Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Another 2056 rebuild thread, It's Alive!
nditiz1
post Apr 30 2018, 04:51 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,763
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

So I decided to start this reBuild thread to keep track of everything as well elicit help and possible things to watch out for. I haven't owned my Porsche a year and I have already killed the motor and taken it apart (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif). If you are unfamiliar I was in the process of upgrading my distributor and out of sheer luck dropped a valve on #2 which I eventually found out it started its life as #3. The 2056 was rebuilt by the PO before the PO I bought it from. With the help from you all and some nice vids/write ups I confidentially dropped the motor (much easier with dual carbs). I purchased a 4 bar 914 stand from a place that manufactures all types of engine stand mounts. I broke down the motor to the short block where I found no other damage except the broken valve. Piston #2 was slightly injured, but I felt as new P&C was the best approach. Mark (McMark) has been a huge help through the process, thanks Mark! Since I didn't build this motor nor have any specs really on what was inside I decided to check it was a 2056. The bore measure 96, the stroke measure 71. I was told it has a mild cam. No markings could be found on the front of the cam gear. I did some prelim measurements of lift and found it is not stock and that the intake and exhaust have different lifts.

With the motor down to the short block it was time to buy some parts. I bought new P&C's from AA pistons. They are the 96mm flat top ones with a valve relief. I ordered new 2.0 heads (AA piston HAM heads) from Len. I bought the type4store spacer kit, thorsten 10mm swivel feet adjusters, and had everything machined by a guy on the samba that lives in CA.

I replaced the RMS with a Sabo one and checked the endplay to be in spec. The parts needed for this was the Sabo RMS, felt washer, flywheel bearing, inner flywheel seal, and a 5 hole crush washer. I wasted one crush washer as I did not put any lubricant on the flywheel seal nor the RMS. Following the pelican article it states to make the flywheel bearing flush, but this leaves little to no room for the felt washer and actually made the washer deflect slightly when torqued. It is now set to the 3mm protrusion which is the thickness of the felt washer. The flywheel is still currently off. I asked about my clutch and pressure plate and they look new so I won't be replacing them. The engine seal rebuild kit I bought is the Victor Reinz one. It only comes with the crush washer so be sure you get the other parts if you do this job. Back to the rebuild kit it would be really nice if it came with a guide for what every seal/gasket was and where they fit.

The rebuild:

Replaced both the taco plate, oil filter, and oil plate.
Test fit the P&C.

I removed all 4 pistons from their cylinders to just check the rings. They all looked good to me, but with nothing to really compare them I'm really just guessing. I did not check the ring gap. Not sure what it is supposed to be. I rigged a setup with a dial gauge, type 1 deck height plate, 2 aluminum bars, and a micrometer. I used the dial gauge to get the exact top of the piston stroke. I checked through several revolutions. Before doing this I removed the distributor drive gear as Mark (914sixer) showed if yours is not 100% in the correct position you can torch the copper gear on the crank. Once I had achieved the top of the stroke I micro'd the depth and subtracted from the thickness of the deck height plate. I came up with 1.4mm for all 4 pistons. Unfortunately, with the cc of the heads and the valve relief it was putting me at a 8.1 C/R. This is leaving power on the table and I know with the valve relief in the pistons I can get a pretty shallow DH. I decided to take the jugs to a machine shop to have them mill .5mm (originally .4mm) off the bottom of the step. I will be running no gasket at the top nor the bottom of the jug. With a .9mm DH it will put me right at 8.5 C/R as the heads are 60cc and the relief is 2cc. This motor had been running at 8.1 (possibly, don't know the cc of the stock heads) which is probably why it didn't feel as powerful as I thought it should and as others commented on my old post the heads were leaking between them and the top of the cylinder.

So that is where everything stands right now. I hope to get the jugs back later this week as well as the blocks, rockers, and adjusters. Mark (914sixer), Brent (bbrock) and I are building similar motors.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm1.staticflickr.com-18763-1525128671.1.jpg)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
nditiz1   Another 2056 rebuild thread   Apr 30 2018, 04:51 PM
McMark   Looking good! :thumbsup:   May 1 2018, 06:01 AM
bbrock   Awesome! Thanks for starting this thread. I...   May 1 2018, 07:44 AM
nditiz1   No problem bbrock. Yeah I needed to keep track of...   May 1 2018, 08:37 AM
bbrock   Thanks for that break down. This adjuster/spacer/...   May 1 2018, 10:13 AM
nditiz1   Thanks for that break down. This adjuster/spacer...   May 1 2018, 11:33 AM
bbrock   Much appreciated, that helps a lot! :beer2: ...   May 1 2018, 12:34 PM
McMark   This is the first I've heard of using a set s...   May 1 2018, 03:46 PM
nditiz1   Good point Mark. I was thinking the same thing. I...   May 1 2018, 07:46 PM
Bulldog9   I think the set screws on the spacers is a little ...   May 1 2018, 08:11 PM
nditiz1   All points taken. I will leave them out. I was a...   May 2 2018, 05:25 AM
Vacca Rabite   With that deck height, did anyone measure to make ...   May 2 2018, 12:19 PM
nditiz1   Thanks Zack. I did not measure to see if there is...   May 2 2018, 01:04 PM
HAM Inc   Nick that looks good, but before you install the h...   May 2 2018, 01:23 PM
nditiz1   Good looking out Len! I just checked the top ...   May 2 2018, 01:55 PM
nditiz1   First crack at adding the spacers and shims. The ...   May 5 2018, 10:32 AM
nditiz1   Got one side of the engine bolted up with the new ...   May 6 2018, 09:38 PM
bbrock   :popcorn:   May 6 2018, 10:17 PM
McMark   Here's the caliper I use: https://www.harborfr...   May 7 2018, 10:57 AM
nditiz1   Here's the caliper I use: [url=https://www.ha...   May 7 2018, 01:15 PM
bbrock   Okie dokie, I'm going to ask another dumb ques...   May 7 2018, 03:01 PM
Geezer914   I don't see how this would work using swivel f...   May 7 2018, 05:42 PM
McMark   You can do it that way. Different approaches to ...   May 8 2018, 04:32 AM
nditiz1   Made some more progress tonight. Messed around wi...   May 8 2018, 09:53 PM
Valy   Your pushrods are fine.   May 8 2018, 10:03 PM
Valy   BTW, looking at the picture where you measure the ...   May 8 2018, 10:12 PM
nditiz1   Thanks Valy. I keep changing that :D I either b...   May 9 2018, 05:19 AM
nditiz1   Ok so I used the stock adjusters and just wanted t...   May 9 2018, 09:28 AM
Vacca Rabite   I think that you are over-thinking it. Unless you...   May 9 2018, 09:41 AM
nditiz1   I think that you are over-thinking it. Unless yo...   May 9 2018, 09:51 AM
McMark   Looks good in pictures. The intake is better than...   May 9 2018, 04:25 PM
nditiz1   Just a minor update - Installed the other head (1...   May 21 2018, 07:07 AM
nditiz1   OK! haven't made any posts lately, but hav...   Jun 24 2018, 05:18 PM
saigon71   Congrats on getting her fired up. :beer2:   Jun 25 2018, 05:24 AM
McMark   That's a milestone! Nice job. :notworthy...   Jun 25 2018, 05:51 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 06:52 AM