Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> WCR 2019? Who, When, Where?
stevend914
post Aug 28 2018, 08:59 PM
Post #101

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,670
Region Association: Upper MidWest

A suggestion:

We stopped MUSR at #13 when we only had 5 cars show up. So how about we resurrect MUSR at #14 for 2020? Have it in eastern Colorado because the center of the US sucks for driving roads. Advertise it heavily on here, And see if we can get a LOT of 914s from both coasts to show up.

Okteenerfest, WCR, RRC and the rest take a 1 year hiatus to do the 2020 event.

And we make it a little more than 1 weekend to encourage everyone to show up.

I think over 200 914s in one spot would get the attention of Porsche North America.

And it would be one HELL of a party!!!!!

Have been to teenerfest, Rt66 and WCR, and it sure would be nice to party in the Rockies in the middle. Then my drive would be shorter but we would still have serious slopes to make the drives what they oughta be.

Go to Red Rocks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Aug 28 2018, 09:24 PM
Post #102

Please forgive me, I'm new to all of this!

Member No.: 20,991
Region Association: Southern California

A lot of great suggestions and if So Cal is indeed in the rotation, you pretty much can't go wrong from Central coast (SLO, Paso, Solvang, & Santa Barbara) down to Malibu (PCH along the coast & Canyons around Mulholland ) as well as the deserted canyon roads that run parallel to the 5FWY from the Grapevine (Bouquet & Spunky Canyons).

You also have Angeles Crest from La Canada to Wrightwood over to Arrowhead or Big Bear and down to Temecula (Mt. Palomar). You could actually do it all.

If there is an organizer that comes forward @Jim_Hoyland @76-914 @ValcoOscar , I would be happy to step up to co-organize by submitting some awesome routes for consideration.

Let me know

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Aug 29 2018, 12:28 AM
Post #103

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

QUOTE(stevend914 @ Aug 28 2018, 07:59 PM) *

A suggestion:

We stopped MUSR at #13 when we only had 5 cars show up. So how about we resurrect MUSR at #14 for 2020? Have it in eastern Colorado because the center of the US sucks for driving roads. Advertise it heavily on here, And see if we can get a LOT of 914s from both coasts to show up.

I think over 200 914s in one spot would get the attention of Porsche North America.

Have been to teenerfest, Rt66 and WCR, and it sure would be nice to party in the Rockies in the middle. Then my drive would be shorter but we would still have serious slopes to make the drives what they oughta be.

Go to Red Rocks

We already have big plans for 2020, call it what you want but should be a good event for the 50th.
+Quote Post
jcd914
post Aug 29 2018, 01:31 AM
Post #104

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 28 2018, 07:42 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 28 2018, 02:42 PM) *

QUOTE(don-6 @ Jun 17 2018, 11:12 AM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 17 2018, 07:11 AM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 17 2018, 05:56 AM) *

What if 2020 was even bigger... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Wouldn't be very "West Coast". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Thats a cool idea (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
If Mark wants to step up and plan this, I will be there.

A suggestion:

You know what would suck about the hiatus thing? The plans I already have made for 2019 in Tahoe... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

A hiatus would interfere with the plans I have made for WCR 2019, which are to go to WCR 2019 with a 914 of my own.

I don't think a hiatus is necessary.
If the event is planned well and I expect it to be, people will come.

I have a limited range of miles I can afford to go for one of these events.
I only get so much time off and with grand kids, kids and my wife all having different levels of interest in 914s. Not having WCR 2019 is not going to make it more likely I'll attend a bigger event in 2020.

I am likely to go a little farther for a special event in 2020 but it won't have anything to do with 2019.
It will depend on 2020 and the event.

Jim
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Aug 29 2018, 05:55 AM
Post #105

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

I think you guys misunderstood me.

I was thinking of combining all the events into one for 2020, not 2019.

