Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 Radiator Mounting
Francesco
post Apr 10 2018, 03:35 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,864
Region Association: Southern California

Hey all,
Planning on a water pumper engine swap for my 914, and I see most of the radiator mounts involve cutting the hood or venting air outwards someway involving that. I already have the floor cut for factory A/C (not there any more and don't plan on keeping A/C with the engine swap), and I was curious if I could mount a radiator horizontal, and direct air out of the bottom of the car. I know this will cause lift, but I'm unsure how much it will cause at speed, and if it will actually be an issue? I'd like to maintain as much as my trunk as I possibly can, that's why mounting it 100% horizontally is appealing to me.
Thank you for your critisim,
Francesco
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Apr 10 2018, 03:49 PM
Post #2

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

Most car radiators are not designed to be run horizontally, you won't get the desired water flow and trapped air will be a major problem.

Look up "Renegade Hybrids", they have done water-cooled conversions since forever and their radiator setup simply works.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
A&P Mech
post Apr 10 2018, 05:52 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 16,371
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

rnellums (Ross) is running his ez30 powered 914 with the radiator laying flat and the air exits out the hole for the OEM air condition just like you stated. Give him a shout. He is a great guy. His build thread is here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=145922&hl=
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 10 2018, 06:09 PM
Post #4

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(A&P Mech @ Apr 10 2018, 07:52 PM) *

rnellums (Ross) is running his ez30 powered 914 with the radiator laying flat and the air exits out the hole for the OEM air condition just like you stated. Give him a shout. He is a great guy. His build thread is here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=145922&hl=

Same with okieflyer with his Honda conversion.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Apr 10 2018, 06:31 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 18,779
Region Association: None

You definitely could, you’d need some good fans as it’s gonna get worse air flow. If possible mount them so the pull air through instead of push so their more efficient. As for lift i cant attest to the amount of lift it may cause, you may consider and air dam for the front and/or a diffuser on the back to prevent/ evacuate some of the air under the car (only worry about this if you’re planning high speed not just freeway to 100mph)
+Quote Post
smonigold
post Apr 10 2018, 08:57 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 14,536

QUOTE(Francesco @ Apr 10 2018, 02:35 PM) *

Hey all,
Planning on a water pumper engine swap for my 914, and I see most of the radiator mounts involve cutting the hood or venting air outwards someway involving that. I already have the floor cut for factory A/C (not there any more and don't plan on keeping A/C with the engine swap), and I was curious if I could mount a radiator horizontal, and direct air out of the bottom of the car. I know this will cause lift, but I'm unsure how much it will cause at speed, and if it will actually be an issue? I'd like to maintain as much as my trunk as I possibly can, that's why mounting it 100% horizontally is appealing to me.
Francesco

I used a radiator and fans out of 924. Inlet is the 916 oil cooler hole" fiberglass front bumper" made ducting with aluminum and exited out hole in hood. Runs too cool going down highway never overheat even in Los Angeles traffic. But mine has a SR20DET in it. Not too keen on idea of cutting tub. And it only ways 1800 lbs so power to weight ratio is excellent.
+Quote Post
smonigold
post Apr 10 2018, 08:59 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 14,536

QUOTE(Francesco @ Apr 10 2018, 02:35 PM) *

Hey all,
Francesco

I used a radiator and fans out of 924. Inlet is the 916 oil cooler hole" fiberglass front bumper" made ducting with aluminum and exited out hole in hood. Runs too cool going down highway never overheat even in Los Angeles traffic. But mine has a SR20DET in it. Not too keen on idea of cutting tub. And it only weighs 1800 lbs so power to weight ratio is excellent.
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Apr 10 2018, 09:28 PM
Post #8

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

Mine exits out of the A/C hole in the floor. Good cooling, sometimes too much on the highway. I'll look for pics later.
Can't say if it lifts or not, all I know so far is the rear end floats at 120mph. I think part of that is airflow thru the engine compartment since it's not sealed anymore.
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Apr 10 2018, 09:34 PM
Post #9

Jackstands are my life.

QUOTE(smonigold @ Apr 10 2018, 07:59 PM) *

But mine has a SR20DET in it. Not too keen on idea of cutting tub. And it only weighs 1800 lbs so power to weight ratio is excellent.

Another Nissan (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) I've got the VQ30de, with a VQ35de "upgrade" in the garage.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Apr 10 2018, 09:45 PM
Post #10

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

I had this in my first 914. I took a Ford van radiator and had the shop mount 90 degree fitting of the water inlet/outlet. I had them ad a long tube for the cap that stuck up almost to the hood. This is the high point fill.

I built a platform at about the bumper top height and carpeted it. Air flowed in from the bumper, under the platform and through the radiator. I had a large single fan pointing down to pull air out.

