Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Engine swap or "just" replace the clutch? Keen to see what you woudl do here....
Tdskip
post Jun 13 2018, 03:50 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,666
Region Association: None

Pushing aside the new one for a bit, I am chomping at the bit to get the "turbo" car into daily service. Only blocking issue at this point to using as a daily is the clutch is slipping badly. Not an adjustment issue, the clutch us just tired.

But here is the thing, I have a low mile rebuilt 2.0L with dual carbs that I picked up last weekend that is ready to be put into a car. Apparently it isn't much more work to just drop the whole engine than just dropping the transmission so why not, which has me thinking...

Pro of the engine swap is that it is ready to go and a 2.0l wthat would be going whereas the engine in the car currently is a 1.8 that seems OK but had boost on it at some point. Not sure how well that was done. Not sure if the engine was built to handle boost etc...

With the 1.8l out of the car (having been replaced by the 2.0l) I can better access what is going on with it and how healthy it is.

Con of the engine swap is that the current engine runs and seems healthy, so why mess with something you don't have to. Exhaust on it is funky, but it is all connected, so if I put the 2.0l in I can't re-use the existing exhaust so I've got to fab something up which is tine and money and delay on driving. I've not heard the 2.0l run, story and documentation on it all checks out but it could still be a paperweight for all I really know.

Give me a dope slap here if any of this is glaringly stupid or I am missing obvious things.

What would you do?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 03:00 AM