Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Classified Rules!
3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> WTB! 914 in good, running condition---on a budget., I would like to buy a running and solid 914
billh1963
post Apr 11 2018, 04:47 AM
Post #21

Car Hoarder!

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

Based on the front trunk and door jamb the color looks like marathon blue metallic.....a most excellent color.

They painted the rear trunk black for some reason.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Apr 11 2018, 04:49 AM
Post #22

Car Hoarder!

Also, those with leads for KB may want to PM him. I've noticed a well known flipper is actively watching this thread looking to snake any leads.
+Quote Post
iwanta914-6
post Apr 11 2018, 09:02 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 10,510
Region Association: None

QUOTE(KBMAN @ Apr 11 2018, 12:57 AM) *

Question: would it take considerable value out of an original 914 to paint it another color? (the stock blue or teal would be super dope)

If you are concerned about "value" then you're doing this for the wrong reason (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

This car you are talking about will probably never be a show queen or concourse winner, so if you get it, do whatever makes you happy. If it were me, I'd paint it Ravenna Green!

But if you only have a budget for 5-8K, a decent paint job is going to be that alone. More if it needs any body work. Of course you could always look into a wrap, still need a nice surface underneath though.

I suggest you check and see if any members local to you will go with you to take a look at it.
+Quote Post
KBMAN
post Apr 11 2018, 11:33 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 22,027
Region Association: Northern California

I had a feeling that there is a 'flipper lurker' here (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) And given that, I will not post the whereabouts of any particular 914 that isn't filtered through CL, or any other website.

Serious question though...In general, are these cars worth it in the scope of a hobby AND a investment? I wouldn't think a 914, if spruced up, would ever go down in value. But my main goal is NOT to make money, but to enjoy the ride (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Where is that blue 914 you were talking about (with the black trunk)? I didn't see a link.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 11 2018, 11:57 AM
Post #25

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(KBMAN @ Apr 11 2018, 01:33 PM) *

I had a feeling that there is a 'flipper lurker' here (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) And given that, I will not post the whereabouts of any particular 914 that isn't filtered through CL, or any other website.

Serious question though...In general, are these cars worth it in the scope of a hobby AND a investment? I wouldn't think a 914, if spruced up, would ever go down in value. But my main goal is NOT to make money, but to enjoy the ride (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Where is that blue 914 you were talking about (with the black trunk)? I didn't see a link.

The challenge with 914’s is the cost of work compared to the value of the car. A 1/2 million dollar 911RS will easily support a $30k paint job where even a 10k respray on a 914 might get you underwater. Many of the costs, especially labor, are the same for any classic car but when you start out with a higher value car, the costs like labor are a much smaller percentage of the cars worth. It doesn’t mean you shouldn’t fix up a 914, it just means there is a smaller margin for profit if you intend to look at a 914 as an “investment”.
We all want our cars to be worth a little when we are buying but worth a lot when we sell.
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Apr 11 2018, 01:31 PM
Post #26

Car Hoarder!

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/6556140990.html
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Apr 11 2018, 02:18 PM
Post #27

Car Hoarder!

Although the market has cooled somewhat, there are still plenty of flippers who peruse forums like these hoping someone else will do the dirty work of finding them a car to buy and flip.

It's always best not to post any details about the location of a car you are interested in until AFTER you buy it.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 11 2018, 02:35 PM
Post #28

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Apr 11 2018, 04:18 PM) *

Although the market has cooled somewhat, there are still plenty of flippers who peruse forums like these hoping someone else will do the dirty work of finding them a car to buy and flip.

It's always best not to post any details about the location of a car you are interested in until AFTER you buy it.

Even a picture can be searched on Google to find the origin of the ad. I mostly deal with unlisted sellers just to bypass the competition.
+Quote Post
iwanta914-6
post Apr 11 2018, 03:18 PM
Post #29

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 11 2018, 03:35 PM) *

I mostly deal with unlisted sellers just to bypass the competition.

Difficult for those of us on the "outside" of Porsche circles to get leads on unlisted sellers.

When I thought I was ready to jump in and buy, I posted a Want To Buy locally on Craigslist. I wrote a long ad with my history of when and why I fell in love with the 914 and tried to be as honest and transparent as possible so that people would know that I wasn't some sort of flipper or scammer or just some "hipster" that wants a vintage Porsche.

I actually got a couple of leads and one of them I regret not buying. I had several conversations on the phone with a French man with a 75 1.8L in Ancona Blue just over on the other side of town. It wasn't perfect but it was a solid driver and that Ancona Blue was beatiful. He was a car guy that likes when his cars go to someone that will enjoy them, almost like an interview process to see if you're good enough. Unfortunatly when he finally called me to get it out of storage (about 2 months after our initial conversation), I no longer had the funds available. He only wanted $7500 and I'll be kicking myself for a long time on that one.

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 11 2018, 03:53 PM
Post #30

914-6 GT in waiting

You don’t have to be part of some inner Porsche circle or a fast talking shyster to get a good deal.
I bought 2 from the 914 yahoo group and helped sfrenk/Scott find his, also on yahoo group. The group is pretty dead so not much competition from other buyers.
The first was Scott’s when I saw a listing for a rust free roller in CA. Scott called and got the car. I think it was $2k. The second was my famous Unicorn ad - “wanted, rust free early car for not much money”. Mike Bellis said I was looking for a unicorn. 2 weeks later, a guy responded and I had the $2,500 very low rust ‘71 shipped from CA. $2,500 was his price, not mine. The third was the orange ‘71 that I just purchased. The origional owner asked where to get the rust repaired. I gave him advice. He bought all new metal but changed his mind and asked if I wanted to buy it.
The Suby car was listed on World for $3,500 but within a week, I had sold $3,500 worth of parts (it had a lot of brand new suspension and brake parts) so that was a wash. I think the roll cage turned people off. Took me 2 hours with a sawsall and grinder to make it go away. The red ‘71 was listed on world for $6k, then $4,500 but when I asked him his bottom number, he said $1,200. I sold the steering wheel from that car for $1k so that deal worked out pretty good. It was my sort of daily driver for almost 2 years.

