Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Next SoCal tech day - top end engine refresh?
Tdskip
post May 31 2018, 07:35 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,666
Region Association: None

Good morning. The discussion/help that you're offering on a potential 1.7 L refresh has me wondering about doing that as a second tech day for the SoCal mafia.

Different sort of thing in all likelihood then what the good Doctor helped us with, but my guess is that there are a bunch of us that have engines hanging around that could either benefit from this or could be put back into use.

Would this be useful for a good number of our members here? If we had a good set of prerequisites do you think we could knock this out in a day? I'm thinking that if we got well organized maybe we could do a group buy sort of thing with one machine shop to do the work.

What do you think?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ValcoOscar
post May 31 2018, 08:20 AM
Post #2

Garage Life

Member No.: 16,669
Region Association: Southern California

I have a few spare engines at the moment, one is a 1.7 w factory FI that I removed from my 73. Condition unknown.
I also have a 2.0 VW bus engine w dual webers that has sat for two years. It should fire up rather easily.

In either case, I'm open to this tech day.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Oscar
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post May 31 2018, 08:24 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Oscar!

Great, so we have two.

Still early out here, hopefully more people will jump in post-coffee.

BTW - kicking around shifter bushings / suspension refresh / trim refresh / dyno day for carb tuning and some other ideas as we keep this group thing going. Don't be shy if you have ideas for what would benefit the community.

+Quote Post
Boomingbeetle
post May 31 2018, 10:48 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 20,556

I have a carb’d 1.7 in the garage from my big-4 conversion. It ran pretty good but I’d be willing to open it up to a 1911. Would love to attend either way
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post May 31 2018, 11:05 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

So now we have three! My hunch is that we can suck Gabe into this, so let's call it four.

Let's get a fifth....who else gentlemen?

+Quote Post
ValcoOscar
post May 31 2018, 11:14 AM
Post #6

Garage Life

Member No.: 16,669

I can host (90621). I have lots of space, tables and tools, but unfortunately no specialty tools to speak of.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Oscar

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post May 31 2018, 12:30 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Thank you Oscar
+Quote Post
marksteinhilber
post May 31 2018, 12:38 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 15,057

I may be interested in watching/attending. I'm not sure I'm ready to invest $$ in all the parts to assemble a third engine for myself. I have a used GA 2.0 shortblock with crank, rods, cam, and flywheel waiting to rebuild in storage along with some used 2.0 smog heads, and some 1.7 rockers with swivel feet adjusters... But I have a spare already rebuilt 2056 waiting to go in the car. I think all my third engine parts need to be fully torn down and checked by the machine shop before I consider building it back up (2258?). All this will add cost for line boring, oil pressure / relief, new oil pump, bearings, dowel pins, cam, lifters, and the balancing to really do this right. I think a 2258 will cost at least $3k in additional parts and shop costs.

Are you all are sure that all of you only need to address P&C and top ends? I guess you could all tear your engines down to that point beforehand. It will take some time for all the heads can be reconditioned at the machine shop, unless you are all buying new AMC 1.8 heads with valves and porting from AA or other sources (more $$). To have a group engine build day, you will each need to have your new P&Cs, deck heights figured out, gasket sets ready, and the parts for your valve trains. I'm not sure I'd try to do a group of engines in just a day. Maybe it's best to start this as group buy for machine shop services and some P&C kits. Then a couple weeks later, you could assemble one or two engines as a group so everyone learns and gets experience. A follow-on day could build a couple more or the remaining engines. Is EMW Jorge or other expert interested in helping the group? Colin?

TDskip, how skilled are you now with gearboxes and can you tell if a spare is in good condition without driving it? I need to have mine fixed as it sometimes pops out of third and is not a shift linkage problem or adjustment. I have a spare gearbox, but I don't know if it is worse, or any good at all.... Is your 914 driving? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif) Mark
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post May 31 2018, 12:47 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE(marksteinhilber @ May 31 2018, 01:38 PM) *

I may be interested in watching/attending. I'm not sure I'm ready to invest $$ in all the parts to assemble a third engine for myself. I have a used GA 2.0 shortblock with crank, rods, cam, and flywheel waiting to rebuild in storage along with some used 2.0 smog heads, and some 1.7 rockers with swivel feet adjusters... But I have a spare already rebuilt 2056 waiting to go in the car. I think all my third engine parts need to be fully torn down and checked by the machine shop before I consider building it back up (2258?). All this will add cost for line boring, oil pressure / relief, new oil pump, bearings, dowel pins, cam, lifters, and the balancing to really do this right. I think a 2258 will cost at least $3k in additional parts and shop costs.

