Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

23 Pages V « < 20 21 22 23 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Travis' 72 914-6 Conversion
sixnotfour
post Dec 3 2019, 03:10 PM
Post #421

914 Wizard

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

1yr only C4S wheel,,all 4 here are 7x16....

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Dec 3 2019, 03:28 PM
Post #422

914 Wizard

Fiskie this Fiskie that, Momoney 17x7.5 ,,have 4

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Dec 3 2019, 05:10 PM
Post #423

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Nov 30 2019, 03:56 PM) *

QUOTE(TravisNeff @ Nov 30 2019, 03:53 PM) *

Pete has me thinking...

With your skillset—and your 914's current state—you ought to call John Holleran at Holleran's Performance. He does the best "NB" rear flares I've ever seen. One very long cut, and then a shorter one plus a bit of metal. Almost invisible, with the only clue being the "shoulder" up top gets a bit wider. Otherwise very hard to tell. But the car looks better. And the rear fender still ties into the rockers in front of and in back of the rear wheel properly.

It's worth it, IMO, and I may be following suit. John should have some pics.

That is exactly what I want to do to accommodate my 951 16x8s. Please post pics if you can dig any up.
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Dec 4 2019, 09:41 AM
Post #424

914 Guru

Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

Look up Muellers frankenflares. This is close to what was described. I had to find these on Rennlist.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Dec 4 2019, 09:46 AM
Post #425

914 Guru

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 3 2019, 02:07 PM) *

7x16 china cheep,,but fit...let me help you spend momoney..

HAHA! I am going to stick with those 16x8's 10.6ET that I bought from you and give it the same crazy green treatment with the GT flares. I figure that a 21mm spacer behind those in the rear would give me the same offset to the outside of the rim as a 15x9 ET3. From there I can find out how much work would be to make them fit. And then when i win the lottery I can pick up a pair of the 15x9's
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Dec 5 2019, 11:51 AM
Post #426

914 Wizard

QUOTE(TravisNeff @ Dec 4 2019, 08:41 AM) *

Look up Muellers frankenflares. This is close to what was described. I had to find these on Rennlist.

Or Tangerine Racing

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Gearup
post Dec 5 2019, 03:28 PM
Post #427

Member No.: 18,660
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Jun 4 2018, 11:01 PM) *

Well onto the not so fun stuff. Rust Repair. Several years ago I bought a mig welder and went crazy welding everything in sight. I welded in an engman inner long kit and got the longs too hot which fuquered up my door gaps. I was able to fix this with some good advice here on the site. Since then I have been leary of welding on the car.

Rear trunk floor is shot. I cut this out and have an RD panel to replace it. I also scored a heat shield from a member here. I tossed my old one years ago when it was rattling around in my swiss style trunk floor.

The rear panel on the car was replaced at some point in it's life and only one trunk support survived. I was able to fab up a couple of supports. I also had to weld in new metal to the rear panel as it was rusting where it met the trunk floor. This was an ugly job, I will edit this post later when I take a pic. Good thing the bumper covers that crap up!

Hey there. What heads are those that you used to get the paint off. Are they metal bristle. I’m about to get in my trunk and remove all the old layers of paint and redo? Thanks, Brett
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Dec 5 2019, 08:45 PM
Post #428

914 Guru

24 or 36 grit reloc disks on an air die grinder. An angle grinder with a knotted wire wheel. On the big panels a da with a 36 grit disk.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Dec 5 2019, 09:33 PM
Post #429

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

QUOTE(TravisNeff @ Dec 4 2019, 07:41 AM) *

^ Yep, that's the road. It's been done many times, though getting it so it looks like it came that way seems to be rarely accomplished. The rear fenders don't look pulled, and the only clue that they're flared is that the "shoulder" of the top of the rear fender is a bit wider...noticeable mainly where the crease begins and heads up to the targa bar. It's a very slick look, but hard to find good pictures of. I've seen in on maybe 2-3 cars. A yellow 914-6 that was in VW & Porsche magazine years ago (iirc), a dark blue 914 six conversion that sadly burned, and a 914 in the east bay area that had custom widened VW wheels with dog-dish hub caps. Was still in primer, but it looked killer.

I like the Tangerine look, too, but it is immediately noticeable.

+Quote Post
JRust
post Dec 5 2019, 10:31 PM
Post #430

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Dec 5 2019, 07:33 PM) *

^ Yep, that's the road. It's been done many times, though getting it so it looks like it came that way seems to be rarely accomplished. The rear fenders don't look pulled, and the only clue that they're flared is that the "shoulder" of the top of the rear fender is a bit wider...noticeable mainly where the crease begins and heads up to the targa bar. It's a very slick look, but hard to find good pictures of. I've seen in on maybe 2-3 cars. A yellow 914-6 that was in VW & Porsche magazine years ago (iirc), a dark blue 914 six conversion that sadly burned, and a 914 in the east bay area that had custom widened VW wheels with dog-dish hub caps. Was still in primer, but it looked killer.

