Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 1972 914 Build
autopro
post Apr 10 2018, 08:22 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,797
Region Association: Southern California

Hello guys, I am new here to the 914 World forum. I have really enjoyed the topics that are covered here and loved watching all of the build threads and restoration projects everyone has posted.

I just bought a 1972 914 from a friend a couple of weeks ago and I am trying to come up with a plan on how to get this car back on the road. It seems it has been off the road for more than 10 years and it has just sat since then. Luckily it had been kept from the elements so there is minimal surface rust and most body panels are straight.

The engine seems to be missing some components and the harness for the fuel injection is in pretty bad shape. Also the engine seems to be from a 1973 model year because the number on it is EB005705 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Now since the engine isn't original for the car I do not know if it's worth to go on an all out restoration or to just do a repaint, fix all the mechanicals and get it on the road again, what do you guys think?

Oh and since I know how people hate threads without pictures here are some of the car for you.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

And this is after I got the engine home on my truck.

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
14 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
DRPHIL914
post Apr 10 2018, 10:29 AM
Post #2

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
I know the paint looks rough but it looks clean and straight, good door gaps - take the rocker covers off to see the longs better and take some pictures of the engine compartment and post - if those areas and under seats look good no structural rust I would clean it up, - if your budget it tight I would do a vinyl wrap until you can affor a full out paint job, or paint now - but if you are anxious to drive it , well then go thru the brake system first, check compression on motor, clean , drain etc and reinstall it and drive and enjoy for a while, - but it looks like your friend stopped after stripping it down some to do more work, maybe now if you have time, $$ and space, to do it now- but safety first- new gas lines and hoses, brakes flushed out and make sure new pads and no frozen up calipers, while motor is out it might be a good time to really check it out- do you know when motor ran last and what its condition is?

good luck, you know you will find the help you need here !
+Quote Post
914forme
post Apr 10 2018, 10:47 AM
Post #3

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Also look in the classifieds or post a WTB ad, as some people are swapping engines like crazy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) You might be able to find a good running example to bolt right in, and get you on the road.

Most of the other questions you have to answer for yourself.

And 10 years off the road (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) that was a short jack stand break. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Since your new to this place you might notice at the bottom of my posts in my signature, I am poking fun at myself and my family.

I have an engine swap build that has gone off the deep end.

I have one of the oldest 914 restorations or rebuilds know to man.

To paraphrase McMark - A running 914 beats one on stands any day of the week.

Best wisdom ever, get yours running, get it on the road. These cars are pretty easy to upgrade in short time or fix items as you go. And driving these little things is what keeps all of us coming back here. I could never muster all the work I do on these cars if I did not like to (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) so much.
+Quote Post
carking1996
post Apr 10 2018, 11:38 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 20,399
Region Association: North East States

Nice car! I love seeing restorations from cars in the shape yours is in.
+Quote Post
mbseto
post Apr 10 2018, 12:07 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 17,743
Region Association: North East States

Welcome! Original or not, I lean towards getting it on the road again.
+Quote Post
pt_700
post Apr 10 2018, 12:09 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 11,430
Region Association: Northern California

off topic; that's a bitchin' 620 you've got there. takes me back to my youth...

i used to scoff at low rider mini trucks until i loaded my motorcycle into my friend's...

welcome!
+Quote Post
autopro
post Apr 10 2018, 03:47 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Apr 10 2018, 09:29 AM) *

I know the paint looks rough but it looks clean and straight, good door gaps - take the rocker covers off to see the longs better and take some pictures of the engine compartment and post - if those areas and under seats look good no structural rust I would clean it up, - if your budget it tight I would do a vinyl wrap until you can affor a full out paint job, or paint now - but if you are anxious to drive it , well then go thru the brake system first, check compression on motor, clean , drain etc and reinstall it and drive and enjoy for a while, - but it looks like your friend stopped after stripping it down some to do more work, maybe now if you have time, $$ and space, to do it now- but safety first- new gas lines and hoses, brakes flushed out and make sure new pads and no frozen up calipers, while motor is out it might be a good time to really check it out- do you know when motor ran last and what its condition is?

good luck, you know you will find the help you need here !

Thanks a lot for the warm welcome and advice

The idea is to do a full mechanical rebuild along with paint and body. I'm going to slowly start striping it down and get all the systems corrected. I do not know when the engine last ran, it didn't run back when my friend first bought it. I do know it turns freely and I am contemplating building this motor up to a 1911 with 96mm pistons but I would need to find some 1.8 or 2.0 heads.