Are you all are sure that all of you only need to address P&C and top ends? I guess you could all tear your engines down to that point beforehand. It will take some time for all the heads can be reconditioned at the machine shop, unless you are all buying new AMC 1.8 heads with valves and porting from AA or other sources (more $$). To have a group engine build day, you will each need to have your new P&Cs, deck heights figured out, gasket sets ready, and the parts for your valve trains. I'm not sure I'd try to do a group of engines in just a day. Maybe it's best to start this as group buy for machine shop services and some P&C kits. Then a couple weeks later, you could assemble one or two engines as a group so everyone learns and gets experience. A follow-on day could build a couple more or the remaining engines. Is EMW Jorge or other expert interested in helping the group? Colin?

TDskip, how skilled are you now with gearboxes and can you tell if a spare is in good condition without driving it? I need to have mine fixed as it sometimes pops out of third and is not a shift linkage problem or adjustment. I have a spare gearbox, but I don't know if it is worse, or any good at all.... Is your 914 driving? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif) Mark

I am definitely still a novice, but I am happy to help however I can, and there's enough of us in OC that I'm sure we can figure it out.

Again, more than happy to help but want to make sure I am not overstating my abilities.
+Quote Post
sb914
post May 31 2018, 01:27 PM
Post #10

Surf Guru

Member No.: 15,191

I'd be into suspension refresh-upgrade!
Engines in both cars are fine!
And maybe small welding project!
+Quote Post
MM1
post May 31 2018, 02:25 PM
Post #11

914 obsession continues

Member No.: 22,105

At the very least I would like to observe. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) Mark's points about staging are well-taken.
+Quote Post
MM1
post May 31 2018, 02:26 PM
Post #12

914 obsession continues

Member No.: 22,105

Thanks for offering to host, Oscar!
+Quote Post
burton73
post May 31 2018, 03:18 PM
Post #13

burton73

Member No.: 7,414

I would love to come. Not sure what to fix as I only have a questionable 1.7 in my 70 car that has not run since 1985. It depends on the date.

Thanks Oscar.

You are very kind person. Sell me you light blue car!

Bob B

+Quote Post
Tdskip
post May 31 2018, 06:19 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

OK - so I am going to say we have adequate interest, so it is really more about;

1) logistics
2) skill

Logistics = everyone having things ready so we can be at the same stage and press forward together

Skill = making sure we press forward together in the right direction so we don't all create boat anchors and have to listen to Mr Epstein remind us he said to put in a 3.2l in the first place.

I think we can work the logistics, I am more worried about skill.

The suggestion we find a machine shop, or EMW to help guide this is an excellent one I think.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post May 31 2018, 06:22 PM
Post #15

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Tdskip @ May 31 2018, 08:19 PM) *

OK - so I am going to say we have adequate interest, so it is really more about;

1) logistics
2) skill

Logistics = everyone having things ready so we can be at the same stage and press forward together

Skill = making sure we press forward together in the right direction so we don't all create boat anchors and have to listen to Mr Epstein remind us he said to put in a 3.2l in the first place.

I think we can work the logistics, I am more worried about skill.

The suggestion we find a machine shop, or EMW to help guide this is an excellent one I think.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
914_teener
post May 31 2018, 06:27 PM
Post #16

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489

Just a thought......

If you had just one engine at say a short block assembly with already checked peices and just assembled by someone that has done it before....I.d attend just to watch.
+Quote Post
SO.O.C914er
post May 31 2018, 07:28 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 20,199

I would absolutely be down for this one. If I can help with setup or bbq Oscar let me know (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) Paul
+Quote Post
kahluver
post Jun 1 2018, 08:58 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 17,973

QUOTE(Tdskip @ May 31 2018, 10:05 AM) *

So now we have three! My hunch is that we can suck Gabe into this, so let's call it four.

Let's get a fifth....who else gentlemen?

Thanks Tom. Yes count me in. I don't have a motor to build but I can pick up the donuts.
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Jun 1 2018, 09:06 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE(kahluver @ Jun 1 2018, 09:58 AM) *

Thanks Tom. Yes count me in. I don't have a motor to build but I can pick up the donuts.

That is a key add to the day - donuts, yum!

Psyched you are in as well.

I should be able to start dialing for some actual skill / knowledge later today. Very open for ideas on contact people etc...

Wonder if FAT would want to play?
+Quote Post
marksteinhilber
post Jun 1 2018, 02:10 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 15,057

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jun 1 2018, 08:06 AM) *

QUOTE(kahluver @ Jun 1 2018, 09:58 AM) *

That is a key add to the day - donuts, yum!

Psyched you are in as well.

I should be able to start dialing for some actual skill / knowledge later today. Very open for ideas on contact people etc...

Wonder if FAT would want to play?

Just buy that good used motor to drive with until you get the 3.2. We watched you hunting down that good used 2.0 already. Plenty of good motors coming out as the sixes get put in. I bought a good 2.0 rebuilt long block for $900 just a year ago, 113 hp rwhp on dyno.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:50 AM