Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 fuel injected distributor
amcmackin
post Apr 10 2018, 10:40 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,714
Region Association: Northern California

I have been absent for a while and my car has sat, but upon running the car around i notice that the power was gone in the upper RPMs. I put electronic ignition in it thinking that might help, but it did not. After taking it to a shop they told me the distributor was bad.

The shop wants me to replace the distributor which is the original vacuum advance one, with a 123 distributor. I am looking to sell the car, so putting a $500+ distributor is not on my agenda.

Is there any way to loose the vacuum advance or am I stuck having this original one rebuilt. Not looking to break the bank either.

Aidan
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mgphoto
post Apr 10 2018, 10:48 AM
Post #2

"If there is a mistake it will find me"

Member No.: 10,225
Region Association: Southern California

Sound like fuel restriction.
Check pressure before spending lots of cash.

Need more info about your car.
+Quote Post
914sgofast2
post Apr 10 2018, 11:06 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 15,855
Region Association: None

QUOTE(amcmackin @ Apr 10 2018, 09:40 AM) *

I have been absent for a while and my car has sat, but upon running the car around i notice that the power was gone in the upper RPMs. I put electronic ignition in it thinking that might help, but it did not. After taking it to a shop they told me the distributor was bad.

The shop wants me to replace the distributor which is the original vacuum advance one, with a 123 distributor. I am looking to sell the car, so putting a $500+ distributor is not on my agenda.

Is there any way to loose the vacuum advance or am I stuck having this original one rebuilt. Not looking to break the bank either.

Aidan

If you just need a vacuum advance unit, try the Samba's classifieds. There is also a guy there who rebuilds the Bosch distributors. Electronic ignition units, like pertronix, will "compensate" for worn bushings in the distributor, in the sense that they are not as sensitive to shaft wobble like points are.
+Quote Post
amcmackin
post Apr 10 2018, 11:12 AM
Post #4

I am aware of pertronix, I was under the impression that they didnt work with the fuel injection system. I am looking for something that will be a decent fix without getting raked for the new distributor cost.

As far as fuel goes, the injection system is in very good order.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Apr 10 2018, 11:19 AM
Post #5

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

Rather than just throwing parts at it, find out what really wrong and fix it. What is a "bad" dizzy? How is it bad? What part needs replacement - the trigger points or just the braided wire. The fix could cost you little or nothing or you can just throw lots of money at guessing and still not fix it. The real issue may not even be dizzy related un;less you verify that everything is in order. Supposedly your mechanic did that?
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Apr 10 2018, 11:59 AM
Post #6

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

I agree with jeff. What the heck is a bad distributor? Is this an experienced 914 mech? Doesn't sound like it.
+Quote Post
amcmackin
post Apr 10 2018, 12:34 PM
Post #7

It is reno rennsport. They are a specialty shop. I am not familiar with the distributor completely. I haven't been able to chat with them over it yet.

They are saying that the dist is walking timing. +/- 10 deg. they said they check the gear and it had a little bit of wobble in the block but nothing major.
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Apr 10 2018, 07:28 PM
Post #8

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Unless the springs have come off the weights under the trigger points, is no way distributor can swing that much.
+Quote Post
amcmackin
post Apr 12 2018, 03:48 PM
Post #9

So to get back to the original topic, If i have an 001 distributor in there, am i stuck with that type or can I go to say a 005 or 009?
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Apr 12 2018, 05:46 PM
Post #10

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Apr 10 2018, 09:28 PM) *

Unless the springs have come off the weights under the trigger points, is no way distributor can swing that much.

Hi Mark,

Just wondering if it's possible to install trigger points in a running complete motor without taking out the distributor??

Tom
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Apr 12 2018, 06:31 PM
Post #11

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Tom,
You should be able to change the FI points with out taking out distributor.
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Apr 12 2018, 06:56 PM
Post #12

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Apr 12 2018, 08:31 PM) *

Tom,
You should be able to change the FI points with out taking out distributor.

Thanks Mark
I took the winter cover off my 914 then with a fresh battery cranked it to start.
The engine makes a mini start up, then nothing. I suspect the trigger points are the issue. Never happened before after winter storage.
Tom
+Quote Post
amcmackin
post Apr 12 2018, 10:20 PM
Post #13

Hijacked....

ANyone for my last question?
+Quote Post
MarkV
post Apr 12 2018, 10:35 PM
Post #14

Fear the Jack Stands

Member No.: 154

QUOTE(amcmackin @ Apr 12 2018, 09:20 PM) *

Hijacked....

If your car is a 1.7 or a 2.0 with d-jet injection you cannot replace the distributor with an 009 or an 050. Your existing distributor has a second set of points in the bottom of the distributor that control the injection pulses. Without those pulses the injection will not work.

I seriously doubt that your timing is changing by 10 degrees. It is possible that your distributor is worn and the dwell angle is changing by 10 degrees.

You can install a Pertronix in the distributor and it will mostly solve your dwell issue as Pertronix eliminate adjustable dwell. Your timing will still fluctuate a little because of the worn distributor shaft. The only way to fix it is to re-bush/re-build it or replace it.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Apr 12 2018, 11:14 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(MarkV @ Apr 13 2018, 04:35 PM) *

QUOTE(amcmackin @ Apr 12 2018, 09:20 PM) *

Hijacked....

If your car is a 1.7 or a 2.0 with d-jet injection you cannot replace the distributor with an 009 or an 050. Your existing distributor has a second set of points in the bottom of the distributor that control the injection pulses. Without those pulses the injection will not work.

I seriously doubt that your timing is changing by 10 degrees. It is possible that your distributor is worn and the dwell angle is changing by 10 degrees.

You can install a Pertronix in the distributor and it will mostly solve your dwell issue as Pertronix eliminate adjustable dwell. Your timing will still fluctuate a little because of the worn distributor shaft. The only way to fix it is to re-bush/re-build it or replace it.

Get a new mechanic,really if he can't set the motor @ TDC on #1 pull the dizzy and check advance plate movement and general condition you don't need him,Pertronix will work fine even if its worn (as mentioned).
Never seen timing float 10 - + ever,hell we never stop learning however .... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:13 AM