Observations:
1) Worked great for cooling and allowed me to have a little front trunk space.
2) On a dirt road the fan would blow dust all over the place and into the car.
3) In traffic, the hot air blowing out from the bottom of the car would make its way into the windows and cabin if they were down.
4) This adds air under the front of the car which will make it more unstable as speed increases.
5) I would do this again if I could devise a duct that pulls the air out to the side of the car.
6) My front mounted Celica GTS radiator works much better than the flat radiator from the past.
+Quote Post
Francesco
post Apr 11 2018, 07:35 AM
Post #11

I'm glad I received more than a no. Now I have another curious question: About how hot is the air leaving the radiator? What if the air came IN from below and was routed towards the front calipers, would this be too hot to cool them? Maybe I'm over complicating this, it's just a curiosity at this point.
Thanks,
Francesco
+Quote Post
76-914
post Apr 11 2018, 08:32 AM
Post #12

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

You are over complicating it. You want to go water cooled so do it however you like. If you re-invent the wheel your on your on so plan on many hours of R&D. If you want a proven cooling system then adopt one of the methods used by the rest of us. For flat installation study Ross' install. For upright install you can follow any of the Subaru or Audi installs. All are detailed in one of two forums here. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Apr 11 2018, 09:16 AM
Post #13

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

First off we need to know how big of an engine your looking for. If its a v6 or 4cyl turbo you can run a Celica GTS radiator and have a VERY clean install. If its a v8 you might have cooling problems and need to go with something else.

For mounting, there are LOTS of threads. But your desired engine is critical to know.
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Apr 11 2018, 11:23 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 18,779

QUOTE(Francesco @ Apr 11 2018, 06:35 AM) *

I'm glad I received more than a no. Now I have another curious question: About how hot is the air leaving the radiator? What if the air came IN from below and was routed towards the front calipers, would this be too hot to cool them? Maybe I'm over complicating this, it's just a curiosity at this point.
Thanks,
Francesco

Definitely not an issue considering most people vent the air to the wheel well directly on the caliper. The air is hot as hell tho on 100 degree days! Makes my legs very hot when the trunk air blows on em (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Apr 11 2018, 01:15 PM
Post #15

Jackstands are my life.

Thanks,
Francesco

I measured this once a few years ago, it's little, like 30f over ambient. If you think about it, all front engine cars have the rad air blow on the engine and they are strictly cooled at 180-212f. Plus it doesn't blow directly on the brakes, it exits into the wheel house which is a high turbulence area.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Apr 11 2018, 02:17 PM
Post #16

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(tazz9924 @ Apr 11 2018, 12:23 PM) *

Thanks,
Francesco

Definitely not an issue considering most people vent the air to the wheel well directly on the caliper. The air is hot as hell tho on 100 degree days! Makes my legs very hot when the trunk air blows on em (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Hot for brake pads is 500F+ so 80F ambient vs. even 150F radiator exit/ambient mix doesn't really matter. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Francesco
post Apr 11 2018, 06:26 PM
Post #17

The motor will be a Subaru 4 cylinder motor, so I'm sure not nearly as big of a radiator will be required as a V8 would.
+Quote Post
A&P Mech
post Apr 11 2018, 09:01 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 16,371
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

The first subaru motor I installed in my 914 was a 2.5L four cylinder EJ253. To be honest it was okay. It was more power than the stock type 4 but the acceleration was still a bit uninspiring. I would routinely get spanked on the freeway on ramps by aggressive soccer moms in mini vans.

I had the opportunity to drive a 914 with a 3.0 subaru 6 cylinder installed and after that I couldn't replace the 2.5L installed in my car fast enough. I truly believe the ez30 subaru 6 cylinder is a perfect match for the 914. The balance feel of the car along with a respectable amount of torque makes it a total kick in the pants to drive. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Apr 12 2018, 07:25 AM
Post #19

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

QUOTE(A&P Mech @ Apr 11 2018, 08:01 PM) *

The first subaru motor I installed in my 914 was a 2.5L four cylinder EJ253. To be honest it was okay. It was more power than the stock type 4 but the acceleration was still a bit uninspiring. I would routinely get spanked on the freeway on ramps by aggressive soccer moms in mini vans.

I had the opportunity to drive a 914 with a 3.0 subaru 6 cylinder installed and after that I couldn't replace the 2.5L installed in my car fast enough. I truly believe the ez30 subaru 6 cylinder is a perfect match for the 914. The balance feel of the car along with a respectable amount of torque makes it a total kick in the pants to drive. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Must have been something wrong with your engine.. I raced a fellow member with my v8 conversion who had a bare bones 2.5, it was a surprisingly close race till about 70 when I pulled away. My car was making about 240 whp then.

However I agree that any of the Subaru 6s is a solid choice.

Either of these engines will do just fine with a Celia GTS radiator. There are 3 or 4 good writeups on it. I know myself and Mike Bells have one in our building threads.
+Quote Post
Francesco
post Apr 12 2018, 08:10 AM
Post #20

QUOTE(A&P Mech @ Apr 11 2018, 10:01 PM) *

Planning on a turbo EJ20 from Japan, with ~275 hp stock, should push 300 NO problem with a tune, I think I will get in more than enough trouble with that, lol.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:04 AM