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Aug 29 2018, 01:45 PM
Post #106

The rubber man

Tentatively Don-6 wants to organize a border to border run, or at least a moving WCR for 2020 to allow more folks to participate. We were looking at making a special Tran border badge or something like that. Not having a 2019 WCR really makes no sense. If you don;t want to come to build a bigger budget for 2020 I get it but worst case we have Rob in back up for Reno / Tahoe. area. It's beautiful country. We just want to give the SoCal guys a chance to put something together. In my opinion it's time to go back down that way, but we need someone to step up. That's why I keep bumping the thread.
+Quote Post
RoadGlue
post Aug 29 2018, 02:13 PM
Post #107

Sonoma County Gear Head

Member No.: 108

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 29 2018, 12:45 PM) *
We just want to give the SoCal guys a chance to put something together. In my opinion it's time to go back down that way, but we need someone to step up. That's why I keep bumping the thread.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Thank you!

@conedodger - How much lead-time do we need to get things reserved up in South Lake? If we don't get a SoCal member to chime in, then I don't want Tahoe to no longer be an option because we didn't act soon enough.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Aug 29 2018, 03:25 PM
Post #108

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

SoCal had indicated they wanted 2020 because of the significance. That might have been thrown into question with a push for a National event in 2020. Maybe they'll pipe in here. Otherwise, I've done these 3-4 times so I can throw it together pretty quick.
+Quote Post
RoadGlue
post Aug 29 2018, 03:36 PM
Post #109

Sonoma County Gear Head

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 29 2018, 02:25 PM) *
Maybe they'll pipe in here. Otherwise, I've done these 3-4 times so I can throw it together pretty quick.

Much lead-time do you need to secure a hotel with a big 'ol parking lot?

Thanks Rob!
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Aug 29 2018, 03:41 PM
Post #110

Apex killer!

Late October?
+Quote Post
RoadGlue
post Aug 29 2018, 04:13 PM
Post #111

Sonoma County Gear Head

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 29 2018, 02:41 PM) *

Late October?

Cool, so maybe that should be the go-date for Tahoe if the SoCal crew doesn't come through.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Aug 29 2018, 04:36 PM
Post #112

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

Problem is at that point you need a very good idea as to attendance. One could say 50 rooms and then have 200 people sign up and be screwed. Or one could say 100 rooms and only have 30 people sign up.

Perhaps we should push a poll with multiple questions for possible locations and choose a date now? Date and location make the biggest difference, the rest is price shopping for a hotel. Tahoe is easy as its a known location with lots of options, but if its another location IE socal then its more difficult and someone needs to start making plans now.

At this point if its Tahoe then Rob is going to need as much time planning it out as possible and not just location...

The only person so far who has stepped up to build 2019 WCR is Rob. 2020 is being discussed with many people.

I vote Tahoe for 2019. Shall we get a vote going?
+Quote Post
worn
post Aug 29 2018, 05:14 PM
Post #113

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(stevend914 @ Aug 28 2018, 07:59 PM) *

A suggestion:

Go to Red Rocks

I know. I want to, but this year I can’t. Next year. I hope.
+Quote Post
cary
post Aug 29 2018, 05:21 PM
Post #114

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Super In Law and would be in for Tahoe.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Aug 29 2018, 05:23 PM
Post #115

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

Sounds good. SoCal is burned up in some of the nice spots anyway. I'm up for a good drive.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Aug 29 2018, 05:32 PM
Post #116

The rubber man

Actually, we have been able to negotiate (with enough notice) the room block of 20 -25 rooms. When we did WCR this last year, they sold out and we couldn't get more at the same price. The cancellation point was 72 hours which is their standard. We can get more rooms if people step up early. So pretty much the burden is on the attendees to use the negotiated rate for the committed number of rooms. We were to have the rooms released if we got to a week before so we were not out the money.

So if the attendees step up there is no lodging problem, this only happens if people drag their feet. Some had to go to other hotels, but it did work out. The key is to start far enough out. If we got to November and there were no takers to organize this I'd think Reno i/ Tahoe is the best option.

