Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> charcoal canister refurbish diy video, so that's what it looks like in there...
914-300Hemi
post May 11 2018, 11:48 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,794
Region Association: Southern California

Great video. Would it matter if the car is carb’d on a 4?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bbrock
post May 11 2018, 05:40 PM
Post #22

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(914-300Hemi @ May 11 2018, 11:48 AM) *

Great video. Would it matter if the car is carb’d on a 4?

Would work the same as long as the downstream end is dumped into an air cleaner like the original setup. As was said earlier, some hydrocarbons surely escape from the charcoal and the charcoal probably doesn't adsorb 100% of what goes through it, so the effluent out of the canister is going to have some residual that should be burned.

I've also read about re-activating carbon by heating it which supposedly re-fractures it to create new surface area but that seems like wasted effort. i like the fire starter idea. It's tempting to try at the risk of losing one's eyebrows.
+Quote Post
mxkinn01
post May 19 2018, 02:04 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 21,195
Region Association: Southwest Region

Thanks for the great video. This was one of the easiest fixes I've done so far, hardest part was unbolting the canister. The new charcoal pellets are about 3 times the size of the original ones, took two of three bags to refill. I left the old pellets outside 3 days ago and they still wreak of gas fumes (I think they were past their limit). So far so good on no gas smell in the cabin.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
morsmanlaw
post Feb 28 2020, 12:19 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 16,308

I know this is an old thread, but just a note to say the video is still of great use. Easy and pretty cheap project, and I went ahead with the cleaning up and repainting of the outside of the canister, too. Thanks.
+Quote Post
brcacti
post Feb 28 2020, 10:27 PM
Post #25

1974 914 1.8

Member No.: 23,302

Since the mechanic that installed my electronic ignition advanced the timing 5-8 I don't seem to be running real rich anymore but when I FIRST put the heater on I do seem to get some fumes, open the window and get fresh air then close it. Is this the purpose of the charcoal box to filter out some air from the passenger cabin?
+Quote Post
76-914
post Feb 29 2020, 08:42 AM
Post #26

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

No. I believe that task is for that little round plastic insert in the door jamb. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 29 2020, 08:49 AM
Post #27

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(brcacti @ Feb 28 2020, 11:27 PM) *

Since the mechanic that installed my electronic ignition advanced the timing 5-8 I don't seem to be running real rich anymore but when I FIRST put the heater on I do seem to get some fumes, open the window and get fresh air then close it. Is this the purpose of the charcoal box to filter out some air from the passenger cabin?

No. It could be some oil dripping on your heat exchangers but it would be a good idea to pressure test your exhaust and at least use a CO detector in your cabin.
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Feb 29 2020, 09:03 AM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(brcacti @ Feb 28 2020, 11:27 PM) *

No. It is to stop gas tank vapors from leaking into the atmosphere. It sounds like you may have oil contamination in the heat exchangers or the heat exchangers have an internal leak and exhaust vapors are entering the cabin. This is extremely dangerous an should be checked out
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Feb 29 2020, 05:21 PM
Post #29

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(porschetub @ May 10 2018, 11:42 PM) *

my car stinks in the engine space . . . .

What are you guys talking about? The smell of gasoline, oil and unburned hydrocarbons 1st thing in the morning is what vintage cars are all about. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

New cars have to meet such strict evaporative emissions standards that we've all forgotten what "real" cars (and real Hot Rodders) smelled like back in the day.

@cuddy_k
Great video -- I've never seen this done and always thought it would be do-able. Glad to see someone tackle it and document it. Great Job.
+Quote Post
StarBear
post Mar 1 2020, 01:58 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 10,753
Region Association: North East States

Great! Have been wondering how to do that for about 30 years...
Have three additional tidbits to contribute:
1. Might want to clean that filter to ensure good air flow. A little Dawn and a medium stiff brush worked for me. Be sure to allow to dry thoroughly before reinstalling.
2. There is ALSO a little filter in the bottom end (see photo). Be sure to remove and clean that one, too.
3. My local pet/fish store carried the pellets (see second photo). A bit more than needed, so correct amount the cannister needs is 35-40 oz. Supported local business.
Onward!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:03 AM