Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> MPS function, still tuning after these years
worn
post May 16 2018, 10:23 AM
Post #1

can't remember

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I have read and re-read PB Anders' epic work. Bought a Henry meter and everything , but there is one thing I am puzzled by. It looks like from idle to part throttle the pulse length is controlled by the contraction of the aneroid bellow. This produces a pretty straight vacuum- inductance slope. Which means that if you set one end of the curve for A/F ratio, say at idle, or part throttle, all of the other points on the line are fixed, based on the bellows and the spring rate. If you move a line with constant slope all of the points move by the same amount.

Nonetheless, there is some talk about setting mid throttle as though it can be adjusted independent of closed throttle. The reason I am asking is I have been chasing a partial throttle dead spot in the 2,000-3,000 rpm range under partial load. Idle is too rich (11-12) and at the dead spot the mixture goes way lean (16-17 or higher).

I can move the diaphragm stop (outer screw), but that doesn't change the range or slope of the aneroid, it seems to be mostly involved with WOT control (which works fine for me). So I cannot understand how that could affect partial throttle ranges.

Is there a way of adjusting mid-throttle independently from closed throttle?

I should add that it is a 2056 with 8.5 static compression and a Web cam 73 with so called Raby grind (can't blame Jake here, I ordered it without his help). I rather think it would work better as stock. But, I get really close.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Frank S
post May 16 2018, 03:37 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,632
Region Association: Germany

Different cams have different vacuum signatures.
Attach a T-Piece between the MPS and Manifold, route a hose to your steering rack and attach a vacuum gauge. Run the engine in 4th gear under load with constant throttle at different RPM. Once you understand what vacuum is present at which RPM level you understand what you adjust. Part load mixture is going high up in RPM under constant load and if you tune this for not running too lean you will run too rich below 2000 RPM since you probably have less vacuum below 2000 RPM.
Adjustment is a compromise if you go away from stock configuration.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:04 AM