Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Steering shaft boot/bushing and/or adjustment question, ...need some advice/direction
Mikey914
post May 10 2018, 09:58 PM
Post #21

The rubber man

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

Ran the tracking, they still say today. But I called and sounds like they may deliver Sat. I’ll follow up.
Mark
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
naro914
post May 11 2018, 05:04 AM
Post #22

Losing my mind...

Member No.: 6,073
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 10 2018, 11:58 PM) *

Ran the tracking, they still say today. But I called and sounds like they may deliver Sat. I’ll follow up.
Mark

Saturday? Not good. That’s a business address it’s going to and nobody will be there to receive it. I was hoping to install it tonight (Friday) because that’s the only time I have help available.
Car needs to be done and off the lift because I have another one to put up there and work on this weekend....

EDIT: just looked at it this morning. It SAYS its in Charlotte, so maybe deliver today...fingers crossed!
+Quote Post
naro914
post May 11 2018, 05:13 AM
Post #23

Losing my mind...

QUOTE(cuddy_k @ May 10 2018, 11:34 PM) *

The condition of that bearing may be related to why you couldn't pull the rack out without loosening everything. I wonder if anyone here can offer advice on how to measure the placement of the rack/aux support and determine if the prior front end damage knocked things out of whack.

The problem with getting it out has nothing to do with the bearing or shaft, there’s just no way to get the actual rack past the aux support and master cylinder without taking it all apart. The shaft was separated from the UJoint fine, and the bearing/rubber bushing just slid down the shaft. Just couldn’t get the rack and tie rods (and bellows) past the master cylinder (mine is a big 21mm the pushes up against the cross member) and the brackets on the aux support. No other way of getting things past than dropping everything down. Even then, it was a really tight squeeze getting by the master cylinder.

But...its out. and with another person helping, I think we can pull everything away enough to squeeze it back in. Was hard to hold the support out of the way while trying to maneuver the rack past everything by myself.
+Quote Post
naro914
post May 11 2018, 01:10 PM
Post #24

Losing my mind...

QUOTE(naro914 @ May 11 2018, 07:04 AM) *

Mark

Saturday? Not good. That’s a business address it’s going to and nobody will be there to receive it. I was hoping to install it tonight (Friday) because that’s the only time I have help available.
Car needs to be done and off the lift because I have another one to put up there and work on this weekend....

EDIT: just looked at it this morning. It SAYS its in Charlotte, so maybe deliver today...fingers crossed!

Just got an update....Saturday delivery. Not good... I won’t see it until next week and now no way to get it all installed before the hilllcimb next weekend. Damn...
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post May 13 2018, 10:39 AM
Post #25

The rubber man

QUOTE(naro914 @ May 11 2018, 12:10 PM) *

Mark

Just got an update....Saturday delivery. Not good... I won’t see it until next week and now no way to get it all installed before the hilllcimb next weekend. Damn...

Bob I'll drop you a call but it shows delivers yesterday at about noon. Signed for by "K Daniels" 12:04 which is after this post.

-Mark
+Quote Post
naro914
post May 13 2018, 11:30 AM
Post #26

Losing my mind...

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 13 2018, 12:39 PM) *

QUOTE(naro914 @ May 11 2018, 12:10 PM) *

Mark

Bob I'll drop you a call but it shows delivers yesterday at about noon. Signed for by "K Daniels" 12:04 which is after this post.

-Mark

Thanks Mark. Got it! Had to make sure someone could be there to receive it. Gotta Love delivery companies just changing delivery dates...really put a delay in our projects. Have to finish up Huey with just me and Nadine today (hopefully) and get another car on the lift for a buddy to do a bunch of work on. No clue when that will get done now. We leave Thursday for the hillclimb and won’t be home for the next 3 weekends...

Parts are awesome btw! Thanks!!
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post May 13 2018, 12:31 PM
Post #27

The rubber man

Thanks Bob I'm glad to hear that that worked out. I was really concerned when I saw the timing of the post versus when it was received. Let me know if there's anything else I can do thanks Mark
+Quote Post
trojanhorsepower
post Nov 20 2018, 08:12 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 1,179

I don't want to steer this thread off topic, but in a related question Bob; when you took the bracket that holds the steering shaft support bearing off, were there washers under the allen head bolts?

Thanks
+Quote Post
naro914
post Nov 20 2018, 09:22 PM
Post #29

Losing my mind...

QUOTE(trojanhorsepower @ Nov 20 2018, 10:12 PM) *

I don't want to steer this thread off topic, but in a related question Bob; when you took the bracket that holds the steering shaft support bearing off, were there washers under the allen head bolts?

Thanks

Sorry...To be honest I don’t remember....that was months ago.
+Quote Post
trojanhorsepower
post Nov 20 2018, 09:26 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 1,179

Bummer.
+Quote Post
naro914
post Nov 20 2018, 09:36 PM
Post #31

Losing my mind...

Regardless...since this car was so put together with spare parts and whatever we could cobble together, if it did or didn’t doesn’t mean anything. I’m guessing you’re trying to get it right? Then whatever you do..DONT follow what is on my cars!! Lol
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Nov 21 2018, 01:14 AM
Post #32

The rubber man

Bob,
I got to looking closely at your 1st picture and noticed something is off here.

The bearing should sit on the polished surface, but If I recall correctly the flange that holds the hearing goes across the 2 protrusions (for lack of a better term) off the bulkhead. It appears that your shaft not aligned with the bracket that holds the rubber that holds the bearing.

I suspect you need one of the 2 shafts that I have come across here. One is longer (from the yoke on the puck to the bearing surface I'm referring to), I think you need the shorter.

Drop Scott a call in the office and we can measure the short one we have. Happy to drop out to you if it helps

-Mark

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
naro914
post Nov 21 2018, 07:12 AM
Post #33

Losing my mind...

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 21 2018, 03:14 AM) *

Bob,
I got to looking closely at your 1st picture and noticed something is off here.

The bearing should sit on the polished surface, but If I recall correctly the flange that holds the hearing goes across the 2 protrusions (for lack of a better term) off the bulkhead. It appears that your shaft not aligned with the bracket that holds the rubber that holds the bearing.

I suspect you need one of the 2 shafts that I have come across here. One is longer (from the yoke on the puck to the bearing surface I'm referring to), I think you need the shorter.

Drop Scott a call in the office and we can measure the short one we have. Happy to drop out to you if it helps

-Mark

Hey Mark
You are 100% correct, it is not aligned properly. But the problem was not with the shaft, it was with the bump steer spacers we made and put in to raise the rack - they were way too big and was forcing the shaft up too high, hence making the polished part off center.
This was all done back in May. I reduced the size of the spacer (by half!) and it centered out perfectly...with your new bearing and bushing. It also allowed the shaft to center in the bulkhead hole, which is wasn't doing before. The car has steered much better since then - less stress on the shaft pushing against the bushings.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Nov 21 2018, 11:06 AM
Post #34

The rubber man

Great,
I was actually scared to see that when I realized the shaft was only partially supported. Kind of makes you wonder what others have done, and how many other cars may be out there like this with unsuspecting owners?
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 02:00 AM