Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Alternator or no alternator
AnthonyM
post Apr 25 2018, 07:22 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,243
Region Association: North East States

I just got my engine back from my engine builder and I'm getting closer to installing it. I've also been talking to the previous owner about how he raced the car and he said that he never ran an alternator and never had any issues. The car has raced SCCA F & E Production since new. I plan to run SCCA and maybe Vintage or PCA. Is this still common or should I install an alternator?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Apr 26 2018, 08:36 AM
Post #2

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

QUOTE(AnthonyM @ Apr 25 2018, 09:22 PM) *

I just got my engine back from my engine builder and I'm getting closer to installing it. I've also been talking to the previous owner about how he raced the car and he said that he never ran an alternator and never had any issues. The car has raced SCCA F & E Production since new. I plan to run SCCA and maybe Vintage or PCA. Is this still common or should I install an alternator?

I've never run an alternator in my FP car. Battery needs to be charged between each session. I use a big lead acid battery for ballast in the passenger compartment and replace it every couple years after all the deep cycling.
From a weight perspective, using an alternator and an Oddysey battery would be about the same as no alternator and a full size battery.
So the only benefit to no alternator is freeing up a small amount of engine power.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
AnthonyM
post Apr 26 2018, 07:32 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 15,243
Region Association: North East States

Thanks Chris. I'll probably continue to run without an alternator since I'm probably need all the power I can get running a 1.8 in F-Prod.
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Apr 27 2018, 12:03 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Apr 26 2018, 10:36 AM) *

So the only benefit to no alternator is freeing up a small amount of engine power.

And being able to place the ballast where you want, as you pointed out Chris. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:50 PM