Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

12 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> So Cal Transmission Clinic May 26, OFFICIAL thread
Tdskip
post May 5 2018, 01:22 PM
Post #101

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,666
Region Association: None

QUOTE(yeahmag @ May 3 2018, 12:20 PM) *

I just wrote SMC a thank you letter and let them know we will be having the event at another location. They hadn't declined yet, but reportedly were having trouble getting volunteers for the event on a holiday weekend. They were very open and truly excited about supporting us and building a relationship. I hope we can do something with them in the future.

Absolutely - have a couple other group tech day ideas after a successful way with the Evil Doctor.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ValcoOscar
post May 5 2018, 01:54 PM
Post #102

Garage Life

Member No.: 16,669
Region Association: Southern California

Oh..oh

I received an invite for a memorial day gathering for the same day as clinic.

I said I couldn't make it because I had a Dr appt. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

I didn't lie...
+Quote Post
Steve
post May 5 2018, 04:54 PM
Post #103

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

So is this one day or two days and which day?
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post May 5 2018, 10:56 PM
Post #104

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Steve @ May 5 2018, 06:54 PM) *

So is this one day or two days and which day?

Gonne do it all on Sat per request of the participants. Totally doable.
+Quote Post
iankarr
post May 5 2018, 10:57 PM
Post #105

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

So glad to see this clinic fill up. You guys will have a blast. Everyone at the Virginia clinic finished in one day. About 12 hours, but time flies when you’re turning wrenches, sniffing acetone and breaking balls.

+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post May 5 2018, 11:01 PM
Post #106

If you are desiring a new 1/R slider, and/or bearings, please let me know. I already had a 10 pack of bearings sent to my friends house in SD to meet me there. I am planning to get another 4 (one person I know said he did not need/want them). Sliders, I only recall that two definitely wanted them, and I annotated such in 1st post. I will update with what yall post in reply.

Some fun times with parts....914 seal kits are out of stock in the whole US. Pelican lists the genuine Porsche for $101 (regular about $40), but those also need to be ordered from Germany. Fortunately, the 1970 911 set is almost the same. I have a friend working on it and will be making them work. I went through all the kit parts, verified part numbers and dimensions, and will order seals that are different or not included. Not sure on price, but should be <$65. I do have 5 seal kits for 914, and several for early 911/912 so those guys are in good shape. Stay tuned.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post May 5 2018, 11:02 PM
Post #107

Also, with our last addition of 914sgofast2, we are full. Cutting it off at 15.
+Quote Post
garrettlee2
post May 5 2018, 11:47 PM
Post #108

Member No.: 14,901

Can I get on stand by?
+Quote Post
Boomingbeetle
post May 6 2018, 08:47 AM
Post #109

Member No.: 20,556

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 5 2018, 10:01 PM) *

Some fun times with parts....914 seal kits are out of stock in the whole US. Pelican lists the genuine Porsche for $101 (regular about $40), but those also need to be ordered from Germany. Fortunately, the 1970 911 set is almost the same. I have a friend working on it and will be making them work. I went through all the kit parts, verified part numbers and dimensions, and will order seals that are different or not included. Not sure on price, but should be <$65. I do have 5 seal kits for 914, and several for early 911/912 so those guys are in good shape. Stay tuned.

I have no experience with Vertrex Auto, but they show seal kits in stock:

https://www.vertexauto.com/manual-transmiss...set-c-2169.aspx

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post May 6 2018, 12:02 PM
Post #110

QUOTE(Boomingbeetle @ May 6 2018, 10:47 AM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 5 2018, 10:01 PM) *

I have no experience with Vertrex Auto, but they show seal kits in stock:

https://www.vertexauto.com/manual-transmiss...set-c-2169.aspx

Attached Image

They all do. They also all get them from the same few suppliers. I even bought some on eBay and the order was cancelled a few days later because they couldn’t get any. No worries
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post May 6 2018, 12:03 PM
Post #111

QUOTE(garrettlee2 @ May 6 2018, 01:47 AM) *

Can I get on stand by?

