Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Targa top, A follow up to my previous thread about my targa top leaking.
daytona
post Jun 1 2018, 11:48 AM
Post #1

daytona

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,249
Region Association: South East States

Hi World,
This is a follow up question to my previous thread about water leaking between the Targa top new seals and side windows on my 74.
With the help from the 914 community I was able to determine that at least one of the reasons my top is leaking, is that my 74 actually has an early top.
Luckily I have a late top amongst the spare parts, and as I was removing the old seals and getting it ready for clean up and paint, I noticed that the two side rails that the side seals slide into are bowed. Both rails are bowed towards the center of the top.
I looked at other spare tops and one of them has the bow towards the outside, and some towards the center of the top.
Which is correct? Is the rail supposed to be bowed at all?
I am going to order new seals for the correct "late" top, but I want to make sure that the seals are installed correctly.
Thanks for all the help.
Bill.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Mikey914
post Jun 2 2018, 12:22 AM
Post #2

The rubber man

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

The seals are actually different, but factory improved them. The difference is the early seal was an elongated bulb. The late they added a fin to allow the window to sweep under the lip. The lates work on all.

https://shop.914rubber.com/914-Targa-to-Win...m?categoryId=-1

You can see this picture shows it

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:43 PM