Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Engine swap or "just" replace the clutch? Keen to see what you woudl do here....
Tdskip
post Jun 13 2018, 03:50 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,666
Region Association: None

Pushing aside the new one for a bit, I am chomping at the bit to get the "turbo" car into daily service. Only blocking issue at this point to using as a daily is the clutch is slipping badly. Not an adjustment issue, the clutch us just tired.

But here is the thing, I have a low mile rebuilt 2.0L with dual carbs that I picked up last weekend that is ready to be put into a car. Apparently it isn't much more work to just drop the whole engine than just dropping the transmission so why not, which has me thinking...

Pro of the engine swap is that it is ready to go and a 2.0l wthat would be going whereas the engine in the car currently is a 1.8 that seems OK but had boost on it at some point. Not sure how well that was done. Not sure if the engine was built to handle boost etc...

With the 1.8l out of the car (having been replaced by the 2.0l) I can better access what is going on with it and how healthy it is.

Con of the engine swap is that the current engine runs and seems healthy, so why mess with something you don't have to. Exhaust on it is funky, but it is all connected, so if I put the 2.0l in I can't re-use the existing exhaust so I've got to fab something up which is tine and money and delay on driving. I've not heard the 2.0l run, story and documentation on it all checks out but it could still be a paperweight for all I really know.

Give me a dope slap here if any of this is glaringly stupid or I am missing obvious things.

What would you do?
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 7)
jcd914
post Jun 13 2018, 04:00 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684
Region Association: Northern California

Just put the clutch in it and drive the 1.8 for awhile.
You will be able to better assess the condition of the 1.8, having driven it some.

Also the 2.0 will not just go in, plug and play.
They never do, there will be something you are not counting on that will stop you or add hours or days to the swap.

Just my 2 cents.
Jim
+Quote Post
914werke
post Jun 13 2018, 04:04 PM
Post #3

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

What you dont mention is how much $'s to throw at this little project.
If it was a daily driver Id spend just wat was necessary to keep it running & (relatively)
reliable.
No budget (= no $); steal the good clutch off the ready to go 2.0L & go.
Small budget; replace the questionable exhaust with an OE (or better) 2.0L exhaust & muffler, if your a little more ambitious ..go 1911.
What this allows is you to verify the 2.0L at your convenience & or improve it ala 2056 + whatever else it is found to need.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Jun 13 2018, 04:53 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Thanks gentlemen - dealing with the Devil I know has less moving parts, good point.

The only cost with what you've suggested would be the clutch alignment too for like $9 this way.

I'll put the 2.0l aside for the '74 roller and wait until I have the time and budget to do that right.

Thanks for the dope slap and wise counsel.
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Jun 13 2018, 05:03 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Does California require emission control inspection on the 1.8 (I assume it’s a ‘74)? That would put a damper on the carbed engine, but I thought they didn’t go back beyond 1976.
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Jun 13 2018, 05:49 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jun 13 2018, 06:03 PM) *

Does California require emission control inspection on the 1.8 (I assume it’s a ‘74)? That would put a damper on the carbed engine, but I thought they didn’t go back beyond 1976.

Hi George-that's a good consideration but fortunately because these cars are older than 1975 I can do whatever I want with them. Thank you for asking the question however, appreciate you taking a look.
+Quote Post
type2man
post Jun 13 2018, 06:02 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 10,127
Region Association: South East States

If you have some sort of warranty on the 2.0 slap it in and see if it works. This way you can take it back if it's a paperweight. if not just do the clutch and keep ripping on the 1.8
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Jun 13 2018, 07:03 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Thanks.

Going to start a new thread to get some coaching on what I should do while I am in there....

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:57 AM