Man, I’m not sure how to could be accomplished. If we have an easy up we can have shade and someone can work in the driveway just outside of the garage. We have done that before.
+Quote Post
yeahmag
post May 6 2018, 12:51 PM
Post #112

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,946

I have a piece of shit shad tent I can donate to this.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post May 6 2018, 02:12 PM
Post #113

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 25 2018, 10:32 AM) *

Updated 5/2/18 after talking with 914 ZR-1. Things are a go and looking great! Read below, some stuff has changed.

When:
The current plan is to do Sat and Sun, 9 am to whenever. I can likely finish in one day if you are motivated, probably about 10pm.

May 26-27 at the Santa Clarita, near Magic Mountain. I am limiting class size to 13-15 participants. We will have a 3 car garage bay (plenty, trust me), can work on food, take out, what ever.

Cost to participate:
$300/builder. Builders 18 and under are free. Only one transmission per builder. Spectators are free, and yes you can take notes, pics, and ask questions. Cost includes new stainless hardware for your build, rags, acetone or break cleaner for cleaning, gloves (I'll need sizes to get right qty), cleaning trays.

Parts:
To help cover the cost of the time off from my day job, travel, lodging, etc, I encourage you to buy parts from me whenever possible. I will have a stock of good used parts on hand, will show you how to determine when a part is not serviceable, and will show you have to save some $$ on a rebuild since you are doing the work yourself. I have moved away from using used bearings as I have lost confidence in them over the last few years. More are failing, and I never want one that I recommend to end up like that. As such, I have managed to secure all of the main input shaft and pinion bearings (4 total) for a deep discount (Retail currently about $1100). I will need orders and payment as promptly as possible to secure a set in the order I will have to make for this event. Contact me to get that ball rolling. I do not expect to have bearings available at the event other than those pre purchased. Also, discount only applies to students of the clinic, and for those whom I do rebuilds for (aka, I don't retail to the public). I will also have access to 1/R sliders (for you 5 speed boxes) for $300 (retail about $500).

Tools:
All special tools will be provided at the clinic. You will need nothing special: 19mm socket, 13mm socket, small hammer, small sledge. Tools to have if you have them handy would be some drifts/punches, deep 30mm socket, breaker bar, 32mm boxed end wrench, MAP or propane torch, seal drivers, wire brushes, cordless impact drivers, work bench/table (cheap plastic folding ones from Walmart and similar work just fine and accommodate up to 3 builders, but we have many 914 folks bringing tables as well), rags, break cleaner and or acetone. If you are willing to share your tools, that would be great and save me shipping heavy metal items that are rather common in most of our tool collections.

Prep:
Clean your case the best you can. You will be happier for it, our host will as well. Do not pressure wash it. You will get water in, it will cause rust. Bet me. Don't sand blast it...worse than water. DO NOT take it completely apart as you will lose the setting for the ring and pinion and that will mean I will need to reset that stuff and that is not happening at the clinic. Setting r/p takes expensive tools, and lots of time and parts that are not conducive to a clinic setting. This is something I do at my home shop on customer rebuilds. DO, please, take off the side cover and inspect your ring and pinion. If these are roached, you will not be able to build this transmission at the clinic because changing the r/p requires the aforementioned special tools and time. If you are unsure of your pinion, take a pic and post it up for evaluation and so we can all learn something. Other than popping off the side cover and inspecting the r/p, and cleaning some of the schmutz off of the case, please be sure to drain it. Although, when you check the r/p you will drain it one way or another. Not expecting disposal facilities for oils on site.

OK, I think that is everything, but if I get more questions I will update this post to answer it for everyone. I will also start an attendance roster in this post to keep things up to date.

Looking forward to this!

