Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 Project Help, New to 914 builds
ASMIT28
post Jun 13 2018, 10:06 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,034
Region Association: Southern California

I currently own a 1971 Porsche 1.7 914 i am a big fan I am of Porsches so this will be my very first project. I want to build it slowly but right with the $ I can spend on it.

The previous owner informed me the 1.7 engine needs a rebuild so after a compression test surely it did. I was able to recently pick up a 1.8 engine and trans off a 1974 914. The reason for this was so the engine was rebuilt with 7,000 miles until the owner was hit in an accident. He was able to save the engine and transmission and put it in his tool shed. The reason for this purchase was my hopes to get the side shift transmission and engine together and do an engine swap with the current 1.7. Since I am not familiar with air cooled cars besides what I can read on the forums, what steps would I need to make the swap happen as smoothly as possible. Any suggestions would be great.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jun 14 2018, 07:47 AM
Post #2

Michael

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) Well heck that is the way to get into 914's. I think it would help you get replies if you posted pictures of what you actually have to begin with.

Is that the replacement engine with just 7K miles on it? I sure hope not- it looks like it has never been touched. Is that the transaxle? Lets see what you have to work with and then people will jump in.
Good luck and have fun along the way. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:43 AM