Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Holy Merde!, close encounter with a leaky fuel line
nebreitling
post Jul 11 2003, 11:39 AM
Post #1

Member Emeritus

Group: Members
Member No.: 478

so i went to start my 75 2.0 this morning. it has sat undriven for only 6 days, no big deal. i just removed the air pump and plugged the air injector jets last weekend.

i start it up and check out the engine bay to make sure that my plugs haven't backed out -- and i notice a very small amount of white smoke coming out of the exhaust -- i've never seen this with my car, engine runs great. perplexed, i think i smell fuel -- look back in the engine bay and notice a little pool of gasoline accumulating beneath the metal fuel rail on the drivers side (cylinders 1-2).

you've never seen a guy shut off an engine so quick! thank goodness i caught it before i started driving or the engine warmed up...

my question: could the white exhaust be related to this? i'm wondering if a fuel injector is plugged -- maybe that would put too much pressure in the fuel lines, making them leak?

in any case i think it's time to renew all of my fuel hoses (and perhaps install a fire extinguisher) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
aufaber
post Jul 11 2003, 12:02 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 525

Smoke from too much fuel is blackish.. Oil smoke is blueish white.. white smoke is steam.

If you didn't drive the car for 6 days water just probably condensed in the exhaust.

-Aaron G>
+Quote Post
airsix
post Jul 11 2003, 12:48 PM
Post #3

I have bees in my epiglotis

Member No.: 266

Yep, scary stuff. 12 years ago when I was a poor dumb kid with my first delapidated 914 I smelled fuel one day and quickly parked and popped the engine lid. I was greeted with a nice mist of fuel. Yes, a mist. My first thought was "fuel air bomb". Yikes. The small curved piece of fuel line between an injector and the rail had developed a mall rupture. Fuel was puddling below it, and it was spraying out a mist of fuel just like an injector nozzle. Talk about worst-case. That's got to be the most combustible type of leak there is. Car didn't move an inch from that spot until I had replaced all the lines. My current 914? Drove it home from the seller's house and parked it until I had replaced all the lines. I don't like fires unless they are between a piston top and a combustion chamber. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
-Ben M.
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Jul 11 2003, 02:03 PM
Post #4

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

QUOTE(airsix @ Jul 11 2003, 10:48 AM)
I don't like fires unless they are between a piston top and a combustion chamber. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
-Ben M.

my thoughts exactly!!

that's a great (if disconcerting) story about the fuel mist.... you're a lucky guy..

nathan
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jul 11 2003, 04:51 PM
Post #5

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8
Region Association: None

So...

Pull the injectors and remove the "crimp" fitting on the fuel line to the injector and replace it with a short piece of fuel injection hose and a hose clamp.

They all spring a leak at the "bend" over time.

B
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 12:14 AM