Check out my sig below for links to past clinics, or google search 914world to find even more threads.

Attendance list 5/3/18:

BoomingBeetle - 1/rsl, bearings, seals - deposit received
ValcoOscar
yeahmaq - April will build it since he wont be able to stay :(IMG:style_emoticons/default/mrs.K.gif):
Tdskip
mtndawg
914 RZ-1 - bearings, 1/rsl
forrestkhaag
John90290
Kevinhunter
Gothspeed
Steve Maas (912bbs)
Don-6
Daniel Albarran (912bbs)
kahluvr- 1/r, bearings, seals

+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post May 6 2018, 02:13 PM
Post #114

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 6 2018, 04:12 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 25 2018, 10:32 AM) *

Updated 5/2/18 after talking with 914 ZR-1. Things are a go and looking great! Read below, some stuff has changed.

When:
The current plan is to do Sat and Sun, 9 am to whenever. I can likely finish in one day if you are motivated, probably about 10pm.

May 26-27 at the Santa Clarita, near Magic Mountain. I am limiting class size to 13-15 participants. We will have a 3 car garage bay (plenty, trust me), can work on food, take out, what ever.

Cost to participate:
$300/builder. Builders 18 and under are free. Only one transmission per builder. Spectators are free, and yes you can take notes, pics, and ask questions. Cost includes new stainless hardware for your build, rags, acetone or break cleaner for cleaning, gloves (I'll need sizes to get right qty), cleaning trays.

Parts:
To help cover the cost of the time off from my day job, travel, lodging, etc, I encourage you to buy parts from me whenever possible. I will have a stock of good used parts on hand, will show you how to determine when a part is not serviceable, and will show you have to save some $$ on a rebuild since you are doing the work yourself. I have moved away from using used bearings as I have lost confidence in them over the last few years. More are failing, and I never want one that I recommend to end up like that. As such, I have managed to secure all of the main input shaft and pinion bearings (4 total) for a deep discount (Retail currently about $1100). I will need orders and payment as promptly as possible to secure a set in the order I will have to make for this event. Contact me to get that ball rolling. I do not expect to have bearings available at the event other than those pre purchased. Also, discount only applies to students of the clinic, and for those whom I do rebuilds for (aka, I don't retail to the public). I will also have access to 1/R sliders (for you 5 speed boxes) for $300 (retail about $500).

Tools:
All special tools will be provided at the clinic. You will need nothing special: 19mm socket, 13mm socket, small hammer, small sledge. Tools to have if you have them handy would be some drifts/punches, deep 30mm socket, breaker bar, 32mm boxed end wrench, MAP or propane torch, seal drivers, wire brushes, cordless impact drivers, work bench/table (cheap plastic folding ones from Walmart and similar work just fine and accommodate up to 3 builders, but we have many 914 folks bringing tables as well), rags, break cleaner and or acetone. If you are willing to share your tools, that would be great and save me shipping heavy metal items that are rather common in most of our tool collections.

Prep:
Clean your case the best you can. You will be happier for it, our host will as well. Do not pressure wash it. You will get water in, it will cause rust. Bet me. Don't sand blast it...worse than water. DO NOT take it completely apart as you will lose the setting for the ring and pinion and that will mean I will need to reset that stuff and that is not happening at the clinic. Setting r/p takes expensive tools, and lots of time and parts that are not conducive to a clinic setting. This is something I do at my home shop on customer rebuilds. DO, please, take off the side cover and inspect your ring and pinion. If these are roached, you will not be able to build this transmission at the clinic because changing the r/p requires the aforementioned special tools and time. If you are unsure of your pinion, take a pic and post it up for evaluation and so we can all learn something. Other than popping off the side cover and inspecting the r/p, and cleaning some of the schmutz off of the case, please be sure to drain it. Although, when you check the r/p you will drain it one way or another. Not expecting disposal facilities for oils on site.

