Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Build Thread: Restoration and New School V8, Photogrammetry: Pics to CAD
Maltese Falcon
post Apr 7 2018, 03:30 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,755
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 7 2018, 11:51 AM) *

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Apr 7 2018, 10:50 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) looks like the PO had an aftermarket a/c going on in the front trunk (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) If you plan to exit your spent radiator air out the bottom, you have a head start ...just close up what you don't need !

Generates to much lift under the car at speed. Wheel well or hood exhaust would be my only choices

Absolutely what Andyrew is saying...however I've used small portions of the trunk floor (The 2 knockout circles ) for my oil cooler spent- air exits... NO high speed lift whatsoever ; but on my current v8/ radiator build I'm going out the top^^^ Ford gt40 style all the way (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Joemo5
post Apr 8 2018, 11:07 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 22,011
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(JRust @ Apr 5 2018, 02:03 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) Good looking project there. Love the v8 setup & hope you do the Boxtser S transmission. Awesome LS setup. Looking forward to that coming together. Lot's of metal work needed. That is a little easier when you aren't as concerned about it being stock. Give's you more options on how to do things. There are quite a few great build here that really go extreme on metal fab work. You are in the right place

Thanks! That transmission is definitely what I'm leaning towards at the moment. Specifically the G86.20 out of 2000-2004 Boxster S. Mostly because there seems to be the most support for that model and it has acceptable gearing for a V8. Thats also the go to trans for Renegade hybrids. I wonder if there is anyone on 914 world with that trans that could share their experience?
+Quote Post
Joemo5
post Apr 8 2018, 11:42 AM
Post #23

I have been tied up doing transmission repairs on my daily, a 06 Subaru LGT. So in the mean time I've been playing around with an excel sheet left over from a college assignment. The idea being to get an idea of how the Boxster gearing plays out with a 914 and 5.3L EcoTech. Hopefully, the screen shots are legible.

Here are my inputs. Note that the 7000 rev limiter is high. Realistically, 6500 would be a better limit point with valve spring and push rod changes for the 5.3L to live happily.

Attached Image

I pulled my torque data from the stock graph shown here

2014-2016 CHEVY/GMC SILVERADO/SIERRA 5.3L 1500 TEXAS SPEED & PERFORMANCE L83TR-2 CAMSHAFT

Plotted my points and calculated and equation

Attached Image

Found gear ratio's for the G86.20 trans from here

PORSCHE 986 BOXSTER TRANSAXLE SPECIFICATIONS

Below shows engine speed in each gear. Note this is for a rear 275/40R17 tire. (flares are definitely in my future) The blacked out area's are above the rev limiter or below idle.

Attached Image

Using the equation calculated above and the gearing for the G86.20 determined the force the tire could potentially exert on the road in each gear "tractive force". I then used the drag coefficient and frontal area found in this link...

Cassidy-Online Areodynamic Aids

... to determine aerodynamic drag for the range of speeds shown. Note the drag coefficient and frontal area are for a narrow body car without a spoiler or front splitter. So realistically, I imagine the drag force would be higher. I also calculated a force induced by rolling resistance of the tire for range of speed shown. However, I feel less confident in that calculation but figured it plays a role so I included it. Below is a graph of "resistive force" (areo + rolling resistance) and "tractive force" in each gear shown in the Y axis and speed in the X axis.

Attached Image

Subtracting the resistive forces from tractive forces gives an overall force applied to the car causing acceleration. Using the weight of the car (~2300lbs) you could come up with an acceleration in G's shown below in each gear, at each speed. Again, blacked out area's are either above 7000 rpm or below idle.

Attached Image

It's probably worth taking all this with a grain of salt.. there are a million and one variables not included that could affect any of the above. The car probably won't accelerate at 2G's either. More likely is a smoke show and a slightly smaller tire diameter. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Joemo5
post May 7 2018, 09:57 PM
Post #24

Well I have been busy and hope to stay busy. With as much metal work as this car needs, a rotisserie is in needed. So I'm going to build one based off the blue sky motorsports plan. In the process of stripping the car I realized there is a lot of rust to the passenger side frame rail along with a nice dent (pics to come later). Thus I need a good way to keep the car straight while repairs are made so I came up with this.

