Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> gas cap gasket, source and fill question
Abeck914
post Jun 14 2018, 10:22 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,677
Region Association: None

Hi all,

I checked a bunch of things and got rid of most of my gas vapor smell [opened up nipple in overflow cup, blew through the overflow line, pulled the breather hose straight and down 1/2", refilled charcoal canister, checked fuel pump, replaced filler neck gasket].

that solved 95% of my vapor smell. but when i drive adventurously I am still getting smell on turns. fair enough, its gas cap gasket time.

So, where are you guys buying gaskets from? The only parts listing that I feel comfortable with after reading online is 914rubber. But I can't say I enjoy paying $15 shipping for a $5 gasket. Any other recommendations? I've tried some VW sources and they don't seem to have the correct ID and OD, close but a little off.

And, I guess while we are on this topic. How did you guys fill your tanks? I was reading on the Samba that they are all putting the nozzle all the way in and filling until click. which isn't giving them a full tank. Interested in hearing how you guys are doing it since I assumed I knew how to fill a gas tank (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Thanks,

Aaron
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Jun 14 2018, 10:30 AM
Post #2

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

There should be a plastic guard inside the filler that will only let you put the gas nozzle in so far.
+Quote Post
Matty900
post Jun 14 2018, 10:36 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 18,454
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Abeck914 @ Jun 14 2018, 09:22 AM) *

Hi all,

I checked a bunch of things and got rid of most of my gas vapor smell [opened up nipple in overflow cup, blew through the overflow line, pulled the breather hose straight and down 1/2", refilled charcoal canister, checked fuel pump, replaced filler neck gasket].

that solved 95% of my vapor smell. but when i drive adventurously I am still getting smell on turns. fair enough, its gas cap gasket time.

So, where are you guys buying gaskets from? The only parts listing that I feel comfortable with after reading online is 914rubber. But I can't say I enjoy paying $15 shipping for a $5 gasket. Any other recommendations? I've tried some VW sources and they don't seem to have the correct ID and OD, close but a little off.

And, I guess while we are on this topic. How did you guys fill your tanks? I was reading on the Samba that they are all putting the nozzle all the way in and filling until click. which isn't giving them a full tank. Interested in hearing how you guys are doing it since I assumed I knew how to fill a gas tank (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Thanks,

Aaron

Hi Aaron,
I think you're probably right about it being the seal.

914rubber will get you the correct shipping charge on that, just having issues with the site calculating shipping correctly. Hope to have that fixed on the new site by the end of the month. Just been busy getting my car done for West Coast Rally. (I am down dealing with this on my car right now but it is because I have a small leak we believe from a crack near the nipple on the bottom so the tank will come out Saturday)
You can always choose "print and call" at checkout if your not sure about something in your order like shipping charges, and Scott will reach out to you to complete the order.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Matt Whitesell
914 Rubber

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 12:10 AM