Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Survived, Back home from WCR18
worn
post Jun 16 2018, 01:48 PM
Post #1

can't remember

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

We pulled in a bit past 11:00 am this morning. Just under 5,000 miles and just over two weeks. Car and occupants returned home under their own power. It was fun, and also as we are all old, it hurt.

We saw bison, glaciers, and a whole lot of pickup trucks. Outside of WCR no Porsche’s. In fact, while there were thumbs ups, few people knew what kinda car it is.

I am very pleased that: I put in a washer pump and intermediate wipers. I used a “99” relay from VW. That means you pull the stalk down and it swipes once. Turn off. Then when you are ready to go again, pull the stalk down and leave it. The wipers will make another swipe, and thereafter another swipe based on that set interval. Best ever. I am also pleased we had the 3.2 six with taller gears as advised by the evil doctor. New bilstein shocks were a help, as were the alu S brakes.

The oil leaks drove me to distraction, as did troubles with window and door controls. Still, every time I turned the key thousands of miles from home the engine fired up, eager to go.

To answer a question: two weeks is too long for retirement age folks, used to comfort. At the end we were getting up at 4 am, knowing it would hit a hundred degrees by two pm. Stopped at that point for car and occupants. The temp gauge kreeped up to half way by then and pressure fell to a bit over 3 bar (45 psi) at 2800 rpm. The sweat by then had us both adhered firmly to the seats. Best Western? Why, yes. Certainly. Pull off.

The front trunk pull never failed, but new front rubbers to seal the hood pushed so hard on the latch that Donna had to push down while I pulled the handle.

Happy Lemans to you all.
We returned to find our friend Chris Bebe with this:
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 16 2018, 06:13 PM
Post #2

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Great news. It's never about the destination; only the journey. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
worn
post Jun 16 2018, 06:46 PM
Post #3

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 16 2018, 04:13 PM) *

Great news. It's never about the destination; only the journey. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Yeah, the journey be cool. One thing that occurred to me was the idea of having willing souls with lifts volunteering to help the journeying teener to check for loose or missing hardware at or around the turning for home point. Say a hundred dollar lift ride with options on longer. Woulda helped me. No space for jack stands and no faith in the factory jack. Maybe a mimeographed list?
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 16 2018, 07:17 PM
Post #4

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(worn @ Jun 16 2018, 05:46 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 16 2018, 04:13 PM) *

Yeah, the journey be cool. One thing that occurred to me was the idea of having willing souls with lifts volunteering to help the journeying teener to check for loose or missing hardware at or around the turning for home point. Say a hundred dollar lift ride with options on longer. Woulda helped me. No space for jack stands and no faith in the factory jack. Maybe a mimeographed list?

The same (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) can be said for more contemporay cars. Take a bow Warren, you done good! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Jun 17 2018, 09:02 AM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I’m proud of you two. What an adventure.
+Quote Post
carking1996
post Jun 17 2018, 09:09 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 20,399
Region Association: North East States

I always had a soft spot for Toyota Seras
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:55 AM