Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A possible new owner, What do you think
912e owner
post Jun 3 2018, 01:21 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,185
Region Association: None

Hello 914 owners - my name is Frank and I have a 1976 912e that was completely rebuilt by the previous owner (all numbers match) and I just enjoy the heck out of the car - leaving my 2014 Carrera in the garage most of the time!
OK here is why I am here - we share the engine and transmission of a 1975 914 (I think except for the type of fuel injection so I a bit familiar with these pieces) - I do my own routine maintenance (oil changes etc) but am not a rebuilder - so please give me your thoughts!
I am considering a 1976 bone stock 914 that has been in storage since the early 1990's - it is copper in color and has approximately 40k miles - one owner who passed away and left in the garage since then - integral type so it has been climate controlled -I have seen the car from the bottom mostly as it is in a used car/restoration garage on a lift (over a roadrunner) - the bottom is clean with no leaks or rust - dealer tells me that he has removed the tank and cleaned up the fuel system and will add new hoses etc - interior is as new - clean with no damage anywhere - even has the original am/fm radio - no modifications as it is as delivered - body looks excellent with excellent wheels etc.
It has not been driven as the dealer is going to completely go over the engine before starting it up - he is a dealer who specializes in vintage and unusual cars (currently has a Jensen and roadrunner on the lot as an example)
If the car is all original with no rust anywhere as he states and only one owner would you pay 20k as he is asking? - also I thought 1975 was the last year - he has all records even the window sticker - I thank you!
Frank
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Jun 3 2018, 01:33 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

All the 1976 914 were built in 1975 . Copper color is a plus, special order color. Mileage is good.Having the plumbing gone thru is a plus. Go for the lowest price you want to start at and work from there. Probably double the sticker ( $7500?) will get you in the ballpark.
+Quote Post
burton73
post Jun 3 2018, 02:19 PM
Post #3

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(912e owner @ Jun 3 2018, 12:21 PM) *

Hello 914 owners - my name is Frank and I have a 1976 912e that was completely rebuilt by the previous owner (all numbers match) and I just enjoy the heck out of the car - leaving my 2014 Carrera in the garage most of the time!
OK here is why I am here - we share the engine and transmission of a 1975 914 (I think except for the type of fuel injection so I a bit familiar with these pieces) - I do my own routine maintenance (oil changes etc) but am not a rebuilder - so please give me your thoughts!
I am considering a 1976 bone stock 914 that has been in storage since the early 1990's - it is copper in color and has approximately 40k miles - one owner who passed away and left in the garage since then - integral type so it has been climate controlled -I have seen the car from the bottom mostly as it is in a used car/restoration garage on a lift (over a roadrunner) - the bottom is clean with no leaks or rust - dealer tells me that he has removed the tank and cleaned up the fuel system and will add new hoses etc - interior is as new - clean with no damage anywhere - even has the original am/fm radio - no modifications as it is as delivered - body looks excellent with excellent wheels etc.
It has not been driven as the dealer is going to completely go over the engine before starting it up - he is a dealer who specializes in vintage and unusual cars (currently has a Jensen and roadrunner on the lot as an example)
If the car is all original with no rust anywhere as he states and only one owner would you pay 20k as he is asking? - also I thought 1975 was the last year - he has all records even the window sticker - I thank you!
Frank

Without seeing it and knowing that there is no rust I want to point out that a 76 914 in original shape ( Very Good) paint with records is easy worth $20,000. Today.

Sold mine to Belgium in Jan. of this year for that number.

A car dealer will get the Max dollar the car and knows how to list it. You need to know all the problem spots on the car as 40,000 in Pittsburg if and of it was in the snow ( Salt) or rain could have started problems. Get a 914 guy to help you out on a PPI

Bob B

+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Jun 3 2018, 02:21 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666

Welcome!

Post pictures if you can, will be a big help.
+Quote Post
912e owner
post Jun 3 2018, 04:25 PM
Post #5

Thanks for the help so far guys - hope to see it on the ground later this week and will get some pics - first time I have seen the bottom of a car first - one question - I noticed that it had 2 exhaust tips which had yellow stripes around the chrome tips - this cannot be original is it? - i only have one exhaust out of my engine
thanks for the help
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Jun 3 2018, 05:11 PM
Post #6

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Where in the 'burgh do you live? I have a condo in Sewickley, work in Plum.

Are you planning to bring your 912 to the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix? I'll be bringing my 930 to the car show at Schenley Park on Sat 7/14.

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
burton73
post Jun 3 2018, 06:31 PM
Post #7

burton73

Member No.: 7,414

QUOTE(Spoke @ Jun 3 2018, 04:11 PM) *

Are you planning to bring your 912 to the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix? I'll be bringing my 930 to the car show at Schenley Park on Sat 7/14.

