Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Swap L jet onto 2.0, New motor replacing 1.8 Ljet
marksteinhilber
post Jun 5 2018, 11:24 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,057
Region Association: Southern California

So I have a tired 1.8 that's got some oil leaks, burns some oil, probably needs valve guides, but is running great on Ljet. I have a rebuilt 2.0 with the 2.0L heads, not sure if it is a 1911 0r 2056, and not sure if it is the stock cam or one with more lift and duration suitable for carbs. While I have some Italian 40 IDF Webers, tins, fuel pump, regulator, and everything needed to make it a dual Weber, I like the fact that the Bosch Ljet is all there and working beautifully. I can reach in with the key after the car has sat for days and it starts when the key is turned. I don't want to have to tear out the FI system, rewire and replumb the fuel pump, rebuild the webers, etc, etc.

My questions: Can I use 2.0 L intake manifolds and get them to line up with the 1.8 intake plenum and throttle? Are the 2.0 L manifolds the same diameter as the 1.8 and are they the same length? Can I use the standard cloth covered intake hoses or will they be short? Do I have to bend the 2.0 L manifold tubes to line up, or do I somehow rotate or clock the intake plenum? Will 1.8 injectors fit in the 2.0 manifolds, or should I get 912e injectors? I want to use a new rebuilt throttle that was bored to 47mm from Pbeslin. It solved my notorious 1.8 sticky throttle. I also plan to use 2,0 L tins for the 2.0 L heads and their spark plug orientation. Who thinks A/F ratio will go too lean above 3500 rpm?

Please chime in& #33;Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image[attachmentid
=653614]

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jun 5 2018, 11:38 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

bolt it all together! Will sort of be like a 912e engine, it will all fit and maybe not peak power but good enough Make sure that you use the 1.8 oil filler as well
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Jun 5 2018, 11:40 AM
Post #3

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

The 2L intake runners will not line up with the 1.8 plenum without modification. The Ljet is more than capable of running the 2.0L. The stock 2.0 is 1971cc.
+Quote Post
brenz
post Jun 5 2018, 12:15 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 11,451
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Never attempted this but considered it. Some good info here (page #6, post 117)

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...lled&st=100
+Quote Post
marksteinhilber
post Jun 5 2018, 01:14 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(brenz @ Jun 5 2018, 11:15 AM) *

Never attempted this but considered it. Some good info here (page #6, post 117)

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...lled&st=100

Thanks Brenz, great info there on adjusting AFM!
+Quote Post
marksteinhilber
post Jun 5 2018, 01:17 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Jun 5 2018, 10:40 AM) *

The 2L intake runners will not line up with the 1.8 plenum without modification. The Ljet is more than capable of running the 2.0L. The stock 2.0 is 1971cc.
Yes thanks, 1911 is for 1.8 with new 96mm P&C, 1971 is the stock 2.0 with stock crank.

How best to modify the 2.0 L plenum tubes? Make them same length as the 1.8 and then bend if possible?
+Quote Post
marksteinhilber
post Jun 5 2018, 01:20 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 5 2018, 10:38 AM) *

bolt it all together! Will sort of be like a 912e engine, it will all fit and maybe not peak power but good enough Make sure that you use the 1.8 oil filler as well

Thanks George. 1.8 oil filler to get the crankcase ventilation connected to the intake boot. I had heard that the 2.0 L plenum pipes are shorter and the 4 cloth hoses will be too short. I see you have used or powder coated 2.0L plenums available.
+Quote Post
Valy
post Jun 5 2018, 01:31 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 11,573
Region Association: Northern California

Yes on the 1.8 Ljet. Just drill and enlarge the holes in the 1.8 manifold to match the studs patterns on the 2.0 L heads. Everything else stays the same.
If you're worried about the cam, it's pretty easy to measure lift and duration with the engine out. There are plenty of posts about it.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jun 5 2018, 01:44 PM
Post #9

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

I've done it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
If you have 914 2.0 heads use the 2.0 manifolds and longer manifold to plenum hose. The rest is stock Ljet.
Works good, I don't see any power difference between L-jet and D-jet.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jun 5 2018, 02:36 PM
Post #10

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 5 2018, 02:44 PM) *

If you have 914 2.0 heads use the 2.0 manifolds and longer manifold to plenum hose. The rest is stock Ljet.

