Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Introduction, and advice request
andreic
post May 20 2018, 08:05 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,479
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Hello all,

let me first introduce myself. My name is Andrei, I am in Madison, WI, and I am slowly trying to get an Irish Green 1972 Porsche 914 1.7L with D-Jet back on the road. This is my second 914, having owned for several years a red 1975 1.8L on which I rebuilt the engine.

I'll post some photos of the 1972 soon, once the rain clears and I can take it out of the garage to take some pics. I have already dealt with the brakes, it has no rust, and the interior is in great condition.

The car runs, but there are many small things that are not right with it:

1) there are small fuel leaks at one of the fuel tank hoses and at the three port pump;
2) there is an exhaust leak somewhere which makes a very loud rattling noise, but I have not figured out where;
3) there is a thick layer of baked oil on the bottom of the engine and transmission, which smells quite unpleasantly when it gets heated;
4) there is an oil leak which I am pretty sure is coming from the rear main seal, behind the flywheel (oil comes out of the inspection port at the bottom of the transmission, where it mates to the engine);
5) the vacuum hoses are 46 years old and do not seal very well;
6) the (tail) shifter is very vague, and I want to replace the bushings;
7) the rigid plastic fuel lines have not been replaced, and maybe they should.

I would like to fix all these issues eventually. The easiest way to address all of them at once would be to drop the engine, but that will take the car out of commission for quite some time. (I know how this goes, one thing leads to another... and if you're not careful it's 2-3 months till it drives again.) Since I just got the car I'd like to enjoy it while the summer is here -- in Wisconsin we can't drive fun cars past November 1st.

The biggest issues that make the car not fun to drive right now are the fact that the car and the garage stink after I drive it, and that it is very loud while driving. I think this is caused mostly by #1, #2, and #3. I could either fix these issues working under the car now, and get to the rest of the things in the fall, or I could do everything at once now by dropping the engine and being disciplined about the project.

I am looking for advice on which way to go at this point.

For reference, I have dropped an engine on another 914 once, but I am slow at these kinds of things, and stuff that some people say should take 3-4 hours takes me the best part of a day.

Thanks for any advice and insight you guys may have,
Andrei.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 06:14 PM