Attached Image

The idea is that triangles are stiff and tying each support to one another should do a good job at preventing any sagging or deformation. This is my first go at a rotisserie restoration so those who are experienced, please feel free to chime in on ways you have prevented the dreaded sagging frame that I've read about. When the doors were removed the gaps looked great. Lets hope they stay that way.

Here's some more detailed pics

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

The entire system is modular and bolts in except for the vertical tube in the center that is tack welded to the underside of the windshield frame.

Attached Image

All the small diameter tubing is clamped to the larger tubing via shaft collar. Which should allow adjustments to be made to the length of the larger tubing members if the chassis where to flex.

Attached Image

Lastly, heres a start on the rotisserie.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
mgp4591
post May 8 2018, 12:25 AM
Post #25

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Wow, that's an amazing bracing system - great job! Now I'm fearing that mine isn't going to be enough... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post May 8 2018, 05:05 AM
Post #26

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Apr 7 2018, 05:30 PM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 7 2018, 11:51 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) looks like the PO had an aftermarket a/c going on in the front trunk (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) If you plan to exit your spent radiator air out the bottom, you have a head start ...just close up what you don't need !

Generates to much lift under the car at speed. Wheel well or hood exhaust would be my only choices

Absolutely what Andyrew is saying...however I've used small portions of the trunk floor (The 2 knockout circles ) for my oil cooler spent- air exits... NO high speed lift whatsoever ; but on my current v8/ radiator build I'm going out the top^^^ Ford gt40 style all the way (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

I did the same thing. The two knockout circles are easy to remove and easily reversible.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Joemo5
post May 29 2018, 10:30 PM
Post #27

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 7 2018, 02:51 PM) *

I am fond of the hood exit however, with a radiator and the front tower support there isn't much room a smooth transition. With either the hood exit or the fender well exit, I guess getting caught in the rain wouldn't be good? Some deutsch connections would take care of the electronics but it still seams like it would trap water.. assuming the car still had a complete trunk floor unlike mine.
+Quote Post
Joemo5
post May 29 2018, 10:41 PM
Post #28

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ May 8 2018, 02:25 AM) *

Wow, that's an amazing bracing system - great job! Now I'm fearing that mine isn't going to be enough... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Thanks! I'd imagine it depends on how much of the longitudinal your planning on replacing. Since mine are nearly gone, I need all the stiffness I can get.
+Quote Post
Joemo5
post May 29 2018, 10:51 PM
Post #29

So the rotisserie is starting to take shape. Trying to hold back and go by the KISS method since this is just a means to an end..

Attached Image

Attached Image

I went decided to veer away from the blue sky motorsports plans slightly with a different locking mechanism. Theres a plate with holes and spring pin that will catch the holes a set locations and a nut/bolt clamp that locks on that plate to really keep things from moving when needed.

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Joemo5
post Jun 5 2018, 08:35 PM
Post #30

The rotisserie is complete and the car is mounted. Here is the finished rotisserie. I wish I made a beefier tie bar between the front and rear supports. That may be a wise investment.

Attached Image

Heres a overview of the locking end.

Attached Image

And here she is mounted up. We have had ridiculously humid weather recently, so I painted all the bare steel on the door supports and the rotisserie.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Joemo5
post Jun 5 2018, 09:37 PM
Post #31

Here's some good pics of the worst section on the car. The passenger long is not only rusted through near the hell hole, it's also crushed from who knows what.

Attached Image

Attached Image

So at this point I'm wondering if it would be easier in the long run to get the entire thing blasted or dive in repairing the major problem areas?

On a less serious note..

Attached Image
+Quote Post
mbseto
post Jun 6 2018, 08:07 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 17,743
Region Association: North East States

This looks like the start of a really cool project.
+Quote Post
Joemo5
post Jan 27 2019, 11:34 PM
Post #33

With a ton of sheet metal work still to do, it wasn't my intention to move forward with purchasing drivetrain components but I found a deal I couldn't pass up.