Here are some pictures of the engine compartment, I just didn't take any after I took the engine out since I was covered in grease jajaja

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
autopro
post Apr 10 2018, 03:56 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(914forme @ Apr 10 2018, 09:47 AM) *

And 10 years off the road (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) that was a short jack stand break. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Since your new to this place you might notice at the bottom of my posts in my signature, I am poking fun at myself and my family.

I have an engine swap build that has gone off the deep end.

I have one of the oldest 914 restorations or rebuilds know to man.

To paraphrase McMark - A running 914 beats one on stands any day of the week.

Best wisdom ever, get yours running, get it on the road. These cars are pretty easy to upgrade in short time or fix items as you go. And driving these little things is what keeps all of us coming back here. I could never muster all the work I do on these cars if I did not like to (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) so much.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) jajaja you really made me laugh. Well I wish I could just get this running quick but knowing me and how I like my cars that won't happen. This little 914 will be getting a good treatment. The day I took the engine out I also took the interior out and it already went to the upholstery shop.

I saw your thread the other day and really liked it, I'm going to be looking more into it because it has some very good information. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
autopro
post Apr 10 2018, 04:10 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(mbseto @ Apr 10 2018, 11:07 AM) *

Welcome! Original or not, I lean towards getting it on the road again.

Hopefully soon I can get it back on the road, and by original what I mean is not modifying it with a bigger engine and fender flares. My friend got a set of fiberglass fender flares that he gave me with the car and was wanting to do something like this, unless everyone thinks it's a really stupid idea (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

Attached Image

QUOTE(pt_700 @ Apr 10 2018, 11:09 AM) *

off topic; that's a bitchin' 620 you've got there. takes me back to my youth...

i used to scoff at low rider mini trucks until i loaded my motorcycle into my friend's...

welcome!

LOL same here, but I love this little truck and I know exactly what you mean about loading motorcycles (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Attached Image

+Quote Post
krazykonrad
post Apr 11 2018, 10:30 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 5,610

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Apr 11 2018, 12:54 PM
Post #11

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

I bought a 1600 pickup in June of 73, then my first 914 in August. Both brand new! Great little truck. Wish I still had it.
+Quote Post
aggiezig
post Apr 11 2018, 03:59 PM
Post #12

Porsche Wannabe

Member No.: 19,557

Your project looks like a great starting point!
+Quote Post
Freezin 914
post Apr 11 2018, 06:41 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 17,687
Region Association: Upper MidWest

+Quote Post
autopro
post Apr 11 2018, 10:00 PM
Post #14

Thanks guys really appreciate it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

@ The Cabinetmaker, I think there are always some cars we regret getting rid of.
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Apr 11 2018, 10:16 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

The engine compartment looks dirty, but doesn't look a rusty mess like most of these cars usually are.

Good luck with it.......and,

+Quote Post
autopro
post Apr 12 2018, 08:33 AM
Post #16

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Apr 11 2018, 09:16 PM) *

The engine compartment looks dirty, but doesn't look a rusty mess like most of these cars usually are.

Good luck with it.......and,

Thanks for the welcome, I'll get some better pictures of the engine compartment next time. I do see some rust up where the battery tray is. I will end up replacing the tray.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Apr 12 2018, 10:20 AM
Post #17

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) I'll be watching this thread because this car has particular allure for me. Like Larmo said, it's rare to see one of these that is crusty but not rusty. Very interesting... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
autopro
post Apr 13 2018, 09:07 AM
Post #18

bbrock, I'm glad you like it. I sure hope that I do not find too much h rust as I hate having to repair it. They paint on it is really crusty jajaja
+Quote Post
autopro
post Apr 30 2018, 08:35 AM
Post #19

Got the engine semi torn apart and I also started cleaning up the transmission trying to get all the gunk off. Hopefully here next week I will be able to get most of the parts that I took off cleaned and sent out to get sand blasted.

I've decided to build my 1.7 motor to a 2056 and found a great local guy to get the 2.0 crankshaft and some other parts that I need for the rebuild. I also looking to get a copy of the Bug Me Type 4 Engine Rebuild video in case anyone has one for sale. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I'll be building the engine for street and freeway use but will need to go with Dual 40 carbs, if anyone has any recommendations or tips for me I would love to hear them. Thanks guys (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
krazykonrad
post Apr 30 2018, 04:21 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 5,610

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) and nice truck!

Konrad
+Quote Post

14 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:48 AM