If someone wants to step up, there are a few of us that would help with advice, and some of the behind the scenes stuff. The position is to select and finalize the date based upon the events planned and try to maximize attendance which could be done via a vote here, You get to pick the dates you are available, but if you have a event that requires warmer weather may be best later (we did early June this year).

I would highly encourage someone who has a significant other that is a planner to look at this. My wife was originally supposed to be helping, but my daughter in law stepped in to really help out. You don't have to do it all yourself, just be able to ask for some help where needed.

-Mark
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Aug 29 2018, 06:10 PM
Post #117

Apex killer!

What we have discovered at Tahoe and this may come as a shock, if you go to the events person and ask for a price for a block of rooms, they bend you over and don't use lube. People were able to actually get much lower pricing just using Hotels.Com. Biggest problem, we can have a registration count in the 60's and people don't stay at the hotel we made the arrangements at. 2010 Tahoe, Eric Shea stayed at the Marriot Timeshare down the block. He had the time share days so why stay at the hotel?

Both time we did Tahoe, we told them we were coming and got accommodations for the cars. 2010 we were given a parking area behind the hotel and it was certainly large enough. The second Tahoe event, we were on top of the parking ramp. Generally speaking, the dates we choose fall during "mud season" which is basically a throw-away for the resorts. Most have closed ski runs, too soon to mountain bike because of the muddy trails, water sports are a little on the cold side. Speaking of which, I discovered that we have a member who between him and his daughters, Captains excursion boats. I'm looking in to what it would take to get us out on the lake for a few hours.

A previous event, McMark got a bill for $5K after the event because we "failed to perform." ie: we didn't rent enough rooms. End result of that, we don't sign nothing. If they want to agree to a number of rooms without a performance contract, great. Mark W. has done that in Oregon.

If someone else steps up, and wants to do it elsewhere, I am very ok with that. But Halloween night, that's all gone. We WILL be at Tahoe.
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Aug 29 2018, 06:52 PM
Post #118

Please forgive me, I'm new to all of this!

Member No.: 20,991

Tentatively Don-6 wants to organize a border to border run, or at least a moving WCR for 2020 to allow more folks to participate. We were looking at making a special Tran border badge or something like that. Not having a 2019 WCR really makes no sense. If you don;t want to come to build a bigger budget for 2020 I get it but worst case we have Rob in back up for Reno / Tahoe. area. It's beautiful country. We just want to give the SoCal guys a chance to put something together. In my opinion it's time to go back down that way, but we need someone to step up. That's why I keep bumping the thread.

See my previous post on this thread. I threw my hat in the ring for the routing here in SoCal, but need some co-organizers to step up. I also volunteer with PCA and have put together and led on several drives. Doesn't' matter if you are from NorCal or SoCal to help out with some of the other elements.

Never been on a WCR so can't say what is involved with respect to restaurants, hotels & other activities.

If it ends up being Tahoe, that's cool too!
+Quote Post
SHREK914
post Aug 29 2018, 08:21 PM
Post #119

members

Member No.: 15,755

Santa Cruz, Ca. would be an excellent place for the WCR 2019. Amazing roads, views and food. Plenty of things to do that are auto related or not.

+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Aug 29 2018, 09:22 PM
Post #120

Apex killer!

QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Aug 29 2018, 09:52 PM) *

See my previous post on this thread. I threw my hat in the ring for the routing here in SoCal, but need some co-organizers to step up. I also volunteer with PCA and have put together and led on several drives. Doesn't' matter if you are from NorCal or SoCal to help out with some of the other elements.

Never been on a WCR so can't say what is involved with respect to restaurants, hotels & other activities.

If it ends up being Tahoe, that's cool too!

I would love-love-love for it to go to SoCal. Do you know MikeD? Leaman? They have experience.
+Quote Post

8 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:22 AM