Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Selling a car on Ebay, anybody done it?
914bub
post Apr 18 2018, 06:08 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,260
Region Association: None

I have a car I want to sell on ebay and wondered if anyone here has done it? I've been an ebay member since January 1999 and 95% of my activity is selling so I'm no stranger to listing stuff, I've just never auctioned a car before.

My question is how do you accept payment and not get burned. I get most of my payments through Paypal but what is to keep someone from "paying", picking up the car and then 45 days later disputing it through Paypal? At that point, they have the car and potentially the money.

I want to sell it on ebay as I think I'll get a little more for it and selling on craigslist seems so sketchy these days. The car I'm wanting to sell is a 1970's exact "splash" of a Meyers Manx with an aftermarket tube frame. Titled in my name for the last 30 years and through a California certificate of sequence, currently non-oped.

Any insight? TIA
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
stevend914
post Apr 18 2018, 06:15 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 20,670
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Require small deposit via PayPal (state non-refundable) with remainder of payment via money order, cash, certified check...and hold the title until payments are final.
+Quote Post
windforfun
post Apr 18 2018, 06:19 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 8,476

I bought my 914 on eBay. I had the seller send me the title before I made the final payment with a certified check. FYI. Good luck with the sale.
+Quote Post
injunmort
post Apr 18 2018, 06:22 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 11,604
Region Association: North East States

biggest problem with ebay is you have a riskless silent partner. car does not sell, still owe significant listing fee. car does sell, you owe significant listing fee and final value fee. paypal also takes their 4pts. in the end with a sale it works out to about 20% give or take. that cost should be part of your equation.
+Quote Post
914bub
post Apr 18 2018, 06:27 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(stevend914 @ Apr 18 2018, 04:15 PM) *

Require small deposit via PayPal (state non-refundable) with remainder of payment via money order, cash, certified check...and hold the title until payments are final.

Thanks for the fast reply. I've seen auctions that required a deposit that was non-refundable but does that hold up with Paypal? In other words, if I state in the auction that the deposit is non-refundable would paypal deny a claim based on that?
+Quote Post
914bub
post Apr 18 2018, 06:31 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(injunmort @ Apr 18 2018, 04:22 PM) *

biggest problem with ebay is you have a riskless silent partner. car does not sell, still owe significant listing fee. car does sell, you owe significant listing fee and final value fee. paypal also takes their 4pts. in the end with a sale it works out to about 20% give or take. that cost should be part of your equation.

Actually, they are telling me I can list up to six cars a year right now with no listing fees........... Promo! Trust me, I track what I'm paying and your right. For the smaller stuff, I'm losing 15-20% on ebay and Paypal. I know I'll take a hit on the final value.
+Quote Post
stevend914
post Apr 18 2018, 06:33 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 20,670

QUOTE(914bub @ Apr 18 2018, 07:27 PM) *

Thanks for the fast reply. I've seen auctions that required a deposit that was non-refundable but does that hold up with Paypal? In other words, if I state in the auction that the deposit is non-refundable would paypal deny a claim based on that?

That I don't know, I've sold two cars on ebay with no problems.
+Quote Post
914bub
post Apr 18 2018, 06:37 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(stevend914 @ Apr 18 2018, 04:33 PM) *

QUOTE(914bub @ Apr 18 2018, 07:27 PM) *

That I don't know, I've sold two cars on ebay with no problems.

So did you just state in the auction that it was non-refundable or is there and ebay or Paypal "setting" for that? Thanks again.

EDIT: I am going to fully disclose the issues with the car so as long as the buyer isn't a dirtbag it should be all legit
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 18 2018, 06:46 PM
Post #9

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I’ve done a couple ebay car sales. The listing fees are small. I take a Paypal deposit and then a wire or cash at pickup. I just did a $25k sale to a buyer in France. He wired money. Car and paperwork got picked up on Monday. The ebay fees were like $75.

But most of my sales are not ebay and buyer either wires money or shows up with cash. When I buy for myself I either send Paypal, bank check or pay cash in person. My purchases are usually $1-3k. My boss sends me with $25-50k cash, all the time, to buy cars. So far so good.

+Quote Post
Cracker
post Apr 18 2018, 06:50 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

I certainly would have never done that as a seller...

Ebay is different than decades past - I have bought and sold a few cars over that span of time and everything has always gone well. Ask for the funds to be either wire or certified check - do NOT send the title before receiving payment in full + clearing. Most transactions of any large nature end up completing outside the realm and reach of ebay - which is preferred.

T

QUOTE(windforfun @ Apr 18 2018, 08:19 PM) *

I bought my 914 on eBay. I had the seller send me the title before I made the final payment with a certified check. FYI. Good luck with the sale.

+Quote Post
mihai914
post Apr 18 2018, 06:57 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 3,697

I sold a car to a dealer in England. It was a buy it now with best offer type of auction.

He wired the whole amount and bank fees were $25.

As for eBay, they charged a flat selling fee of maybe $125. Listing fees were $2-3, you don't need to go all out on listing options.