I wonder how long ago was the blue six & if it was a 2.7? I bought a burned one mid 2000's that had a serious engine fire. Bought it for the full 5 lug suspension. This one was a nice car before the fire. Although the heat brought out some bond on the flares section across the top. Looks like they cut the top & pull it out an inch or so. Welded a joiner plate from the bottom side. Then filled the gap with bondo. I bet it looked great before. I got a bunch of very nice parts off that car. Not even sure it was the same one but just sounds about right. I haven't some across to many 914's flared like that
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Dec 5 2019, 10:56 PM
Post #431

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

QUOTE(JRust @ Dec 5 2019, 08:31 PM) *

I wonder how long ago was the blue six & if it was a 2.7? I bought a burned one mid 2000's that had a serious engine fire. Bought it for the full 5 lug suspension. This one was a nice car before the fire. Although the heat brought out some bond on the flares section across the top. Looks like they cut the top & pull it out an inch or so. Welded a joiner plate from the bottom side. Then filled the gap with bondo. I bet it looked great before. I got a bunch of very nice parts off that car. Not even sure it was the same one but just sounds about right. I haven't some across to many 914's flared like that

Almost has to be the one. Very pretty dark blue (metallic, I think) six conversion with those flares, a 2.7, five-lug wheels (951 16s, all polished, last time I saw the car). Built by a high school guy who was the son of a Porsche mechanic. I think he did everything on the car himself back then, or alongside his dad, and learned a lot in the process. Would have been circa 1990-1992. He sold it to a high school kid whose dad had an Abarth (double bubble?) to fund his next build, I think?

So what happened to the tub? The "kid" who did built that car is in his 40s now and did my six conversion and built my 2.2. Very talented and very nice guy who has done probably a dozen six conversions and who knows how many engines. He's built another 914 for himself, but was just mentioning how much he wishes he hadn't sold his high school car.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Dec 6 2019, 12:40 AM
Post #432

914 Wizard

thats because they are bigger..9s

really noticeable..yellow 914/ Galen Beiker..88 vw porsche, mag. ...9x15s

green -6 951-8s

I had 951 8s with 245/50s, used a 1x4 to roll em,,wheels now on movequick's yellow 914, his shop had a hell of a time ??+
my white 914..burnt paint is from misc 7s......body is now back to factory..aka back to mom

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
914forme
post Dec 6 2019, 07:49 PM
Post #433

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

My -4 race car was flared like that, not pretty but I had a week to do it between races. And it ran that way for years.

Takes 3 cuts one at the top, and one about mid way up the side in front of the wheel, and one on the rear to keep the shape of the wheel arch. Then pull out to where you want, and run a filler in all the areas. My car ran a bit of bondo to get it a 20/20 car, 20 feet and 20 mph, it looked stock.

In reality there is plenty of metal in there if you wanted to stretch it a bit. Lots of time with a palm nailer and a polished head will get it done. They also now make heads for short stroke air chisels you can move some serious metal with them.

I did it all by hand with my trusty English leg wheel. A leather purse with a bag of shot zipped in it, don't tell the wife, it had a bunch of ugly ass Gs all over it, it was just calling me to hit it with a hammer for days on end. She complained a year latter about a Gucci this or that, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

No it was a cheap leather purse all black that she gave me. Luckily she is not into fancy purse with Gs, just cars, specifically German cars that tend to cost me more coin than a purse with a G on it.

I am one lucky SOB
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Dec 6 2019, 09:23 PM
Post #434

914 Guru

Needed to get some tires for rollers for the 16x8's. Found on the facebook classifieds brand new set of RE-11 225/50/16. Date codes are a bit old (2015), but price was good. They don't make these in 16 anymore. He threw third one in gratis.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Dec 6 2019, 09:25 PM
Post #435

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666

I spy a not so hidden 911....
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Dec 6 2019, 09:28 PM
Post #436

914 Guru

The parts car? yes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Dec 6 2019, 10:01 PM
Post #437

914 Guru

parts o plenty

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Dec 6 2019, 10:06 PM
Post #438

914 Guru

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 3 2019, 02:28 PM) *

Fiskie this Fiskie that, Momoney 17x7.5 ,,have 4

Can you even get hoops anymore for the Fikse wheels? They'd look awful good on the 911. Here's my favorite narrow body iroc look. I have the early turbo tail and rubber in my stash

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Dec 7 2019, 05:00 AM
Post #439

914 Wizard

I bought hoops for fiske's in corvette /chev forums,,,,they bend em up pretty often,,well they used to.10 yrs ago they where still around..
I had em on a 930, untill I sold it ..the guy totaled the 930 with in a month and got em back,,
what was 17 is now 18,19,20..
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Dec 7 2019, 02:15 PM
Post #440

914 Guru

Busy morning today. Got the tires mounted, the re-11 tires run really wide, more like a 245 carcass.

Then a ring at the doorbell and I have a big box from Jeffe'

I know that these repro flares need some adjustments right out of the box. Trying to figure out where that has to be is a little puzzling.

If I put the flares up and the lower lip matches the bottom of the fender return, the main wheel opening is about 1/2" higher than the stock wheel opening. If I move it down so that it matches closely to the existing fender openings (front, back & top of the lip), i will need to do some work to the bottom of the flares where they meet the fenders.

I also think that the top of the fender, the flare should be more flat. Looking for input.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post

23 Pages V « < 20 21 22 23 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 09:27 PM