OK, I think that is everything, but if I get more questions I will update this post to answer it for everyone. I will also start an attendance roster in this post to keep things up to date.

Looking forward to this!

Check out my sig below for links to past clinics, or google search 914world to find even more threads.

Attendance list 5/3/18:

BoomingBeetle - 1/rsl, bearings, seals - deposit received
ValcoOscar
yeahmaq - April will build it since he wont be able to stay :(IMG:style_emoticons/default/mrs.K.gif):
Tdskip
mtndawg
914 RZ-1 - bearings, 1/rsl
forrestkhaag
John90290
Kevinhunter
Gothspeed
Steve Maas (912bbs)
Don-6
Daniel Albarran (912bbs)
kahluvr- 1/r, bearings, seals

Oops, trying to update on phone
+Quote Post
garrettlee2
post May 6 2018, 10:37 PM
Post #115

Member No.: 14,901

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 6 2018, 11:03 AM) *

Can I get on stand by?

Man, I’m not sure how to could be accomplished. If we have an easy up we can have shade and someone can work in the driveway just outside of the garage. We have done that before.

If you would be willing I can birng my own table and tent I just started reading this thread and would love to take part. plus I can bring an extra transmission for parts.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post May 7 2018, 07:17 AM
Post #116

QUOTE(garrettlee2 @ May 7 2018, 12:37 AM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 6 2018, 11:03 AM) *

Can I get on stand by?

If you would be willing I can birng my own table and tent I just started reading this thread and would love to take part. plus I can bring an extra transmission for parts.

Ill see what we can swing. An extra transmission helps you, but is not much use to me as I sell the parts from boxes I have parted in order to cover the cost of taking off work, travel, etc to put on the class (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) Wrote a very large check for bearings, just added 5 more for a total of 15 sets. I am not certain if I can get all the needed parts and have the room in the limited time before the clinic. Ill look into it.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post May 7 2018, 12:53 PM
Post #117

OK, just got confirmation on seal kits. Not much more than the 914 set. Ill have final prices in a while.

garrettlee2 has been contacted, and I think my count was off as he would be #15. See if your name is missing and you were supposed to attend.

Yes, a pop up would be useful no matter what.

Thanks for being typical, great, a/c Porsche guys! Looking forward to this.
+Quote Post
914 RZ-1
post May 7 2018, 05:20 PM
Post #118

Porsche Padawan

Member No.: 18,230

Did anyone ever get ahold of the two 912 guys?
+Quote Post
jcd914
post May 7 2018, 09:35 PM
Post #119

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684
Region Association: Northern California

I stopped by my friend's shop to get a tail housing gasket for my 914 transmission and I told him that trans gasket sets were in short supply.

Anyway, he checked stock at Worldpac and they are out of stock.
But IMC shows stock at multiple warehouses, so maybe some of the vendors that show stock get them from IMC.

He has 3 gasket sets on the shelf and couple folders with loose gaskets left over from sets, so I dug through the leftovers and found a tail housing gasket. I'm only swapping one tail housing for another.

Jim
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post May 8 2018, 10:23 AM
Post #120

QUOTE(jcd914 @ May 7 2018, 11:35 PM) *

I stopped by my friend's shop to get a tail housing gasket for my 914 transmission and I told him that trans gasket sets were in short supply.

Anyway, he checked stock at Worldpac and they are out of stock.
But IMC shows stock at multiple warehouses, so maybe some of the vendors that show stock get them from IMC.

He has 3 gasket sets on the shelf and couple folders with loose gaskets left over from sets, so I dug through the leftovers and found a tail housing gasket. I'm only swapping one tail housing for another.

Jim

They list stock, when you call it is wrong.

Got the gaskets covered. They will be here this week, then I ship to my friend in SD to be with the bearings. I ordered enough 1/R sliders to cover stated demand, as well as bearing sets. Should all be golden.
+Quote Post

12 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 04:59 AM