Buyer arranged for shipping and I just had to drop the car off to a local transport company.

I think that being clear on selling terms helps a lot to have a smooth transaction.

Good luck with the sale.
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Apr 18 2018, 07:54 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,276

I've sold 100's of Porsches on eBay and have it down to a pretty tight strategy.
1. Be very honest in your description.
2. Take all 24 pictures, show the good and the bad.
3. Answer all questions, even the dumb ones.
4. Deposit by Paypal in 48 hours, full payment by bank wire in 7 days.

Deposits are non-refundable, though I've never had to enforce this.

Do not handle shipping, that is up to the buyer. This way if it gets damaged in shipping, it between him and his shipper, not you, him, and your shipper.

I do load the cars myself to make sure they are loaded properly, truckers can be rough.

Ebay fee's for cars are very fair, not like selling a part and paying a hefty final value fee.

Also, set your ebay requirements to anyone with more than 2 strikes for non-paying is blocked from bidding. This weeds out the deadbeats.

Good luck.
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Apr 18 2018, 09:21 PM
Post #13

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I’ve had good experiences with escrow.com. Great to have a bonded third party eliminate all doubt about funds for the transaction and the fees are really reasonable.
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Apr 18 2018, 09:37 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 12,732

Try bringatrailer.com. A friend here just sold an Aston Martin on BAT and had a very good experience. Just a forewarning- be prepared to spend an hour or more just looking through the various cars!!
+Quote Post
914bub
post Apr 20 2018, 10:13 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(SKL1 @ Apr 18 2018, 08:37 PM) *

Try bringatrailer.com. A friend here just sold an Aston Martin on BAT and had a very good experience. Just a forewarning- be prepared to spend an hour or more just looking through the various cars!!

I'm familiar with BAT and your right, I could spend days,.... or stay married! Thanks to everyone who gave advice. I'm going to sell it and update this thread once I do. Once I sell the cars I need to I will hopefully get back to the 914!
+Quote Post
dgraves
post Apr 21 2018, 09:53 AM
Post #16

1974 914 2.0

Member No.: 20,076
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(914bub @ Apr 20 2018, 10:13 PM) *

I'm familiar with BAT and your right, I could spend days,.... or stay married! Thanks to everyone who gave advice. I'm going to sell it and update this thread once I do. Once I sell the cars I need to I will hopefully get back to the 914!

I'd recommend joining the Porsche Club of America and listing the car in their online magazine. It's worth the nominal initiation fee. The buyers are standup people that know Porsches and they won't be scam artists. I have had two very good experiences selling Porsches this way.
Good luck,
Dan
+Quote Post
mlindner
post Apr 21 2018, 09:56 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 13,770

Same, PayPal down payment....then wired bank to bank transfer. Best, Mark
+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post Apr 21 2018, 11:30 AM
Post #18

J is for Genius

Member No.: 16,629
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(914bub @ Apr 18 2018, 08:31 PM) *

QUOTE(injunmort @ Apr 18 2018, 04:22 PM) *

Actually, they are telling me I can list up to six cars a year right now with no listing fees........... Promo! Trust me, I track what I'm paying and your right. For the smaller stuff, I'm losing 15-20% on ebay and Paypal. I know I'll take a hit on the final value.

Sorry but just about everything injunmort said is way wrong. I've sold several cars on eBay.
There is no final value fee for cars. If the car sells for under $2k it's a flat $60 fee. If it sells over $2k it's a flat $125 fee.
Do a $500 deposit with PayPal, and you pay the 3% PayPal fee on that, which comes to $15.
So for a car over $2k, you pay $140. That's all.

And if the car doesn't sell, there is NO FEE whatsoever.

The remainder of the transaction is handled outside of eBay (wire transfer, cash in person, etc).

Also, if you're a high volume seller, there's actually no listing fee at all. Just a $50 insertion fee regardless of what the car sells for. So if you're high volume on eBay, you'd pay even less.
+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post Apr 21 2018, 07:31 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 11,639
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I've sold a few cars on eBay, bought others, generally pretty smooth. Take deposit via PayPal then cash or certified funds. I have never sent a title prior to full payment.

When buying you can often find a forum member willing to check out the vehicle. My 914 came from Nevada. A member of the Amphicar forum, very Porsche knowledgeable, gave it a better inspection than I would have myself as he knew what to look for.

UShip has worked really well for me. Just be patient and wait for the right transporter at the right price.

+Quote Post
914bub
post Apr 23 2018, 12:38 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(dgraves @ Apr 21 2018, 08:53 AM) *

QUOTE(914bub @ Apr 20 2018, 10:13 PM) *

I'd recommend joining the Porsche Club of America and listing the car in their online magazine. It's worth the nominal initiation fee. The buyers are standup people that know Porsches and they won't be scam artists. I have had two very good experiences selling Porsches this way.
Good luck,
Dan

Dan. It's a fiberglass buggy so I think the PCA crowd would laugh at me! Otherwise, I think that is a great idea
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 08:06 AM