, 11:20 AM
Post #10

QUOTE(mgphoto @ Apr 9 2018, 01:39 PM) *

OK this is not for the faint of heart nor should it be done in a haphazard fashion.

Have a fire extinguisher, for combustible liquids like gasoline, a good one, close by.

Fill a plastic bucket with just enough gasoline to cover the fuel pump. Do this someplace that is safely away from structures and combustible materials.

Rig up two wires about 8 to 10 feet long, one end connect crimp on connectors to accept the pumps terminals. The other end use a battery clamp such as the items listed below (no affiliation)

Try to remove as much gunk as possible, don't damage anything. After connecting the wires to the pump ONLY, place it in the gasoline, a full charged car battery works best for this.

Place the fire extinguisher between the battery and the bucket, connect the wires to the battery terminals for 15 seconds, than reverse the polarity.

Do this for a few minutes, keep reversing the polarity, soon enough the pump should clear.

Now a days fuel pumps are inside the fuel tank, ours are sealed just as the newest ones are, so just be careful, use your head.

If this doesn't work than you will need to get this one rebuilt or swap it for a rebuilt.

Can't wait to try this. Thank you very much. Will take all the precautions. Perhaps the local fire dept. will allow me to do it in their parking bay? (Kidding).

+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Apr 10 2018, 11:46 AM
Post #11

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

Might try replying to a quote outside the quote box [ ].
Hard to find your reply inside the box.
+Quote Post
Chip
post Apr 16 2018, 02:42 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(Chip @ Apr 10 2018, 11:20 AM) *

QUOTE(mgphoto @ Apr 9 2018, 01:39 PM) *

Can't wait to try this. Thank you very much. Will take all the precautions. Perhaps the local fire dept. will allow me to do it in their parking bay? (Kidding).

Dear mgphoto:

I tried the backflush w/gas method, and after a few shots, the pump began to hum, but then it slows to kind of a chug, chug. When first connected in the right way, it buzzes, then slows. What should it sound like when it is clear?A lot of gunk came out of it. I think it's working! Thank you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Chip
post Apr 16 2018, 02:44 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Apr 10 2018, 11:46 AM) *

Thanks. How do I do this? This site is hard for me to learn. There is no "send" button either.
+Quote Post
mgphoto
post Apr 17 2018, 05:04 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(Chip @ Apr 16 2018, 01:44 PM) *

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Apr 10 2018, 11:46 AM) *

Thanks. How do I do this? This site is hard for me to learn. There is no "send" button either.

This site, as do all websites, uses coding to produce pages for viewing, they are not that difficult to decode. Also anything you post you can edited, just keep that in mind.

As for the pump, you may not be out of the woods yet, the pump needs to supply 28 PSI of constant pressure to be functional.
As for the sound, it is a sort of a hum, it is noticeable when the key is turned from off to on before turning the key to start. The pump will run for 2 seconds to pressurize the fuel ring, than shut off if the engine is not started.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:29 PM