I heard this quote a while ago but it still rings true - The deal of a lifetime happens about once a month.
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Apr 11 2018, 04:00 PM
Post #31

Car Hoarder!

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 11 2018, 05:53 PM) *

I heard this quote a while ago but it still rings true - The deal of a lifetime happens about once a month.

Truer words were never spoken! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Apr 11 2018, 04:06 PM
Post #32

Car Hoarder!

You don’t have to be part of some inner Porsche circle or a fast talking shyster to get a good deal.
I bought 2 from the 914 yahoo group and helped sfrenk/Scott find his, also on yahoo group. The group is pretty dead so not much competition from other buyers.
The first was Scott’s when I saw a listing for a rust free roller in CA. Scott called and got the car. I think it was $2k. The second was my famous Unicorn ad - “wanted, rust free early car for not much money”. Mike Bellis said I was looking for a unicorn. 2 weeks later, a guy responded and I had the $2,500 very low rust ‘71 shipped from CA. $2,500 was his price, not mine. The third was the orange ‘71 that I just purchased. The origional owner asked where to get the rust repaired. I gave him advice. He bought all new metal but changed his mind and asked if I wanted to buy it.
The Suby car was listed on World for $3,500 but within a week, I had sold $3,500 worth of parts (it had a lot of brand new suspension and brake parts) so that was a wash. I think the roll cage turned people off. Took me 2 hours with a sawsall and grinder to make it go away. The red ‘71 was listed on world for $6k, then $4,500 but when I asked him his bottom number, he said $1,200. I sold the steering wheel from that car for $1k so that deal worked out pretty good. It was my sort of daily driver for almost 2 years.

Mark is spot on. I've bought some cars in the past that were listed for a long time. If there is something off with the car (color, rollbar, or even wheels) people will often pass up a solid car. You have to look at the "bones" of the car and see if it's solid and can be made into what you are looking for. Sometimes we are sitting on "acres of diamonds" and don't even realize it.

+Quote Post
Fatboy007
post Apr 11 2018, 04:23 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 21,124
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(KBMAN @ Apr 11 2018, 12:57 AM) *

QUOTE(Blue6 @ Apr 10 2018, 06:50 PM) *

Kbman, your learning fast. Stay away from that local connect, white ones are always slower. If you can’t get a blue one, then red, orange, yellow, green. Remember your representing the 70’s... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Hey Blue6 , I'm not sure how to take your response...Are you serious, or funny? BTW, I found out that there is no 'knock' in the engine...but it needs a few 100 bucks to get it running...I wonder why 914's run into issues with the FI, once it is put back in place? Anyhoo, it looks to be the best candidate so far, and will look at it in about a week (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) Question: would it take considerable value out of an original 914 to paint it another color? (the stock blue or teal would be super dope)

yup
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 11 2018, 04:25 PM
Post #34

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Apr 11 2018, 06:06 PM) *

Mark is spot on. I've bought some cars in the past that were listed for a long time. If there is something off with the car (color, rollbar, or even wheels) people will often pass up a solid car. You have to look at the "bones" of the car and see if it's solid and can be made into what you are looking for. Sometimes we are sitting on "acres of diamonds" and don't even realize it.

2 years ago I also bought the light blue car listed on this site for, I think $4,500. I asked the seller his bottom line and he said $2,500. I drove an hour with a trailer and picked it up. Unfortunately, the seller did a lot of “repair” work with a stick welder and por 15 and ruined the chassis. Still about $4k in parts and some good metal to fix other cars.

There was a white 914 sitting at my local mechanics for 4 years. Opened up the glove box, found the seller/origional owner and bought the car for $200. Sold all the parts for $2k and then gave the chassis to Paul Petition for free. His brother rebuilt it into a running car.

I do like the buying game.
+Quote Post
Fatboy007
post Apr 11 2018, 04:26 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 21,124
Region Association: Southern California

Either more money or a project car... either way you're gonna love it... I'm only one year into owning my '75 and man I love it.
These people are great too... you're gonna love it here (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Apr 11 2018, 04:35 PM
Post #36

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

Ah really..."super dope"...Are you sure a P-car is what you are looking for? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
iwanta914-6
post Apr 12 2018, 12:50 PM
Post #37

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 11 2018, 04:53 PM) *

What is this yahoo group you speak of? I thought yahoo in general was dead, lol.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 12 2018, 01:28 PM
Post #38

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Apr 12 2018, 02:50 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 11 2018, 04:53 PM) *

What is this yahoo group you speak of? I thought yahoo in general was dead, lol.

http://www.porsche914.org
+Quote Post
KBMAN
post Apr 12 2018, 02:41 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 22,027

Thanks guys for all of the honest and insightful info...and, just for the record, I am a classy guy, with classy stuff, despite my budget constraints. So when I say 'that would be super dope' it means I'm generation X, and in my early 40ies (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
BuddyV
post Apr 13 2018, 10:06 AM
Post #40

Robert

Member No.: 3,898

KB.... I live in Santa Rosa. Recently bought a "finished" black car from a fellow member. This after having purchased 4 or five cars in the past 15 years that needed much work.

Had fun with the others, but buying one that is ready to drive and enjoy not only saves money in the big picture, but gets you driving immediately.

If you are near Santa Rosa, let's get together and I can show you both my cars. One is great..... the other can only dream of greatness.

Both are fun in their own ways.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:25 AM