I have done it too. I wouldn't suggest modifying the AFM. Just put in bigger injectors from the 912E (also known as Nissan 280ZX injectors) and an oversized bus throttle body.

+Quote Post
marksteinhilber
post Jun 5 2018, 02:50 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 5 2018, 12:44 PM) *

Thanks Mark. Any recommendations on longer cloth manifold hose? Do I bend the 2.0 tubes at all to line up better to the 1.8 plenum?
+Quote Post
marksteinhilber
post Jun 5 2018, 03:05 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 5 2018, 01:36 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 5 2018, 02:44 PM) *

I have done it too. I wouldn't suggest modifying the AFM. Just put in bigger injectors from the 912E (also known as Nissan 280ZX injectors) and an oversized bus throttle body.

Thanks Clay. I had heard about the bigger bus throttle body at 52 mm, but I wasn't sure if it would work or connect to the oem throttle switch from the 1.8. There is a brand new bus throttle body from Go Westy at 52mm with sealed ball bearings to eliminate the shaft wear resulting in a sticky throttle plate. But I had my 1.8 tb repaired with bearings and seals, and was bored out a little to 47mm. What would just an enlarged throttle bore do if using the same AFM on a 1.8 ? More (or less) response at low rpm, or just more air at high rpm and possible lean problems? Then what happens when coupled with bigger valves in 2.0 heads? Easier flow of air into engine, yet all through the very same AFM. One would think it wouldn't be much different, but hopefully slight improvement in performance and responsiveness. Possibly less velocity and mixing of air charge?.
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Jun 5 2018, 03:59 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666
Region Association: None

Interesting, please keep us posted.
+Quote Post
74 sunflower 914
post Jun 5 2018, 04:20 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 9,460
Region Association: Southwest Region

I have this combination on a 1.8 converted to 2056 with the 2.0 head stud pattern. It works great. You may also need to use the 2.0 liter top cooling tin sheet metal pieces (because of the different spark plug locations) along with the 2.0 liter intake runners. As others said, the 2.0 liter runners were too short to work with the braided hose connectors, but it was wasn't hard to find some nice looking rubber ones of a suitable length and diameter and use some German hose clamps on either side of those for a clean, if not quite stock look. The 1.8 manifold and 2.0 liter runners align closely enough to work well with the slightly longer rubber hoses (and probably seal better with the clamps than the original braided ones did - l-jet isn't very tolerant of air leaks). All the remaining FI parts are stock 1.8 L-Jet, including the injectors. It works well, idles smoothly and pulls very strongly up to the redline.

A side note that might interest other '74 1.8 owners -- I was able to find a replacement for the large (30mm) braided S-curve hose (NLA) that goes from the oil filler to the intake at italianautoparts.com. It doesn't have the molded S-curve but works and seals well enough and looks original. Ferrari pricing though...

+Quote Post
marksteinhilber
post Jun 6 2018, 12:17 AM
Post #15

Great info everyone. I’ll try the 2.0 three bolt manifold tubes-with 2.0 heads and tins. I’ll try my rebuilt 1.8 TB and plenum with 1.8 injectors to start, and then swap in 912e injectors and see how differently it really runs . May try an Ljet type 4 in a 1968 912 also if this runs nice!
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jun 6 2018, 09:47 AM
Post #16

that's what I do!

QUOTE(marksteinhilber @ Jun 5 2018, 04:50 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 5 2018, 12:44 PM) *

Thanks Mark. Any recommendations on longer cloth manifold hose? Do I bend the 2.0 tubes at all to line up better to the 1.8 plenum?

I used some Gates rad hose from the local parts place. Nice, black, turned the label downwards and used hose clamps from a VW T1 intake manifold. The hose was a tight fit so the clamps were likely overkill.

I used rivnuts to bolt the L-jet air cleaner mount on. I did it first with self tapping screws, didn't like it and re-did it with the rivnuts, but the screw holes were nice for locating where to drill.

