Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 901 tranny what parts can flip, relocate, swap to increase life
jjs3rd914
post Jun 1 2018, 06:33 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,476

We have three side shift trannys and want to assemble the best one out of the three, in trying to minimize what new replacement parts might be needed.

So yes or no

1. Synchros - searches have revealed that if they are not too bad they can be flipped, or even relocated, so we will get the best ones and flip them if there is an advantage to do so? Yes/no? Understand they are all the same -True?

2. Dog teeth - can be relocated as understand they are all the same. So if have a badly worn 2nd gear dog teeth could replace with a slightly worn say 5th gear dog teeth. is 1st unique?

3. Shifting sleeves. 1st is unique so we' pick the best ones if we have best ones.

2-3 and 4-5 are the same. Can they be swapped, would assume so. So will pick the best ones. Also can they be flipped, or turned around, any advantage to doing that?

4. any other parts that can be flipped or relocated?

5. any advantage to switching sides on the drive flanges?

Thanks
jjs3rd914
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Porschef
post Jun 1 2018, 06:45 PM
Post #2

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152
Region Association: North East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Doc??
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Jun 1 2018, 07:24 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 12,023
Region Association: Southern California

I'm sure the Dr (the real one...) will chime in...

1. you have 3 gearboxes, chances are a few 4-5 gear synchros might be reusable as they are the ones that get the less amount of wear, otherwise not too expensive.

2. Same applies for dogteeth

3. Yes, pray there is a decent 1st gear one in there but... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) .
2-3 and 4-5 are the same. Flip, maybe to put worse one on 5th (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

4. You can swap around gears to create different ratios but that's another story...

5. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

Make sure you use the best doner box as far as bearings. Also, you need to use the same gasket thickness as original on the intermediate plate to housing paper gasket.

Contact Dr Evil and get his video, best reference (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

Good luck with your fun project (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
mtndawg
post Jun 1 2018, 09:33 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 9,985
Region Association: None

Now that I’ve attended a rebuild clinic I know enough to be dangerous. There will be some special tools required and it seems like it would be smart to replace some of the bearings even though you have 3 boxes.

Yes, Mr Evil is your best help.
+Quote Post
jjs3rd914
post Jun 2 2018, 08:53 AM
Post #5

1st two boxes are apart, one looks so so the other not bad. 3rd tranny still in car. Will remove when swap motor as are replacing the stock 1.7 with a fresh 2056 build.

I do have the tools to replace the dog teeth and fixture for fork alignment as well as an old case cut out for alignment as well.

Yes am measuring the gasket thickness between intermediate plate and the housing. Did rebuild a couple of these years ago.

Will post some pictures of maybe the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly as they come apart.

Thanks
jjs3rd914

+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jun 4 2018, 01:16 PM
Post #6

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Sounds like you have a good base of knowledge. You have outlined the swappable parts/flappable. The others nailed it. Just make sure you build the one with the nicest ring and pinion.
+Quote Post
jjs3rd914
post Jun 7 2018, 06:20 AM
Post #7

Looks like except for first gear there are really good synchros and dog teeth for 2-5 and sliders.

Also have a good 1st gear slider but no good dog teeth.

So I have read where one actually can install a 2nd-5th dog teeth on 1st gear, Whats the downside side if any. I do have enough parts to do so. Any upside by doing so?

Also can one machine the added slot in a 2-5th dog teeth. If so how accurate must it be and what is best way to do so. We do have a bench mill but I would assume the dog teeth material is very hard.

By doing so I suppose one can UPSHIFT into first which of course does not happen. In like manner one never down shifts into 5th, do we so why does 5th have two brake bands?

Thanks
jjs3rd914

+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jun 7 2018, 11:33 AM
Post #8

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(jjs3rd914 @ Jun 7 2018, 08:20 AM) *

Looks like except for first gear there are really good synchros and dog teeth for 2-5 and sliders.

Also have a good 1st gear slider but no good dog teeth.

So I have read where one actually can install a 2nd-5th dog teeth on 1st gear, Whats the downside side if any. I do have enough parts to do so. Any upside by doing so?

Also can one machine the added slot in a 2-5th dog teeth. If so how accurate must it be and what is best way to do so. We do have a bench mill but I would assume the dog teeth material is very hard.

By doing so I suppose one can UPSHIFT into first which of course does not happen. In like manner one never down shifts into 5th, do we so why does 5th have two brake bands?

Thanks
jjs3rd914

Just throw a set of 2-5 teeth on first with the blocks and bands for 2-5 gears as well. No down side. Never had a problem in over a decade. Up side, you have good used. Dont machine, no need.
+Quote Post
jjs3rd914
post Jun 7 2018, 12:59 PM
Post #9

Thanks to all for the info and for Dr. Evil for clarifying that we can indeed put 2-5 synchros with 2 brake bands on first gear. Surely saving some bucks on the rebuild.

Now on to checking all the bearings.

Again THANKS
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 06:23 AM