Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> It shouldn't be this hard!, New fuel lines
Jamie
post May 17 2018, 07:12 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,939
Region Association: South East States

I moved the fuel pump to the front of my 73 1.7L FI several years ago, and last fall began the process of replacing all the remaining original fuel lines, especially the plastic lines in the tunnel. Since the tank had to come out it was time to have it cleaned and sealed, and "while I was at it" to gather parts and install an original front sway bar. So the tank was processed about 8 months ago, and on recent reinstall I discovered the original expansion tank mounts had disappeared. I did some Afro-engineering to make new mounts, got the tank installed, which became a monumental job! New filters and associated tubing in place, poured about a gallon of gas into the tank, and started a steady stream of fuel flowing out on the shop floor. Now my shop and lift are in the basement of my home, and I have to do most fuel related work with the garage doors open to avoid filling the house with gas fumes. The leak was at the main line coming out of the bottom of the tank, no way to fit hands or tools through the small round hole below, so the tank and all related parts, had to come completely back out. Dangit!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) And those 2 black rubber chocks that hold the tank in position are a bi**ch to keep in place!! Resealed the outlet line that had a pinched fiber washer, and tested it for any leaks before reinstalling this time. Having to handle a tank with some fuel sloshing around, plugging all the disconnected fuel lines to avoid leaks, and manipulating the tank back in took most of the day. So finally all the hoses and clamps were connected and clamps checked, another gallon of gas poured into the tank, and I'm ready to start the engine for the final leak test both front and in the engine compartment. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) Oh happy day!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) I turn the key, and no sound from the pump starting as usual? Now what, the pump wasn't disturbed in this whole process, other than the new fuel lines attached? And there doesn't seem to be much fuel coming through the new inline filter placed before the pump? So tomorrow I'll start troubleshooting the whole installation, is there power to the pump, or has the pump failed? I didn't expect it to be this difficult!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 08:36 PM