Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

23 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Travis' 72 914-6 Conversion
TravisNeff
post Jun 5 2018, 04:29 PM
Post #21

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

And a little view of the jack point repair. They cut through the backer part way up, which is kinda scary. However, they used plate steel for the repair and it was definitely strong.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jun 5 2018, 05:44 PM
Post #22

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Wow travis you are flying man. I've still got your spare sitting in my office at work. LOL! One of these days I'm going to stop tripping over it & put it in a box. That replacement panel looks great man. As does your patch for the hell hole. Keep it up man
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Jun 5 2018, 06:04 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195
Region Association: Southern California

Wow amazing job !!!
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Jun 12 2018, 06:08 PM
Post #24

914 Guru

Been sidetracked for a few days. Battery tray patch in the sidewall. I took the car off the jackstands, I had to do some funky shimming of the jack stands to get the chassis level. Plus I need to figure out a plan to support the car while I start cutting into the longs.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jun 12 2018, 06:19 PM
Post #25

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

Long steal tubes welded a front crossmember and tie into the rear suspension outer mount.

Jeff has a great version of this as does Mathew.

I'll be watching

Still trying to decide if I am going Webber / PMO or straight to EFI. Any worry about elevation changes?
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Jun 12 2018, 07:16 PM
Post #26

914 Guru

I am hoping that I do not need to build a frame.

I was looking at this thread http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...26585&st=40 where Rick had made wheel stands instead. My rust repairs will be about the same as that thread.

As for being worried about elevation changes with carbs? I am more worried about figuring out how to jet and tune them in the first place! I know that elevation changes can cause some funny running issues, but I don't think that is a deal killer.
+Quote Post
bryanc
post Jun 12 2018, 08:57 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 2,495

Nice work Travis!
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Jun 12 2018, 11:45 PM
Post #28

914 Guru

Thanks Bryan! Good to see you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I found my floor has a slope side to side at about 3/8 of an inch. If I use some left over 3/8 bamboo flooring on the drivers side it gets me level side to side.

For the back I used a couple 4x4 screwed together and then screwed the ramp stands to it in the back. I dont have any more ramp stands for the front, so I used jack stands at the forward lift points and then a single jack stand at the front trunk floor.

Its mostly level, I need to drop the drivers side rear coilover a 1/4 of an inch or so. I will do that tomorrow.

What do you all think?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Jun 12 2018, 11:54 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Jun 5 2018, 05:32 PM) *

I post every so often in the what did you do to your 914 today thread. Figured I would start a separate thread and have some accountability to get this done.

My car is a 72 which along the way I have swapped the original 1.7 engine out for a 2.0 with DJET & a side shift gearbox.

The plan is to convert to a 1974 2.7 liter six with webers. Along the way I need to do some rust repair - which will be a helluva lot more challenging than the engine swap.

Here's what I am starting with.

Nice car ,that paint (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) ,welcome to the madness of a six conversion,looks like you are well on the way with some great parts already.
Try to look into replacing the solid chain tentioners they are for cam setup or race engines that get freshened often,they place unwanted load on the chains and intermediate shaft and bearings.
Buy some good used mechanical ones and rebuild them,pretty sure the rebuild kits are still for sale,fit chain saver collars and you will be golden.
What plans have you for an engine mount,oil tank and shifter rod?.
Keep up the good work ,I personally enjoy six conversions ,the finished job is the best part when folks find out after a first test drive how well they go (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) .
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Jun 13 2018, 12:02 AM
Post #30

914 Guru

I will change out the mechanical tensioners, but I want to get the conversion done and make sure it runs first.

I am doing a patrick motorsports Tank, Engine mount & front cooler. I have not tackled the shift rod yet. The Tangerine racing one looks good to me. I might try building my own from my spare tail shift linkage and side shift linkage.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jun 13 2018, 05:22 AM
Post #31

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Jun 13 2018, 12:45 AM) *

Thanks Bryan! Good to see you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I found my floor has a slope side to side at about 3/8 of an inch. If I use some left over 3/8 bamboo flooring on the drivers side it gets me level side to side.

For the back I used a couple 4x4 screwed together and then screwed the ramp stands to it in the back. I dont have any more ramp stands for the front, so I used jack stands at the forward lift points and then a single jack stand at the front trunk floor.

Its mostly level, I need to drop the drivers side rear coilover a 1/4 of an inch or so. I will do that tomorrow.

What do you all think?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) that should work (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
+Quote Post
daytona
post Jun 13 2018, 06:02 AM
Post #32

daytona

Member No.: 17,249
Region Association: South East States

Nice looking car and all the work looks good. But those jack stands.... that looks dangerous to me. I would like to see something more secure or at least some redundant support if you are going to be getting under that thing. There are some horror stories about failed jack stands.
Go forward but be safe.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jun 13 2018, 06:19 AM
Post #33

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

What are you using for exhaust?
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jun 13 2018, 06:28 AM
Post #34

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I’m a chicken shit. I would never work under a car set up like that. Be careful about putting torque on a fastener.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jun 13 2018, 10:08 AM
Post #35

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

Travis I would screw a bunch of 2z4s in a stack to do it, then shim the bottoms with metal plate.

Attached Image

Easy and sturdy

Attached Image

This seemed to work also, but not sure I would trust my rotor to hold the car up (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Attached Image

Just wondering on the carbs, as I tend to over think this stuff, and figure somebody would know who might deal with elevation changes more than I do. Just don't want to setup the car drive to Georgia for Okteenerfest and hate the drive due to miss behaving carbs.

Also I can say Tangerine Racings shift rod is a thing of beauty, yes it can be made, sometimes I prefer to support the vendors that support the community. That is why I would got your mount from Rich, Maddog, or (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) Forgot his name (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) and the oil tank from Ben. Spread the love to the guys trying to make my life easier. And yes I have purchased items from PMS also, so I get it. High quality pretty easy to deal with. completely get that idea.
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Jun 13 2018, 10:50 AM
Post #36

914 Guru

I'll take a look at adding a 4x4 as a 2nd i-beam. Again they each rear is now one piece as the wood is screwed together and the ramp is screwed to the wood.

Yes the front is pretty far up there. I think I will take off the front wheels and stack them under the front for insurance. The 2x4 route looks good but I can't get the car much higher than it is. I would need to go up another 8 inches or a foot

PMS is 15 minutes away from me and they have done some work on another car for me in the past, so I try to keep that relationship alive where it makes sense. I bought a lot of these parts before Ben started making them.

For exhaust I have a used set of rusty looking 1 5/8 headers that I got off of another forum member. I have a used dansk 2 in 2 out sport muffler
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jun 13 2018, 11:19 AM
Post #37

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Bob Saville , naro Motorsports for the engine mount.
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Jun 13 2018, 11:27 AM
Post #38

914 Guru

I was going to buy from Bob as his looks like they are stronger than the PMS. But at that time he was out of stock
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Jun 13 2018, 01:31 PM
Post #39

914 Guru

Thanks for all the input so far, I appreciate the feedback. I added a 2nd 4x4 to the I-beam and went a little screw crazy on the new and existing wood. It's not going anywhere.

Still thinking about what to do for extra support/insurance for the front. I have the jack stands oriented 90 degrees from one another so it does not rock on the same plane.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Jun 13 2018, 03:04 PM
Post #40

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

good work (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
+Quote Post

23 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:18 AM