Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Porsche Stack, Finally Cleaned my Garage
ThreeV8s
post May 15 2018, 07:31 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,915
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ May 14 2018, 07:00 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ May 14 2018, 12:50 PM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ May 14 2018, 09:03 AM) *

Lifts are life changing, looks good!

I spy a GT350H of 1960's Hertz rentals fame!

Another nice double Ham stack!

I actually would love to get a double wide 2-car 4-post lift for my tiny 17'-6" w. by 18' d. outside dimensions 1921 garage, but unfortunately I'd have to raise the roof 3-5' more first, which I don't think that either the city nor my wife would allow! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

PS - So instead I'm "stacking" another way, with loads of parts boxes on top of the 2 914s, so it doesn't look like this anymore! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////

Yeah, I had to vault the ceiling, it wasn't super easy, but worth it.

I always said if I were to have a house built, i’d have a drain in the garage. Even though my garage has its own roof and is wide open, i’m not going to be able to stack cleanly due to the supports that are going across. One car will be under the lift to the windshield or so. My 914 sits pretty low, but still just a few inches short of the clearance I need. I am not sure what would be involved to vault mine, but imagine it would be pretty invasive. What did you have to do?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bbrock
post May 15 2018, 09:35 PM
Post #22

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(ThreeV8s @ May 15 2018, 07:31 PM) *

I always said if I were to have a house built, i’d have a drain in the garage.

I always said too and then did have a house built and had a center drain installed in the garage. I hate it. The floor sloping to the center makes it a bitch to roll shop tools around and the radon seal on the drain requires frequent maintenance. It's been more trouble than its worth. If I did it again, I'd install trench drains across the garage doors so the floor would slope along a flat plane.
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post May 16 2018, 07:29 AM
Post #23

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ May 14 2018, 08:03 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) they make putting a 914 project on hold even easier...because you can put another project underneath it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Mine's been up and out of the way for about 10 years....no jack-stands for this guy, hahah.

Once I get the furniture refinished projects out of the way, I'll have to take a picture of my p-car stack garage.
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post May 16 2018, 08:56 AM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,276
Region Association: None

QUOTE(ThreeV8s @ May 15 2018, 05:31 PM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ May 14 2018, 07:00 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ May 14 2018, 12:50 PM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ May 14 2018, 09:03 AM) *

I spy a GT350H of 1960's Hertz rentals fame!

Another nice double Ham stack!

I actually would love to get a double wide 2-car 4-post lift for my tiny 17'-6" w. by 18' d. outside dimensions 1921 garage, but unfortunately I'd have to raise the roof 3-5' more first, which I don't think that either the city nor my wife would allow! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

PS - So instead I'm "stacking" another way, with loads of parts boxes on top of the 2 914s, so it doesn't look like this anymore! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////

Yeah, I had to vault the ceiling, it wasn't super easy, but worth it.

I always said if I were to have a house built, i’d have a drain in the garage. Even though my garage has its own roof and is wide open, i’m not going to be able to stack cleanly due to the supports that are going across. One car will be under the lift to the windshield or so. My 914 sits pretty low, but still just a few inches short of the clearance I need. I am not sure what would be involved to vault mine, but imagine it would be pretty invasive. What did you have to do?

Apparently there is two kinds of garage construction techniques that are normally used. Truss built and stick built. If you have truss' you are out of luck, there is no modifying them. But if you're lucky like I was and your garage was stick built we were able to just moved the supports up, we even re-used the same wood, since it could be shorter because it was going higher. Consult with someone who knows before you start breaking out the sawz-all, I had a guy do mine, the same guy who built my deck, and works on all my rental houses. Let me know if you need more pics.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
ThreeV8s
post May 16 2018, 02:30 PM
Post #25

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ May 16 2018, 10:56 AM) *

Apparently there is two kinds of garage construction techniques that are normally used. Truss built and stick built. If you have truss' you are out of luck, there is no modifying them. But if you're lucky like I was and your garage was stick built we were able to just moved the supports up, we even re-used the same wood, since it could be shorter because it was going higher. Consult with someone who knows before you start breaking out the sawz-all, I had a guy do mine, the same guy who built my deck, and works on all my rental houses. Let me know if you need more pics.

Mine is stick built but the 2x6 supports disappear into a wall going to the back of the house, so I'm not sure if there is a noninvasive way to move the supports up. I have a builder coming to look at it next week. I appreciate the offer for more pics and will take you up on it if the garage is going to be modified. Otherwise, I am going to live with it the way it is and just have the front portion of the bottom car under the lift.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post May 16 2018, 03:17 PM
Post #26

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

Both my garages are too low for a 2 or 4 post lift. I’ve been looking at options to add on or build a 3’rd building.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
ThreeV8s
post May 16 2018, 03:28 PM
Post #27

QUOTE(mepstein @ May 16 2018, 05:17 PM) *

Both my garages are too low for a 2 or 4 post lift. I’ve been looking at options to add on or build a 3’rd building.

Mark, if you are considering a separate garage, check shedsunlimited.net. That’s where I got my shed and they make nice garages that are very reasonable. They just moved from Gap to Morgantown, PA, so probably not out of delivery range for you. If I could convince my wife to agree, I would have one at the end of my driveway.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post May 16 2018, 03:58 PM
Post #28

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(ThreeV8s @ May 16 2018, 05:28 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ May 16 2018, 05:17 PM) *

Mark, if you are considering a separate garage, check shedsunlimited.net. That’s where I got my shed and they make nice garages that are very reasonable. They just moved from Gap to Morgantown, PA, so probably not out of delivery range for you. If I could convince my wife to agree, I would have one at the end of my driveway.

There are a lot of Amish builders in our area. Gap is even closer to me. I'm at the border of PA, DE & MD.

I already have one shed/garage/workshop so I'd have to make another building compliment what I have. Both the house and workshop are a 12x12 pitch roof.
I have a raised deck off the back of my house so I'm also considering removing the deck, building car storage and then rebuilding the deck on top.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:37 PM