I had been looking at wrecked Boxster S's on Copart, a online auction website. The thought was; it might be possible to buy one, keep the transaxle and part out the other stuff too re-coupe most of the initial cost. Ironically, a junkyard a few minutes from my house bought a 2003 Boxster S I had my eye on. After talking to the guy, I got to see it run and drive and point out exactly what pieces and parts I wanted, so I went for it.

Ended up taking home the G86.20 trans, mounting brackets and rubber isolators, shifter cables, the shifter, the boxster center console and the Brembo brakes.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

I didn't get the rotors because it looked like most people are using a rotor off a 930 carrera but that's with the non-S caliper's. I can't help but wonder if the Boxster S rotor's could be used with the correct caliper adapter? The bolt pattern for 5 lug conversions is 5x130 and so is the Boxster S.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jan 27 2019, 11:49 PM
Post #34

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

That is going to be a really nice build.

Many of us use the standard Boxster calipers since they will fit under 15" rims.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jan 28 2019, 10:49 AM
Post #35

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

What is the going rate on the G86 trans? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Joemo5
post Jan 28 2019, 05:17 PM
Post #36

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 28 2019, 11:49 AM) *

What is the going rate on the G86 trans? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

$1700 for trans, shifter, and cables. It's got 98,000 miles on it which is high in comparison to other ones on the market but I got to see it run and drive which counts for something.

QUOTE(Mueller @ Jan 28 2019, 12:49 AM) *

That is going to be a really nice build.

Many of us use the standard Boxster calipers since they will fit under 15" rims.

Thanks! I figured there was a reason there's less info out there on the "S" calipers.
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Jan 28 2019, 05:39 PM
Post #37

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

good amount of rust but clearly you are up for the challenge.

might want to consider a long reinforcement kit on top of all the repair you are gonna do?

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/INLO...z0aAmwgEALw_wcB

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Joemo5
post Jan 28 2019, 06:36 PM
Post #38

QUOTE(jimkelly @ Jan 28 2019, 06:39 PM) *

good amount of rust but clearly you are up for the challenge.

might want to consider a long reinforcement kit on top of all the repair you are gonna do?

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/INLO...z0aAmwgEALw_wcB

I'm definitely going to add reinforcements. A roll cage is a no brainer but tying in to the suspension points, rear roll hoop and A pillars should help add in torsional rigidity. While I haven't done enough research into this yet, it seams like a lot of these V8 swaps end up turning a 2100 lbs car into a 2600+ lbs sled. Since my engine and drivetrain choices have added ~250lbs without including the cooling system and supporting equipment, I will try to add reinforcements (weight) very wisely.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jan 28 2019, 09:45 PM
Post #39

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

If your not into originality this is the best system I have found to fix bad rockers, they really stiffen up the car. Still need o fix the rust but these and the Maddog kit, makes a very stiff chassis.

"Excellent for repairing longitudinal and jack receiver rust. Also extensively used for competition chassis stiffening and large engine installations. The panels are .100 thick (very strong) and extend from front wheel house to the outer rear suspension console. Welding is required. The rear section of the panel sandwiches between the outer suspension console and the trailing arm. Permanently restores door gap and eliminates flexing problems. Provides a base to weld to if additional repair is needed in floors, inner longitudinal, or firewall area. Excellent installation instructions included plus my personal assistance if you have questions. I have been selling and installing these for 28 years. There is nothing on the market for 914 chassis repair that is this strong, proven or easy to install. Porsche repair and restoration expert for 38 years.

Free Shipping.
"

Lifted from 914LTD Here is where you can order, Brad is a very nice guy and supporter of our hobby.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jan 28 2019, 09:59 PM
Post #40

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

BTW, Brad's front and rear sway bar mounts are very nice. The front design is great and does not require cutting the car inner box section under the fuel tank.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th May 2024 - 01:53 PM