SorryI forgot, Welcome (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Bob B
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jun 3 2018, 06:58 PM
Post #8

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

I also have a copper metallic car L99K paint code, I previously thought it was only able to be ordered in 75, but I guess 76 as well! Rare color, I've only seen 6 or 7 here on world. there are 3 owners that are active here, and one went to Europe recently. I would say if the price is right, grab it! and please , pictures!
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jun 3 2018, 07:04 PM
Post #9

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106

QUOTE(912e owner @ Jun 3 2018, 06:25 PM) *

Thanks for the help so far guys - hope to see it on the ground later this week and will get some pics - first time I have seen the bottom of a car first - one question - I noticed that it had 2 exhaust tips which had yellow stripes around the chrome tips - this cannot be original is it? - i only have one exhaust out of my engine
thanks for the help

that sounds like a Monza. the 75 and 76 models had some very restrictive catalytic converters and heat exchangers. the stock muffler I think was Bursch, but mine came with a Monza and the original HE which were badly rusted out. it was the first thing I did other than sort the FI( which will be d-jetronic Bosch on the 2.0.
I have an after market Triad but if I were getting one today I would back date the HE to a earlier year HE and add a stainless muffler from Tangernie Racing-Chris Foley.
There are other options but look close at your exhaust and make sure those original HE are not leaking- that is if the original ones are actually still there. Maybe those have already been changed out.

Picutres would help.

Phil
+Quote Post
Blue6
post Jun 3 2018, 07:54 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 16,470

Frank,
First, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) . Second, while the copper metallic might be rare, it’s proven that a car painted that color is slower than BLUE.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) As suggested, get a knowleadgeable 914 guy to look at it. Lots hidden from an untrained eye...
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jun 3 2018, 08:59 PM
Post #11

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

You had me at no leaks and no rust.
However, You do need to do a through inspection on the lift looking at all the usual spots (hell hole, longs, underside mostly, the trunks are easy).
He is a dealer ask him to make you a deal you can't refuse. The inspection is the real key, they all have some rust. Just make sure it is minimal. No rust is a unicorn. It's a 76 the production is limited, but not necessarily the most desirable of all. It's not bone stock with that exhaust, and you should research what it would cost you locally to make it bone stock. That's a good place to start. It's not an unfair price, or maybe still a bargain, but bone stock and rust free are embellishments to the truth.

By the way I have 912E with sunroof (my wife does anyhow). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
914-300Hemi
post Jun 3 2018, 10:26 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 6,794

+Quote Post
912e owner
post Jun 4 2018, 04:46 AM
Post #13

Hi - live near Greensburg actually - yes taking the 912 to the show - and maybe also to the show at PIT raceway the week before where the fast VGP cars are!

FRank
+Quote Post
912e owner
post Jun 4 2018, 04:51 AM
Post #14

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jun 3 2018, 09:04 PM) *

QUOTE(912e owner @ Jun 3 2018, 06:25 PM) *

thanks for the help

that sounds like a Monza. the 75 and 76 models had some very restrictive catalytic converters and heat exchangers. the stock muffler I think was Bursch, but mine came with a Monza and the original HE which were badly rusted out. it was the first thing I did other than sort the FI( which will be d-jetronic Bosch on the 2.0.
I have an after market Triad but if I were getting one today I would back date the HE to a earlier year HE and add a stainless muffler from Tangernie Racing-Chris Foley.
There are other options but look close at your exhaust and make sure those original HE are not leaking- that is if the original ones are actually still there. Maybe those have already been changed out.

Picutres would help.

Thanks so much - will check it out this weekI hope!

frank

Phil
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Jun 4 2018, 04:55 AM
Post #15

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 3 2018, 07:59 PM) *

However, You do need to do a through inspection on the lift looking at all the usual spots (hell hole, longs, underside mostly, the trunks are easy).
He is a dealer ask him to make you a deal you can't refuse. The inspection is the real key, they all have some rust. Just make sure it is minimal. No rust is a unicorn. It's a 76 the production is limited, but not necessarily the most desirable of all. It's not bone stock with that exhaust, and you should research what it would cost you locally to make it bone stock. That's a good place to start. It's not an unfair price, or maybe still a bargain, but bone stock and rust free are embellishments to the truth.

By the way I have 912E with sunroof (my wife does anyhow). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

It may be a 20K car, but not with $8K of work needing to be done. Cars sit in garages for reasons and these cars weren't built to last forever. That said, if you do your due diligence, you can make a complete list of work to do and costs and make the decision based on professional advice.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
Shadowfax
post Jun 4 2018, 09:00 AM
Post #16

Show us the meaning of haste

Member No.: 18,340

+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Jun 4 2018, 12:09 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666

QUOTE(Edward Blume @ Jun 4 2018, 05:55 AM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 3 2018, 07:59 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

It may be a 20K car, but not with $8K of work needing to be done. Cars sit in garages for reasons and these cars weren't built to last forever. That said, if you do your due diligence, you can make a complete list of work to do and costs and make the decision based on professional advice.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

This is wise counsel.

+Quote Post
912e owner
post Jun 9 2018, 07:20 AM
Post #18

Here are some pics from yesterday - 48,83 miles - stored since 2004 - no rust - PO was enthusiast as shown by all of the shop manuals in the trunk and catalogs - mechanic turned the engine over but will not stay running as could be fuel pump - orig Blau radio even - please comment - do I buy it for 15-20K once running!

Have more pics and will post later
Thanks - Frank

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
912e owner
post Jun 9 2018, 07:26 AM
Post #19

Couple more!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Jun 9 2018, 07:36 AM
Post #20

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

I don't see any center console, no fog lights, no sway bars, aftermarket exhaust and looks like reproduction Fuchs. Tells me that it is a base 2.0, sold for around $7500. +1 on the color and low miles (if validated by records). My start would be $10K. My final price would be $12-13K.

Going to take $1k for parts and labor to replace pump, go through fuel system, tune up,and clean injectors. Brakes may need attention, calipers don't like setting that long.

Rockers need to be pulled and checked too.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 11:48 PM