Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 Fixed Itself!, Sound from rear goes away
Midtowner
post Jun 7 2005, 10:42 PM
Post #1

Ooooo!

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,316
Region Association: None

My 1973 2.0 sat in my fathers garage for 16 years. With old Koni reds and 140 lb springs, I used to hear a hollow clunking sound from the right rear when driving on mildly bumpy roads. I checked the shock top and bottom. Checked every component under the rear of the car. Checked the battery hold down. I even checked the brackets for the rear trunk lid. Found nothing needing attention. Now I'm beginning to believe it was cold weather affecting the shock in some way. Am I hallucinating? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/blink.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
smooth_eddy
post Jun 7 2005, 10:44 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 3,102

Maybe the 16 years of rust has fused things together (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/welder.gif)
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Jun 8 2005, 05:16 AM
Post #3

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

we have a saying in engineering:
"problems that go away on their, come back on their own..."

i would inspect the forward trailing arm pivots v-e-r-y carefully.
it could be that whataver was happening has progressed to the point that it's no longer making its warning sound. could be that it was an issue with the cold acting on the elastomer insert.

could be you finally fastened down the jack :-)

but nothing good has ever been reported from rear suspension failure, and issues at the suspension console are a primary (but not only) cause of clunking. check it out.
+Quote Post
Midtowner
post Jun 8 2005, 11:07 AM
Post #4

Ooooo!

Member No.: 3,316

Thanks for the advice. I'll check the pivots again. Perhaps I should upgrade to roller bearings. I'll report back with photos. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Jun 8 2005, 11:35 AM
Post #5

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

rear wheel bearing? they can make a LOT of noise... dunno if it would be called a clunk though...

cars don't fix themselves, if they did, mine would be sick of having a jackstand up it's ass for a year and would have taken care of itself...
+Quote Post
John
post Jun 8 2005, 12:22 PM
Post #6

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615

I once had an issue with a spring and rear shock that for whatever reason did not seat correctly and would occasionally make an unusual clunking sound. I think the spring was binding on one of the perches and when the conditions were just right, it would relieve the tension by clunking.

I changed rear shocks/springs and it solved the clunking noise issue.

Perhaps your spring and perch did rust together. (In which case the noise will return with use)

I agree that you should check your rear suspension carrefully to make sure nothing is wrong.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 07:59 AM