Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Testing a side shift transmission, Can it be done out of the car?
loux951
post Jun 13 2018, 10:04 AM
Post #1

NOLA 914

Group: Members
Member No.: 758
Region Association: South East States

Hey guys,

I have a side-shift transmission with all the required conversion parts that I want to put in my 1970 1.7. I got the transmission and parts from a parts car long ago.

Before I just put this in my car to replace my tail shift which is working fine, it there a way to test it without a full rebuild?

Who knows, I may be lucky with a fully operational transmission without having to rebuild except for changing out the fluid and any leaking gaskets just like I lucked out with the original tail shifter.

Any advice is much appreciated. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Dr Evil
post Jun 13 2018, 11:50 AM
Post #2

Send me your transmission!

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

You really cant. You can move the shifter, and spin the shafts, and that is about it. You wont be able to detect usual failures like slider/band/teeth worn, broken blocks and bands, bad bearings, worn R/P. If you are concerned, pull the stack. Re-seal it is easy and worth while. Pulling the stack is simple, click on my link in my sig to the rebuilding service and it has directions for pulling and replacing.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:43 AM