Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> It shouldn't be this hard!, New fuel lines
Jamie
post May 17 2018, 07:12 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,939
Region Association: South East States

I moved the fuel pump to the front of my 73 1.7L FI several years ago, and last fall began the process of replacing all the remaining original fuel lines, especially the plastic lines in the tunnel. Since the tank had to come out it was time to have it cleaned and sealed, and "while I was at it" to gather parts and install an original front sway bar. So the tank was processed about 8 months ago, and on recent reinstall I discovered the original expansion tank mounts had disappeared. I did some Afro-engineering to make new mounts, got the tank installed, which became a monumental job! New filters and associated tubing in place, poured about a gallon of gas into the tank, and started a steady stream of fuel flowing out on the shop floor. Now my shop and lift are in the basement of my home, and I have to do most fuel related work with the garage doors open to avoid filling the house with gas fumes. The leak was at the main line coming out of the bottom of the tank, no way to fit hands or tools through the small round hole below, so the tank and all related parts, had to come completely back out. Dangit!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) And those 2 black rubber chocks that hold the tank in position are a bi**ch to keep in place!! Resealed the outlet line that had a pinched fiber washer, and tested it for any leaks before reinstalling this time. Having to handle a tank with some fuel sloshing around, plugging all the disconnected fuel lines to avoid leaks, and manipulating the tank back in took most of the day. So finally all the hoses and clamps were connected and clamps checked, another gallon of gas poured into the tank, and I'm ready to start the engine for the final leak test both front and in the engine compartment. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) Oh happy day!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) I turn the key, and no sound from the pump starting as usual? Now what, the pump wasn't disturbed in this whole process, other than the new fuel lines attached? And there doesn't seem to be much fuel coming through the new inline filter placed before the pump? So tomorrow I'll start troubleshooting the whole installation, is there power to the pump, or has the pump failed? I didn't expect it to be this difficult!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
iankarr
post May 17 2018, 07:19 PM
Post #2

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Hang in there...all these issues will make that first ride so much sweeter! If the fuel pump isn’t making any noise, my first suspicion would be the relay. As for the rubber blocks, I find it easiest to put the tank in with no blocks first, then raise each side and slip them down and in. That way friction holds them in place for u. Good luck!
+Quote Post
North Coast Jim
post May 19 2018, 11:19 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 19,450
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Had somewhat the same issues early last year getting our car back together. Tank was already out when I got the car. Had it cleaned and resealed from the inside. Moved the fuel pump, now a carb'd car, to under the steering rack and gravel pan. New filter sock and new fiber gaskets on both lines. Blocked the small line. Tank installed and all new fuel lines installed, including new Tangerine SS lines in the tunnel. Put in a gallon of gas and started car. Ran of course like crap as jetting was off. Left car in the garage for the night. Next morning smelled gas and pushed car outside. Drained gas and removed the tank. The small outlet had a pin hole rust through and weeped gas. Cut it short and reinstalled the shunted outlet line. This time I left the tank out of the car and put it up on saw horses. Put in some gas and left it for a couple of hours. Gas still weeping but this time on the large outlet fiber washer. The work went on and I'll not bore you with the details of needding new aluminum fasteners and chasing threads on the outlet of the tank, etc. What I can say is all this work was worth it. The car runs great now and (most) all items are now fixed. Car runs superbly. What a hoot to drive around. Stay the course. Treat it like an AA member, take it one day at a time. The reward is so much FUN with capital letters.

By the way if you moved the fuel pump forward you may have dislodged the wiring during tank removal/install and caused a disconnect at the pump. Ask me how I know.
+Quote Post
Jamie
post May 19 2018, 02:30 PM
Post #4

Dangit, this project is never ending, due to a big delay I caused yesterday morning. I took time out from the fuel system problems to clean out a gutter on the shop roof. I managed to fall off the ladder about 10' onto the concrete driveway, and broke the tibula bone in my L leg just above the ankle. Wearing a boot now, and will probably have a cast replacement this coming week. I'm about to break something else while trying to maneuver around the house on crutches. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post May 19 2018, 03:08 PM
Post #5

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

Something I recently found on Betty's car.

There are patches of carpeting under the tank. They suck up and hold water. After 44 years and LOTS of miles, the moisture they held caused the tank to rust out where it contacts the pads. I must have pulled the tank a dozen times and replaced all the lines under there. Everytime I would put a couple gallons of gas in it, it would be fine. The minute I filled the tank, we had a leak. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Finally, Betty and I were pulling the tank and she noticed the tank leaking in the middle right where the rust was from contact with the pads. I almost didn't notice, as it was pouring rain at the time, and I thought it was water. She stuck her fingers in it and smelled them. You gotta love a woman that will do something like that.

I replaced the tank, and everything is fine now.

Suggestion, the next time you pull the tank, replace the carpet with strips of thick rubber that won't hold moisture.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Jamie
post May 19 2018, 06:40 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 19 2018, 01:08 PM) *

Something I recently found on Betty's car.

There are patches of carpeting under the tank. They suck up and hold water. After 44 years and LOTS of miles, the moisture they held caused the tank to rust out where it contacts the pads. I must have pulled the tank a dozen times and replaced all the lines under there. Everytime I would put a couple gallons of gas in it, it would be fine. The minute I filled the tank, we had a leak. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Finally, Betty and I were pulling the tank and she noticed the tank leaking in the middle right where the rust was from contact with the pads. I almost didn't notice, as it was pouring rain at the time, and I thought it was water. She stuck her fingers in it and smelled them. You gotta love a woman that will do something like that.

I replaced the tank, and everything is fine now.

Suggestion, the next time you pull the tank, replace the carpet with strips of thick rubber that won't hold moisture.

Thanks for the suggestion Clay, but I've already anticipated that problem. My felt pads were in fine shape, and I saturated them with WD 40 to reduce the rust potential should any water ever find its way into that compartment.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:33 AM