QUOTE(marksteinhilber @ Jun 5 2018, 05:05 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 5 2018, 01:36 PM) *

Thanks Clay. I had heard about the bigger bus throttle body at 52 mm, but I wasn't sure if it would work or connect to the oem throttle switch from the 1.8. There is a brand new bus throttle body from Go Westy at 52mm with sealed ball bearings to eliminate the shaft wear resulting in a sticky throttle plate. But I had my 1.8 tb repaired with bearings and seals, and was bored out a little to 47mm. What would just an enlarged throttle bore do if using the same AFM on a 1.8 ? More (or less) response at low rpm, or just more air at high rpm and possible lean problems? Then what happens when coupled with bigger valves in 2.0 heads? Easier flow of air into engine, yet all through the very same AFM. One would think it wouldn't be much different, but hopefully slight improvement in performance and responsiveness. Possibly less velocity and mixing of air charge?.

Do a search, there's a thread in the garage on this mod.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jun 6 2018, 09:50 AM
Post #17

that's what I do!

QUOTE(Valy @ Jun 5 2018, 03:31 PM) *

Yes on the 1.8 Ljet. Just drill and enlarge the holes in the 1.8 manifold to match the studs patterns on the 2.0 L heads. Everything else stays the same.
If you're worried about the cam, it's pretty easy to measure lift and duration with the engine out. There are plenty of posts about it.

The ports on the 1.8 manifold don't match up to the ports on the 2.0 3 bolt head.
Likely it would work but it would kill the flow.
+Quote Post
marksteinhilber
post Jun 6 2018, 10:30 AM
Post #18

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 6 2018, 08:50 AM) *

The ports on the 1.8 manifold don't match up to the ports on the 2.0 3 bolt head.

Thanks Mark Henry for responses and insight on this project. And thanks to all for the good ideas and discussion on the challenges in doing this mod.

Here's my plan moving forward:
The 2.0 heads with matching intake runners should give the best flow, 2.0 tin to allow spark plug wires to fit, and establish the mounts on the tin for the 1.8 Ljet air cleaner assembly. Some Gates radiator hose seems like the easiest way to connect the mismatch intake runners to the plenum with some inconspicuous hose clamps. I think the 1.8 plenum and an enlarged 1.8 or Westy throttle body, and maybe the 912e/280 zx injectors look to be the rest of the recipe I'll use. Now I know what additional parts that I need to get while I plan for a motor swap out.

Eye Candy is $249, but out of stock:Attached Image

My rebuilt and bored 1.8 TB from Phil (Whip618) member vendor here, may be better match for 2.0 Attached Image
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Jun 6 2018, 12:37 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474

Nice sir Mark that you are now planning to install your 2056 engine. Yes your Ljet system is in perfect condition with the original 1.8 engine in that car. I’m amazed how your existing Ljet parts are working well since the 1st time it run (after that car was seated for several years) I’m sure with the 2056 engine soon, the car will be running a lot lot better.

+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jun 6 2018, 12:44 PM
Post #20

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(marksteinhilber @ Jun 6 2018, 11:30 AM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 6 2018, 08:50 AM) *

Thanks Mark Henry for responses and insight on this project. And thanks to all for the good ideas and discussion on the challenges in doing this mod.

Here's my plan moving forward:
The 2.0 heads with matching intake runners should give the best flow, 2.0 tin to allow spark plug wires to fit, and establish the mounts on the tin for the 1.8 Ljet air cleaner assembly. Some Gates radiator hose seems like the easiest way to connect the mismatch intake runners to the plenum with some inconspicuous hose clamps. I think the 1.8 plenum and an enlarged 1.8 or Westy throttle body, and maybe the 912e/280 zx injectors look to be the rest of the recipe I'll use. Now I know what additional parts that I need to get while I plan for a motor swap out.

Eye Candy is $249, but out of stock:Attached Image

My rebuilt and bored 1.8 TB from Phil (Whip618) member vendor here, may be better match for 2.0 Attached Image

From experience...

The 1.8 throttle body is too small for your motor. Use the 2.0 bus throttle body conversion really woke up Betty's car. The difference in the way it pulls is noticeable.

The 1.8 throttle body will work, but the bus throttle body is 10mm bigger.

Just my $.02
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2024 - 02:12 AM